News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New Canadian Medal

On 29 August 2008 the Governor-General of Canada announced, on behalf of HM The Queen, that a new medal is to be established called the Sacrifice Medal. It is to be awarded to a member of the Canadian Forces, a member of an allied force, or a Canadian civilian under the authority of the Canadian Forces who, as of October 7, 2001, died or was wounded under honourable circumstances as a direct result of hostile action.

The press release is to be found here: http://www.gg.ca/media/doc.asp?lang=e&DocID=5483, unfortunately only sketches are available as yet.

Edited by Megan

Guest Darrell

I'd rather not see any at all, ever. :beer:

Why that precise (and seemingly random?) date?

Well .. at least they will be engraved with recipients name ... better than nichts.

I'd rather not see any at all, ever. :beer:

Of course I didn't mean it that way! :unsure:

I meant I would just like to see a real one that's been manufactured, not one that's been awarded. Hopefully, none will be awarded, but since the eligibility date has been back-dated, you know there are aleady recipients yet to be named.

Canada's new Purple Heart.

Yes, so characterized by newspapermen ('newspaperpersons ?) who can't be bothered to do some basic research. The implication in the story I saw was that Canada is only now 'catching up' to the USA (and I mean no slight on American honours and awards here). In fact, Canada had 'wound stripes' a century ago, even if they've fallen abeyance more recently.

On the other hand, just to play devil's advocate here, how will / should recipients and their families feel about a new "forgot to duck" award? Again, no disrepect to our troops - I have friends in Afghanistan even as I write this - but I've always been slightly bothered by the notion that we reward ba d luck. How do those of you who've seen the elephant feel about this? An honest question, BTW, and not an attempt toi start any quarrels / flame wars.

Peter

(clearly someone who has never served in an army/unit on active service)

Guest Darrell

......how will / should recipients and their families feel about a new "forgot to duck" award? ..

I'm not sure "forgetting to duck" has anything to do with getting killed or maimed by a roadside IED, but whatever.

I think this would be the least the Nation could do to recognize those who have "sacrificed" their lifes or at least put them in danger for all our sorry carcasses (mine included). I know we still have the Silver Memorial Cross, but it isn't given out unless you come home in a box.

All I can say is KUDOs :cheers:

Yes, so characterized by newspapermen ('newspaperpersons ?) who can't be bothered to do some basic research. The implication in the story I saw was that Canada is only now 'catching up' to the USA (and I mean no slight on American honours and awards here). In fact, Canada had 'wound stripes' a century ago, even if they've fallen abeyance more recently.

Sigh, this sort of thing irks me too. Our newspaperpersons in the UK do much the same.

What is even more annoying is seeing our own military often following suit. In Afghanistan and Iraq, they have even taken to wearing US rank insginia. A sort of shoulder device afixed vertically on the chest with American stars and sundry whiz-bangs.

I hope when the UK announces our own "wound medal" they take a lead from the Canadians and not try to immitate the US.

James

I hope when the UK announces our own "wound medal" they take a lead from the Canadians and not try to immitate the US.

Absolutely

I like what Canada has done with this medal, even the name

Although the name was bugging me for several days until I remembered that the

South Vietnamese Government Civilian Wound Medal was callled The Medal of Sacrifice

For what it's worth . . .

The New York City Police Department's award for officers wounded in the

line of duty is called The Purple Shield

I think this medal is an example of if it ain't broken don't fix it.... Not that the wounded and killed shouldn't be honoured, but the killed service members are currently commemorated with a memorial cross for the next of kin, and i prefer the idea of wound stripes to medals any day. Are they now going to phase out the memorial cross????

Just my way of thinking

Chris

I think this medal is an example of if it ain't broken don't fix it.... Not that the wounded and killed shouldn't be honoured, but the killed service members are currently commemorated with a memorial cross for the next of kin, and i prefer the idea of wound stripes to medals any day.

Chris,

The trouble with wound stripes is that they can only apply to service dress and cannot be taken into civilian life, the police, coast guard, fire brigade, ambulance service, corps of commissionaires, etc.

James

Chris,

The trouble with wound stripes is that they can only apply to service dress and cannot be taken into civilian life, the police, coast guard, fire brigade, ambulance service, corps of commissionaires, etc.

James

For the military, stick to the wound stripe!! For everyone else, hey whatever you like, but the military and other groups should not have the same style of awards. If they are, they should have different ribbons and such to denote military from non-military. We're starting to look like the American's with the amount of hardware on the uniforms, no offence to our American brethren.

Cheers,

James

Edited by JamesM

For the military, stick to the wound stripe!! For everyone else, hey whatever you like, but the military and other groups should not have the same style of awards. If they are, they should have different ribbons and such to denote military from non-military. We're starting to look like the American's with the amount of hardware on the uniforms, no offence to our American brethren.

Cheers,

James

Agreed, if Commonweath/Imperial convention is adhered to then the medal should have an additional stripe or border edge colour to indicate a military award.

Regards,

Johnsy

Guest Darrell

Agreed, if Commonweath/Imperial convention is adhered to then the medal should have an additional stripe or border edge colour to indicate a military award.

Regards,

Johnsy

I think that's the whole point. Canada has been on this kick to get away from the Commonwealth stigma and go to their own Honours System for years. Just look at their recent (70's) creation of new awards (plus the "new" VC design).

