News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

These three Naval flying badges are from my scary Hallowe'en swag bag. Whaddya think? And to add a wrinkle, one of them I bought from the Stogieman... :rolleyes:

Is this Prinzen badge an actual Godet?

In its defense, I like the maker's mark "Gebr. Godet & Co." which was not the WW1 Godet hallmark but the one used from the early 1930s on. There is a vent hole under the pin bar which is obscured.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Whaddya think?

This next one didn't cost much, but showed a lot of creativity. Is it to a non-com pilot? Field adapted from a ratings patch like the one shown? The solder is crude, I can't tell if it's from 1917 or 1997. But it's a nice Meybauer badge. The silver badge is tarnishing through the gilt wash.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Whaddya think?

The only cased Schaper badge I've ever seen--I think. Rick mentioned something about all the fake Navy badges hitting eBay. One clue is that "SCHAPER" is cast into the pin. You can really see the difference here. It is really whacked in--deep. The box, however, I got separately. There was a faint outline of a badge, and this Schaper fits it like a glove. It just looks a little too good !?!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Lastly, as a postscript to the thread on Robert Pandis' article about crown / no-crown, where he writes:

Further, the Imperial Crown must...appear to the right of the Crescent Moon. An exception in Paragraph 9 of the Order is made for jewelry and small wares; which were not required to be marked

Robert's hypothesis works if we assume mfrs of badges used the exception to get out of the extra work of whacking in a crown since a badge was a "small ware." Here is a small ware that is smaller than a badge (I weighed it), and it has a crown. So there are probably other small wares with crowns and some of them might be flying badges! The cup is an air gunner prize from a Fliegerbeobachterschule.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Yeah...... on the mark...... note that we keep seeing it on cups, forks, knives, plates, ehrenbechers...... but badges and medals?????? few and far between and not just Juncker guilty of not marking them. How many Imperial 800/935 EK's have we seen with NO crown, moon?? How many with?? Very much the exception, not the rule.

I just sold a 935 silver gilt Prussian Navy Observer. Fine silver, period badge. NO maker marks, no content marks??

Also, I am very much leaning into the fact that Meybauer's actual war-time pieces are the ONLY 935 silver ones..... but no crown, no moon either. But marked in incused relief for 935...... perplexing, isn't it?

The reverse.......... cute story with this one. The guy in Germany sells it on eBay. I missed the end of the auction. Buyer refuses it, claims it's fake. Guy drives to Hamburg and pays for a Detlev Niemann Inspection & Expertise. He then re-lists it on eBay with a "buy it now price"..... I just happened to be surfing there when it popped on. Auction was open for exactly 60 seconds. it was pretty easy to see it was the badge I missed before.... check out the repair.

Nah........ that's one of the sales pix from when you bought it! How freakin' anal am I that I can instantly locate those photos? Gawd, I need a vacation!

Okay, before you hit Cancun on that post-Wilma deal, tell me what you know about CEJs. You guys are tooooo polite! Mine is probably cast in. That's why I included it in this scary Hallowe'en post. How about these, any of these early, rare marks look right? (most are off Spanish Crosses)...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

So are these all real or what. The godet mark on the first one looks a little too new, there appears to be flash around the mark like it was never polished after being stamped. Not a good sign on a piece supposedly from the a house jeweler and probably the ultimate maker of quality items. The second one I kind of (50/50) like since the patina is worn only around the propeller and it looks like it has been together a long time and was done by a pro. The back and pin/catch combo looks almost like a Schaper but without the cutout on the crown and the loop. Definitely not a Meybauer pin. The last one is the only one I really like. Good period looking tarnish around the hinge and catch, the engraving looks period and was not done yesterday judging from the tarnish in the engraving. And appears to be a custom made silver gilt piece.

Am I right? And if so what did I win? Choice badge? Yea sure.

Dan Murphy

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Am I right? And if so what did I win? Choice badge? Yea sure.

You win a case from Stogie's workshop in Shenyang.

I don't have strong views on anything but the cased Schaper being good. Thanks, Stogie!! :jumping: woohoo, a Schaper case!!! :jumping:

But, hey, with all this chatter about Juncker crowns, how about the later CEJ mark? There must have been some legit postwar pieces with them. What should they look like?

Rgds

John

I actually like the CEJ mark and the badge...... but that's my gut-call. What I'd like to see is more examples of the incused CEJ mark off some other 1920/30 Juncker products.

"INCUSED" So that's what it's called...a raised CEJ within an incused box. I thought it was cast. But I couldn't see pitting marks like you'd normally see in a cast. I would like to see more examples of incused CEJs, too, but I can't find any, only references to Assman and BSW being incused.

Thanks for the insight, Stogie.

Ask Fran?ois or Jaques for a couple of Spanish Cross maker marks... they both have CEJ marked pieces!

Good idea, Stogie. I found Jacques in the email list and asked him to post here or email you some incused CEJs, because I will be travelling for a week...

Rgds

John

• 2 weeks later...