News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wounded soldiers should be awarded British Purple Hearts

Once in my previous college - which did a lot of adult education - I noticed an older lady wearing a 1914-20 British War Medal (no ribbon) on a chain round her neck. I asked her about it and she told me that it was her father's - he'd had 3 daughters and each had one of his 'Pip, Squeak and Wilfred' to wear in his memory.

Part of me squealed at breaking up a family group, but the rest of me applauded the way in which the girls had chosen to keep his memory alive.

A few years ago I was handed some car keys by a relatve of the vehicle owner - the fob was a 1914 - 15 Star, the vehicle owner's grandads. Better than throwing it away I suppose.

• Replies 53
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Once in my previous college - which did a lot of adult education - I noticed an older lady wearing a 1914-20 British War Medal (no ribbon) on a chain round her neck. I asked her about it and she told me that it was her father's - he'd had 3 daughters and each had one of his 'Pip, Squeak and Wilfred' to wear in his memory.

Part of me squealed at breaking up a family group, but the rest of me applauded the way in which the girls had chosen to keep his memory alive.

Normally, I cringe at the thought of using someone's medal(s) as jewelry, but your story is very touching. While it is a pity his Trio was split up, I think it's wonderful they all stayed with his daughters instead of being sold off. I also think it speaks volumes about the kind of man her father was that she still wore his medal so many years later. He must've been quite a guy. :)

Won't quibble over words. It is allowed by regulations.

What is done in Australia if three grandchildren all want to wear grandad's gongs, do they all go out and have "replica" groups concocted?

I don't know, I have never worn anything but the originals. However I have ceased the practice because I figure if he ain't around to wear them anymore then they deserve to be in a frame. I wouldn't want to lose them on the piss either.

Plus I have enough of my own... :cheeky: