News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian Resistance Medal Groups with US Bronze Stars

Hello all,

I have two Belgian WWII era mounted medal bars that include US Bronze Stars. I know that General Eisenhower awarded some Belgians (and Frenchmen) after WWII that helped downed US Airmen escape back to England. Is there a way to find out which Belgians were awarded the US Bronze Stars?

Without having the real answer I can add some pieces to the puzzle..

First bar: both the military division of the Officer in the Order of Leopold I and the Military Cross indicate a career officer.

Second bar: the tower on the War Cross indicates someone with the corps of engineers ("genie") and the 3 bars (at least I think there are three bronze bars?) on the POW might indicate a French-speaking recipient. (Although it's not an ironclad proof, but most Flemish recipients were sent home after 6 months to a year. The French speaking POW's spent longer)

I let the experts contradict me when I'm wrong....

cheers

L4h

I know that General Eisenhower awarded some Belgians (and Frenchmen) after WWII that helped downed US Airmen escape back to England. Is there a way to find out which Belgians were awarded the US Bronze Stars?

Hello James & L4h,

The US medal used to reward members of escape lines wasn't the Bronze Star but the Medal of Freedom and in this context I can strongly recommend the book by Peter Verstraeten, published last year, entitled "The US Medal of Freedom awarded to Belgians for Service during World War II". It reflects the 5 years of research he did on the subject and contains all recipients and describes the activities for which their awards were made - very nicely illustrated with pictures etc. too ...

Similarly, in order to find the same information on Belgian Bronze Star recipients, one would have to spend quite some time in the Belgian military archives in Brussels to compile a list of awardees.

I tend to think that the Bronze Star would mostly, perhaps even exclusively, have been awarded to Belgians for bravery in a military role, i.e. while in assistance of US troops.

As to the tower device on the Croix de Guerre ribbon, that was created for award to "persons who, whilst accomplishing a mission of public interest or a civic duty, showed exceptional bravery against the enemy". No need to be in the engineers corps as far as I know, in fact I think civilians (e.g. resistance members) were the most likely to receive it.

Also, drawing the conclusion that 3 bars on the POW medal means a French language recipient as opposed to a Flemish speaking one, can't be considered the rule (as L4h indicated, not "ironclad proof"). Not all Flemish POW's were released within a year; some never were and as a rule officers, whatever their language, spent a far longer time in POW camps than enlisted men.

I notice both groups contain the Armed Resistance Medal and am, therefore, drawn to suggest the award of the Bronze Star may have to do with bravery while serving with the US troops during the liberation of Belgium. It's a possibility but not necessarily the gospel truth ;)

Cheers,

Hendrik

hi

also some soldiers of the fusiliers's battalions, having been served with the us army, received the bronze star. the name of these soldiers is included in historical book the ?of the Belgian battalions of fusiliers of plan SHAEF 1944-1945? by Henry de Pinchart.

for example :

the adjudant of first class - F/16 class - 0296 - R Dupont, for the courage of which it made proof during the german's campaign, particularly in Remagen on March 15, 1945, is titular of the bronze star (Belgian monitor of the 26 at December 28, 1947) - he was in the 16? fusilers's battalions

pegase001

All of your imputs are great! I find it interesting that the second bar has the Bronze Star in the middle after the War Cross. Thank you for all your replies. And I am pleased to be apart of the Gerntalman's Military Interest Group. James

I find it interesting that the second bar has the Bronze Star in the middle after the War Cross.

Hello again James,

I agree it is interesting : theoretically, according to the then regulations, as a foreign award it should be the last in the group. Personally I like it where it is : it shows how the recipient valued it and I find that more important than rules in the order of wearing medals. What the heck, the crossed sabres on the WW2 Commemorative Medal aren't regulations' size either ... so what, they deserve to be that size, don't they ? :-)

Cheers,

Hendrik

Thanks Hendrik, you may not remember me but we have talked a lot over the years and I think I first met you through eBay, then your web site. I am "gldank" on ebay. regards. James

I have a named bronze star to a Belgian, that was given to him for "meritious service in connection with military operations against the ennemy as senior Belgian Liaison Officer serving with the US First Army Civil Affairs Division".

Not sure this helps, but there you go =o)

Jan

Hello Jan,

thank you for the reply. Could you post a picture of your group? I am very interested and I am sure others would be too. kind regards.

Edited by Gldank