Gentleman's Military Interest Club

Just traded this for a British WW1 medal group (?75), I am sure that the medals do not come with....but very tight fit, however its purported to have been together since being picked up in Germany by a Brit in 1945....as ever welcome your thoughts

Edited by dante

Just traded this for a British WW1 medal group (?75), I am sure that the medals do not come with....however its purported to have been together since being picked up in Germany by a Brit in 1945....as ever welcome your thoughts

Steel EKI looks like pin replaced , pin maker marked "5" (Hermann Wernstein from Jena-L?bstadt)

Edited by dante

Steel EKI looks like pin replaced , pin maker marked "5"

Ah those old aristocratic families...

the fitted case certainly looks like it was meant for those.

So:

TWO suspects, as the ONLY non-regulars as of 1914.

They weren't "von Blombegs"...

they were FREIHERRN von Blombergs

Rittmeister der Reserve (in 1914 living in Detmold, Lippe) Freiherr von Blomberg (whose first name MAY have been Moritz, with estate in nearby Iggenhausen, Westphalia) who already had an LD1-- in K?rassier Regiment 4

or

Stabsarzt der Reserve Dr. Freiherr von Blomberg, LD1 holder, resident in Landwehrbezirk Kosten, Vth Army Corps area in 1914.

My bet would be on the old cavalry Captain. Perfect geography for 1945 souveniring.

Complex titled noblemen often shortened their names-- after all HE knew who he was.

Rick, outstanding.....I understand K?rassier officers favoured steel EK1s on their K?rass

Did you say you traded this for 75 pounds? I hope I read that wrong.

I traded a Brit group for it that cost me about that albeit a few years ago for it yestaday.........on the basis that group was ok.....but nothing special and the EK1 and wound had been added........he collects Brit and I try to collect Imperial

I understand K?rassier officers favoured steel EK1s on their K?rass

I've heard similar things about K?rassiers favoring certain types of EK1's (for example, the ones with two or four small screw backs on the reverse side) that were or could be worn on their breast plates. Call me a sceptic about the stories being real.

Les

Rittmeister der Reserve (in 1914 living in Detmold, Lippe) Freiherr von Blomberg (whose first name MAY have been Moritz, with estate in nearby Iggenhausen, Westphalia) who already had an LD1-- in K?rassier Regiment 4

or

Stabsarzt der Reserve Dr. Freiherr von Blomberg, LD1 holder, resident in Landwehrbezirk Kosten, Vth Army Corps area in 1914.

Rick,

I can confirm that the Rittmeister was Moritz Friedrich Wilhelm Julius Frhr. v. Blomberg and the Stabsarzt was Karl Gotthardt Eberhard Frhr. v. Blomberg.

Karl Frhr. v. Blomberg was promoted to Oberstabsarzt d.R. on 28.11.14 whilst serving with Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 58.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn-- have you got anything birth/death related? I've had no luck turning either up. Obviously the Prime Suspect would have had to be alive in 1934/35.

Baron Moritz ( :cheers: ) wouldn't have gotten anything from Lippe since he was not in an affliated unit and his nearest-District Command norminal reporting office would not have been enough of a connection, especially if he never served anywhere within VIIth Army Corps.

If anyone could add to this most excellent research by Rick & Glenn I would welcome it..as ever many thanks, Paul

Posted (edited)

I can add this

Andy

Name

Rang

Regiment

Rittm

Oblt

Leutn

Geb

geboren

gestoren

Gest

Blomberg, Moritz Frhr. von

Rittm. d.R.

KR 4

Detmold

Iggenhausen

He transferred to the reserve of KR 4 from Landw. Kav. I Aufg. on 20.11.1913.

He was a Rittergutsbesitzer, Iggenhausen b. Lage (Lippe)

Edited by arb

It would appear that it is neither of the two Blombergs identified above.

Moritz Frhr.v. Blomberg, *19.12.1870 in Detmold, †1.4.1940 auf Iggenhausen, received the Lippe Kriegsverdienstkreuz on 4.2.1915 and acknowledged receipt of the cross by an Empfang dated 22.2.1915. He wasn't in a Lippe-connected formation, as Rick had noted above, but he was born in Lippe's capital and his father had been a Fürstlich lippischer Kammerdirektor and Kammerherr.

Dr. Karl Frhr.v. Blomberg  was born on 24.6.1860 in Berlin and died on 21.6.1930 in Weimar. He was a Sanitätsrat and Direktor of the Provinzial Irren- und Idiotenanstalt in Kosten. He was a Rechtsritter of the Johanniterorden. Since he died in 1930, he would not have had the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer unless the family mounted it posthumously.

Ha....so back to the beginning.......help !!!!