News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

'It seemed to be a body from WWII'

Carol I

laun.jpg

'It seemed to be a body from WWII'

A team of Australian investigators is preparing an expedition to the arduous Kokoda Trail in Papua New Guinea, after a hiker spotted what is believed to be the body of a World War II airman hanging from a tree. The BBC's Becky Branford found out more: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7595869.stm

DEFENCE MEDIA RELEASE.

MSPA 287/08 Thursday, 4 September 2008

DISCOUNTED - KOKODA TRACK REPORT

Australian Defence Force staff from the Australian High Commission in Port Moresby today reached an isolated site on the Kokoda Track to check reports that the body of an airman was located in the jungle canopy.

No remains were located.

While the location, near Kagi, is below a flight path that was commonly used by allied aircraft during WWII sorties, the find has been confirmed by ADF staff as a moss covered branch.

It appears the branch has broken off the main tree and fallen across some vines, which from the ground, could have been confused with the body of an airman.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Thanks, Kevin. I thought it is nearly impossible for some remains to last that long, but spotted the piece of news on the BBC site. It seems however that the team of investigators was already on site by the time the news were published.