News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Tamgha-i-Ishtiqlal 2001/02 Medal

Brian Wolfe

Hello Everyone,

During 2001/02 there was a build up of arms along the India Pakistan border that looked very much like both sides were perparing for yet another conflict. India issued a medal called the Op Parakram which was awarded for the same "escalation" by their troops. Please check the internet for a history of this near-conflict if you are interested. I have made several friends in both India and Pakistan and rather than making a political blunder and insulting any of them I will refrain from giving any more history on the issue. I am not known for my tact. :rolleyes:

The Tamgha-i-Ishtiqlal 2001/02 looks a lot like the Pakistan Independence medal at first glance with the country's flag on the obverse. The reverse is the same as the 1385 Tamgha-i-Jang/1965 War Medal and the Tamgha-i-Jang/1971 War Medal obverses other than the wording "ESCALATION 2001-02" printed below the symbols of the different armed forces.

The ribbon is also much like the 1971 War Medal but I won't go into that detail other than showing the differences in my last photo.

Regards

Brian

Here are the ribbons of the 1971 War medal on the bottom and the Escalation Medal on top. I have separated the ribbons with some white paper to help highlight the differences as much as I can.

The 1971 War Medal has three stripes of light blue, dark blue and red on a dark green field.

The Escalation Medal also has three stipes which are light blue, red and black separated by dark green stripes on a dark green field.

The two ribbons are very close in appearance.

Thanks for looking at my post.

Regards

Brian

Here are the ribbons of the 1971 War medal on the bottom and the Escalation Medal on top. I have separated the ribbons with some white paper to help highlight the differences as much as I can.

The 1971 War Medal has three stripes of light blue, dark blue and red on a dark green field.

The Escalation Medal also has three stipes which are light blue, red and black separated by dark green stripes on a dark green field.

The two ribbons are very close in appearance.

Thanks for looking at my post.

Regards

Brian

With 30 years separation, I don't suppose there'll be many who'll be eligible for both, but it's still a shame they didn't make more of a differentiation. Also, the black stripe really gets lost on that "Pakistan" green ribbon. Thanks for posting - now, how to get one?

Hugh

With 30 years separation, I don't suppose there'll be many who'll be eligible for both, but it's still a shame they didn't make more of a differentiation. Also, the black stripe really gets lost on that "Pakistan" green ribbon. Thanks for posting - now, how to get one?

Hugh

You're right about the black stripe. In fact I originally though one of the dark green stripes was dark blue but under better light I found it to be green. I've always thought that the 1971 War Medal ribbon strips represented the Army, Navy and Air Force but on the Escalation Medal instead of dark blue there is a black stripe. More than a little confusing.

Regards

Brian