News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Ritterkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwertern am Ring was auctioned in the UBS auction this past January 23.

As noted in the description (by Michael Autengruber), with only 13 awards, the originality of the swords on this piece couldn't be guaranteed. Nevertheless, the risk was enough that bidders drove the price up to 1,050 Swiss francs, plus auction commissions. That is a fair amount of money for a gamble where the odds are against you.

• Replies 103
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice family member :)

If I'm not mistaken, the first one is the Bulgarian Order of St. Cyril and Methodius.

Take a look at its larger cousin here at eMedals:

St. Cyril and Methodius

/Mike

Thanks for the reply. It could be an Order of St. Cyril and Methodius, but I do not think it is the Bulgarian one as the latter had quite different insignia. Here is a Grand Cross of the latter from the Bulgarian military museum.

o2s-m.jpg

Edited by Carol I

No other opinion? Below is the star of the order. It is in the Bulgarian colours (white-green-red) and it has an image of the two saints in the centre, yet it does not look at all as the star of the Bulgarian Order of St. Cyril and Methodius above.

bg173001wv1.jpg

Gentlemen,

Before this thread fades away, I would like to return to its original purpose, OZL, and present one more item. Few insignia present a greater challenge to the miniature artist than those of this order. While the difficulty of replicating the center medallion is obvious, the floral decoration between the arms of the cross (see post #69) is often under appreciated.

The example shown below shows yet another feature of this order, the unique oak leaves, nicely replicated.

Regards,

Wild Card

Earlier piece with still radiant silver lining underneath the green glass arms:

It is in my humble opinion not too early, is it? Is the medaillon still real gold, or gilt? I guess this type to be from about 1905 to 1910, so quite late - compared to ones from 1866, 1875 or 1880s. ;)

Great thread, by the way. Keep them lions coming. :P

It is in my humble opinion not too early, is it? Is the medaillon still real gold, or gilt? I guess this type to be from about 1905 to 1910, so quite late - compared to ones from 1866, 1875 or 1880s. ;)

Great thread, by the way. Keep them lions coming. :P

Real Gold.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting.. I do have general knowledge on bulgarian orders, but it doesn't go this deep. I'd be very curious to find out what the obvious difference stands for.

I have found out that the unknown badge in question is that of the clerical Order of St. Cyril and Methodius established in 1904 by the Roman Catholic Church in Bulgaria. The order has not been disbanded after the establishment of the state order with the same name, but the church had ceased to award it to avoid confusions.

If you think this off topic discussion is interesting enough to have its own thread, please move messages #77-82 & #92 into Central & Eastern European States. Thanks.

Love those old decorations, congratuliations to an extremely fine one. You said it is about 1850? So it has to be one of the earliest Commander Stars, they were just introduced not much before 1850 (in 1840s, if I remember correctly).

Amazingly there a four stones in front of the castle!?

Yes, pretty normal with these early pieces. Later someone came and kicked one of these rocks away, so there remain just three of them. ;)

No, seriously, I've got no idea what this means, if it should mean anything.

• 9 years later...