Cheers,

James

James,

I certainly agree with you about the regretable increase in the amount of "hardware" on uniforms. Partly due to the Aussies, rather than the Americans.

Ever since their new-found republicanism and the ditching of "Imperial" awards, the Aussies have gone in for what can only be described as an orgy of medals. Not content with their own medals, the senior brass also trapse off to Singapore and Indonesia to fill their chests with gaudy sashes and other foreign awards.

Fellow Commonwealth soldiers often argue that they are "deprived" compared with their Australian counterparts. Many is the time that they have raised the argument that the Queen in Australia does so and so, therefore we in the UK must have the same. Once the soldiery raise the issue, then some busybody in parliament takes it up and before you know it, a campaign has started.

However, as regards the wound stripe versus medal, the question remains as to how a soldier recognised by the award of a stripe on his uniform will be able to take that into civilian life? How are civilians going to be able to recognise that award? At least a medal will be easily understood and he could wear it at events when medals are worn. If he joins the police, fire service, coast guard or other uniformed civilian service he could wear it along with his other ribbons. He will not be able to do either if he were given a stripe on his service uniform. I cannot really see a former soldier turned civilian, turning up in a tux with miniatures on his chest and stripes on his arm.

Cheers,

James

However, as regards the wound stripe versus medal, the question remains as to how a soldier recognised by the award of a stripe on his uniform will be able to take that into civilian life? How are civilians going to be able to recognise that award? At least a medal will be easily understood and he could wear it at events when medals are worn. If he joins the police, fire service, coast guard or other uniformed civilian service he could wear it along with his other ribbons. He will not be able to do either if he were given a stripe on his service uniform. I cannot really see a former soldier turned civilian, turning up in a tux with miniatures on his chest and stripes on his arm.

Cheers,

James

James,

That?s a good point/question. I?m not sure why that would be a concern for a soldier to display the fact that he had been wounded, once leaving the military. Having a gong on your chest for your actions, or, conflict area(s) that you served in is one thing, but to have one for a wound is something different, I think?on civilian dress. There are wounds and there are ?wounds?. I?ll not argue the difference here, but I think that for the military itself, a simple wound stripe would be enough. It would be recognised by those who count most to a soldier, other soldiers. For the most part, soldiers do not care what the average civvy thinks. Now to you point about if a soldier wants to transfer the wear of his awards to a civilian dress. I would think that a simple device be worn on the ribbon on a set award that denotes a wound. There could even be a series of devices that would show the number of wounds such as a UN medal having a number device for multiple deployments to that area.

Cheers,

James

James,

I would think that a simple device be worn on the ribbon on a set award that denotes a wound. There could even be a series of devices that would show the number of wounds such as a UN medal having a number device for multiple deployments to that area.

Cheers,

James

Ah, now that IS a very good idea.

I am against UN medals myself. I would much prefer a simple national medal for peacekeeping or UN operations with bars for particular deployments. There are too many individual UN medals. We know have a NATO medal, no doubt others from ye more organizations will follow and add to the excessive number of medals.

But on the point of civilians and soldiers. They do seem to care very much about what civvies think, at least nowadays. There are consant stories in the press here in the UK, complaints about being treated badly by the public, their services not recognised properly by the communities they live in, etc.

Cheers,

James

But on the point of civilians and soldiers. They do seem to care very much about what civvies think, at least nowadays. There are consant stories in the press here in the UK, complaints about being treated badly by the public, their services not recognised properly by the communities they live in, etc.

Cheers,

James

Yes, they do care about the way they are treated. Nobody wants or cares about a soldier?until they need one! The days of soldiers being held in high esteem pretty much ended at the end of the Second World War. That is not to say that gratitude has not been shown since, but not like during the last two major wars. The general public only seem to hear about the deaths and when a soldier(s) have done something wrong. It gets more air time! Generally, what you think about a soldier is sometimes irrelevant to them. Their treatment when they return from a deployment is a concern to them, but the average thoughts of a civvy mean very little. I was more concerned with my peers thoughts!

Back to the award in discussion.

Cheers,

James

Ah, now that IS a very good idea.

I am against UN medals myself. I would much prefer a simple national medal for peacekeeping or UN operations with bars for particular deployments. There are too many individual UN medals. We know have a NATO medal, no doubt others from ye more organizations will follow and add to the excessive number of medals.

But on the point of civilians and soldiers. They do seem to care very much about what civvies think, at least nowadays.

There are consant stories in the press here in the UK, complaints about being treated badly by the public, their services not recognised properly by the communities they live in, etc.

Cheers,

James

Hallo James, :beer:

not to take it too far of topic but, the above comment which I highlighted in bold,

I presume is in connection with the the British Armed Forces?

When soldiers serve with the United Nations, they are representing their country, which has seconded them for

Peace-Keeping / Peace Enforcing duties with the United Nations.

In reality the United Nations Medals are virtually the same and only the ribbon changes.

There are still some countries that do not carry a large range of medals except Service Medals for their soldiers

(Rep. of Ireland for one) so the addition of a U.N. service medal for services rendered is very welcome.

Also the fact that not all countries are in N.A.T.O. (I believe their has been a small contribution to the now defunct K.F.O.R.

from Ireland and with I.S.A.F. (approx 7 members of the Irish Defence Forces).

I do not know the current status with regards, Irish regulations, as if they are allowed to wear the medals for the service

on their dress uniforms.

Kevin in Deva :beer: