News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

51st Sikh Frontier Force

Kang

Hi,

My Great Grandfather, Thakur Singh was in the 51st Sikh Frontier Force.

I'm interested to find out more information about this regiment and I also currently collecting some medals for 51st Sikh Frontier Force.

1) Have you got a whole list of all the Soldiers name with rank and service number in the 51st Sikhs Frontier Force during the WW1?

2) I got all the list of casualities for Basra Memorial. Have you got a list of casualites of the 51st Sikhs Frontier Force outside Basra memorial?

3) Do you know any books title about the 51st Sikh Frontier Force in WW1? I want to find out more information.

Many thanks

JSKang

Hi,

My Great Grandfather, Thakur Singh was in the 51st Sikh Frontier Force.

I'm interested to find out more information about this regiment and I also currently collecting some medals for 51st Sikh Frontier Force.

1) Have you got a whole list of all the Soldiers name with rank and service number in the 51st Sikhs Frontier Force during the WW1?

2) I got all the list of casualities for Basra Memorial. Have you got a list of casualites of the 51st Sikhs Frontier Force outside Basra memorial?

3) Do you know any books title about the 51st Sikh Frontier Force in WW1? I want to find out more information.

Many thanks

JSKang

The only such lists would be kept -- of they are still retained -- by the regiment. As the 51st (later the 1/12th Frontier Force Regiment) went to Pakistan in 1947, no one has any ide what might have become of the earlier records. Destruction is a strong possibility. For those battalions and rgeiments that went to India, it is known that many of them still preserve records back to the late 19th centiry, and aggressive efforts are now underway to get these out of the hands of bureaucrats-in-uniform and under professional archival management. This is all complicated by at least one reading of Indian law that makes the divulging of any material from these personnal records a crime.

The best (and they aren't very good) and most relevant regimental histories would be May's History of the 2nd Sikhs, 12th Frontier Force Regiment, 1846-1933 (1933) and Condon's The Frontier Force Regiment (1962). If (a big IF) you can find them, expect to pay BIG money. (I have found three copies of Condon for sale, each around $300 US.)

Had the WWI medal record cards and medal been preserved, that might be a place to start, but they were all thrown out by the bureaucrats-in-uniform in the late 1970s because they were taking up too much space in the Ministry of Defence Medal Office.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Geoff's Search Engine will give you a list: http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/search14-21.php

Choose 51st Sikhs from the unit dropdown menu. I think there are about 367 names. These link to the CWGC records.

Thanks Michael,

This is a very useful search engine. I wonder if you can help me. My family originally come from Kang, Nakodar, Jullundar.In the additional information field, I am looking for a list of all the casualities come from Kang, Nakodar, Jullundar, Punjab during the WW1. and the same for WW2? I don't know how to do it. I have tried it many time but getting no records. I found only one other record Munsha Singh coming from the same village. I expect a fews more records. Is it possible to send me a list?

Many thanks