News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

queen alexandra 1914 banquet medal

Guest pikemedals

Guest pikemedals

hi, just got myself a queen alexandra banquet medal, i know its for the children of the army & navy chaps who were away in dec 1914 ,so can anyone tell me the number issued ?, it sad to think how many children who got this medal who did not see their daddy again! & would there be a medal roll for this medal, as the medal is unnamed, please help me if you can

• 18 years later...

There were approximately 1300 of these medals given out, by the Lord Mayor, at the banquet at the Guild Hall on the 28th of December 1914 to children selected by the Soldiers and Sailors Families Association. A number of pensioners from the Royal Military Hospital at Chelsea also received medals.  The medals were not named and I am not aware of any role for these medals.

Regards,

Gordon

Guildhall-Banquet-for-Soldiers-and-Sailors-Children-bronze-medal-4278A.jpg

Guildhall-Banquet-for-Soldiers-and-Sailors-Children-bronze-medal-4278B.jpg

A beautifully minted medal that must have meant much to those children whose fathers were away. This well designed medal is not often seen available. I don’t know whether there was a case; although I suspect there was.  I have not been able to find any articles on the banquet itself, which I would think would have been covered by the press. 

Edited by azyeoman