News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Monster Ribbon Bar!! MORE HELP PLEASE

Guest Rick Research

Vanity thy name was Randy Edgar! :jumping:

In the only photos we've found of him so far, presumably from 1944, he has been wearing 7 over 7, which ended with his WW1 awards up top and started below with his Hindenburg Cross. That was just to be "neat" and symmetrical.

Normally when two rows were worn, they were usually "cropped" up top AT the Hindenburg Cross, so when only ONE row was worn, it made a complete "this is all the good stuff." That is what happened here-- this SECOND partial ribbon array is the lower 6 from when an upper 8 was worn. :beer:

Here is an example, from Prof. Dr. med. et Dr. phil. Generalstabsarzt Ernst Koschel (1875-1961):

[attachmentid=14433]

worn so all the "important stuff" was on a Reduced Wear version. (This was my consolation prize immediately after his entire everything awards, uniforms, papers were sold at the 2000 MAX Show).

And to illustrate fashion whims, here is Dr Koschel's ribbon bar worn in a long single row:

[attachmentid=14435]

This second ribbon bar was STOLEN in the mail July 2002, with my suspicion based on a mass of other thievery by an Oklahoma member of the United States Postal Service. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

You can bet your dying breaths that I have been WATCHING for this to surface ever since and will continue to do so until MY d.b.-- anyone who sees this second ribbon bar being offered, kindly contact me and if the seller is NOT connected to German or American Customs or Post Office and does NOT live in Oklahoma, kindly inform them that they have bought stolen goods and see if they can name who it was they got it from. A federal felony is involved here.

Guest WAR LORD

My very Dear Stogi I think this is all there is. I will keep you informed. There are many other interesting things in the general muddel. As I can post I will. AGAIN MY VERY SINCER THANKS TO YOU BOTH. If you could post the bio of our "Funnky friend" I would be very greatful.

• 4 months later...

GENERAL Edgar FEUCHTINGER..?

Not by the end of the war he wasn't :shame:

In fact he was busted DOWN to KANONIER !

5th january 1945. ARRESTED, imprisoned in Torgau Military Fortress, to await COURT MARTIAL regarding his absence [without leave?] from Divisional HQ of 21st Panzer Divison on the night of the D Day Landings. Sentenced to DEATH and reduced in rank to Kanonier. [Private in Artillery]

However.....!

2nd March 1945 [Germany in trouble!] PARDONED and TRANSFERRED to 20th Panzer Grenadier Division as a Kanonier. He disobeyed orders and fled to Celle and was later captured by the allies 29/5/45

If you want more info and you have not got it just shout ;)

Regards

Matt Gibbs

Guest WAR LORD

Many thanks. I am trying to get as much about him to go with the bar. Also would like to try and get an example of each of the awards he had. I think I have the KC and possibly the DK in silver. Any photos of him would also be wonderful.

STOGIMAN THOUGHT THE AWARDS WERE

1914 Prussian EK2 with nice '39 Repeat Award Spange

1939 War Merit Cross, Second Class w. Swords

1941 East Medal

Imperial Baden Z?hringen Lion, Knight's Cross w. swords (RK1, RK2??)

Imperial W?rttemburg Friedrich's Order, Knight's Cross w. Swords (RK1, RK2??)

Imperial Hamburg Hanseatic Cross (check back, if blueish center than it's Hesse!)

Imperial Austrian Military Merit Cross w. War Decoration

Honor Cross for Combattants

Heer/KM Long Service Pair

Olympic's Honor Cross (not medal!)

West Wall Defense Medal

Hungarian WW1 Commemorative Service Medal

??? on last one

Edited by WAR LORD

Absolute pleasure Stogieman, and Warlord!

It is likely that a trained official like him would think in March 1945 the end was obvious to all and he decided he was not going to lose his life after being right through the war! :D

Whatever happened in those last days I wonder if the official records on his file would make interesting reading, for whomever has the group this is for sure. Not sure who owns it now of course!

If you go HERE

http://www.specialcamp11.fsnet.co.uk/Gener...Feuchtinger.htm

There is plenty of his biographical data, promotions and details of his career. Also a list of his awards, I assume this comes from the official POW data and so is assumed correct, why would British Officials add or subtract from his statement about such unimportant things at that time?

Additional awards to the list already:

Ritterkreuz 6.8.44 [possibly for Caen?] Generalmajor 21st Panzer Div.

DKiS 15.7.43 Oberst and Kdr Art.Br.West 931

No mention of the Olympic medal but possibly they did not consider it a mil.award? Have a look to see the other details.

Good luck with more research :beer:

• 5 months later...

Fascinating thread!

This is an extremely nice bar that one day I could only wish to own :blush: Finding out who the recipient was is extremely interesting as it fills out the story of the piece. I have a couple short ones but I imagine it is near impossible to research those ones as so many soldiers would have the same medals. These longer ones are probably a little bit easier to find info on, but still a needle in the haystack of remaining pics and documents that survived the war, kudos to Rick again. Has anyone found any more info on this General? I think I heard about him in a D-Day documentary or two, and he is definitely an infamous member of the Wehrmacht. Nice find Chris, by the way did you acquire the German cross in silver and the Knights cross as well?

Cheers,

Pat

Guest WAR LORD

The KC and the German Cross in silver were in the collection, but one can not say they are his. Chances are that they were his by association.