News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbon bar of Generalleutnant Alfred von Besser

• 9 months later...

And here's another piece of Generalleutnant v. Besser's story, thanks to Dave's upload of Die Ritter des Eisernen Kreuzes in alphabetischer Reihenfolge Heft 2, Feb 1915 ( :cheers:). How v. Besser won the EK1 1914 is one of the longest citations in the entire book:

Besser4.jpg

Edited by webr55

That would be an interesting book, what does it mention? All the EK1 and the reasons for award?

And here's another piece of Generalleutnant v. Besser's story, thanks to Dave's upload of Die Ritter des Eisernen Kreuzes in alphabetischer Reihenfolge Heft 2, Feb 1915 ( :cheers:). How v. Besser won the EK1 1914 is one of the longest citations in the entire book:

• 2 years later...

And another piece of Besser escapes oblivion - from the days of Victorian globalization:

As a young Leutnant, he went or was sent to the US -- to the 1876 Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia. Not only that - he wrote a book about it: "Sechs Wochen in Nord-Amerika", printed (presumably financed by himself) in Berlin in 1877.

I managed to get a copy of the book - it is not particularly interesting, written in a plain and sober style, depicting where he went and what he did. This is the cover page:

• 3 months later...

I think I've found another reason for his affection towards the Garde-Schützen-Bataillon: There was an Oberstleutnant von Besser commanding the GSB in 1866. Is it possible that this was his father? I don't have the relevant ranklists, could anyone check this? 

Edited by webr55

• 5 years later...

I have had this bar for many years, but only now found out what the last ribbon is: It is not, as Rick thought long ago, a regimental medal. It is the Dutch 1901 Wedding Medal (Huwelijksmedaille, https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huwelijksmedaille_1901) for the Wedding of Queen Wilhelmina and Prince Hendrik of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. Besser, then OTL, must have been a guest at the wedding, which makes additional sense since he had a connection to Mecklenburg and several of their awards.