Gentleman's Military Interest Club

dond   

The most beautiful awards of all the German States, the Zahringen Lion from Baden. Here is a 2dclass with swords and oaks. Comments are welcome.

thanks

Don

well...... I don't know about "most beautiful"..... that will stir much debate!! but it sure is rare with the O/L's and it sure is pretty!

Just my opinion but the OZL goes to third place based on what I've seen here. Still it is the only award using crystal in the assembly, correct? Hard to rank the other two as they are most attractive. :D

So what is it about Henries???

St. Hank is also exceedingly high on my list too!

Think we're out of Henries!

Then there was Henry VIII - better not go there...

dond   

Yes Rick, that's a "D" on the oaks. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me the OZL is the bling bling of imperial.

Don

Yes Rick, that's a "D" on the oaks. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me the OZL is the bling bling of imperial.

Don

Indeed a wonderful example, Don :beer:

What stands the makermark for?

Gerd

dond   

I don't know Gerd but I'm sure one of the "Ricks" will let us know.

Don

I like the Order of the Z?hringen Lion a lot, but I'm not sure it would be tops for me among Baden decorations. I kinda like this one:

Edited by Dave Danner

Blitz   

Yes indeed, one of 14 that were awarded with x during ww1. You can't get much more rarer than that..

IMO the OZL is the most beatifull order of Baden (it basically stole my heart when I got my first one), but Henry still gets the first place overall.

Perhaps I would feel differently if I actually had a chance to fondle a ZL firsthand, but for the time being, this is my favorite design. (Pic borrowed from Dave's website.) There's something so delightfully heraldric about it.

Landsknechte,

Gotta hand it to you ? that?s a real ?looker? ? beautiful!

Just to prove that my prescription requires a higher dosage, might I throw out another personal favorite ? Mecklenburg?s Griffin Order ? something about the red enamel & strikingly simple and elegant design that has always touched my fancy.