News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Calgary Museum of the Regiments

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

:Cat-Scratch: Are all those newly mounted groups and the lone VC closeup before post #30 display replicas-- or did somebody STAYBRITE plate them? :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

The ones starting at post 30 seem to be original and untouched.

Hey Rick,

I'm sure most the VC's are repros. In a couple of the pictures you can see that the 1914-15 Stars have pebbling on their surfaces. Not exactly like the originals. Many vets had their medals plated after the war. Either by themselves or relatives that thought they looked so much nicer all shiny and such. I would be surprised if any of the VC's were original. However most of the DSO's and MM's did look good from what I saw.

• Replies 52
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Darrell,

A wonderful display of photographs of orders, decorations, medals and equipment. Thanks for taking the trouble to post them all here. Very well done.

Alas, virtually every single decoration in the display for Lord Strathcona and Mount Royal is incorrectly described in the museum display. Stars labelled as badges, etc. Quite amazingly the breast star of his Order of St John of Jerusalem is labelled as a "habit". It only takes a few seconds to look up a dictionary to find out what the word habit means.

Even Lord Strathcona's titles are wrong. I am sure the director of the museum would be the first to stand on his dignity, if he were do be described as "Master Jack Smith, Curator Dr John Smith, Esq" or given some such other rediculous label. There cannot be that many Canadians from Calgary who became peers, so one would expect a modicum of research into getting things right.

Sorry to get on my soapbox, but these sorts of mistakes really ge me going.

Cheers,

James

47. HUGE medal rack for WA Milroy:

Sadly, another erroneous display and label.

Milroy was Lieutenant-General Williams Alexander Milroy, DSO, CM, CStJ, CD**, thus not a "MajGen". His "Order of Canada" was a Membership and should be displayed immediately after his DSO, not before.

Cheers,

James