News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Swaziland Orders & Decorations

James Hoard

Emmanuel,

Thanks for the lead.

I will write to them and see if they will share more details about these and any other Swazi decorations they may produce.

Cheers,

James

Hello James ,they didn't allow me to take a picture,because they have a copyright on them!!!Yes I got this reply.That is also the reason why Rafal heydel Mankoo wasn't allowed to use these picture in the recently published book : Order of Knighthood in 2 Volume.By the way they allow me to make a sketch.If you have the occasion to go to London,you should go to their office.

I guess they could allow you to have an eye on their production book which is in their waiting room.They told me they were also crafted a special Order for Swaziland Queen Mother (they showed me a collar),which is suppose to bear name : Order of the Elephant or Order of the Great Elephant (but not 100 % sure).

What I recall very well,is that the quality of workmanshif for the E'Swatini Order is very very good.

Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for the mention of the special order for the Queen Mother.

I can understand about the pictures, but may be they have some useful information about the order that they may be willing to share. Date of creation, classes, names of classes, conditions of award, etc. Such information is sometimes even harder to come by than pictures or illustrations.

As for the Burke's book one must understand that was a commercial venture. Furthermore, it came at a very hefty price, but the editors expected everyone to contribute free of charge. The result on the end product was obvious: Kuwait is a "republic", Rwanda orders that never existed until the ex-King settled in America, the design of the Islamic Order of Brunei is a "cross" and all sorts of similar howlers with photographs published back to front, some photographs cribbed from the net, published out of focus, etc, etc.

Cheers,

James

Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for the mention of the special order for the Queen Mother.

I can understand about the pictures, but may be they have some useful information about the order that they may be willing to share. Date of creation, classes, names of classes, conditions of award, etc. Such information is sometimes even harder to come by than pictures or illustrations.

As for the Burke's book one must understand that was a commercial venture. Furthermore, it came at a very hefty price, but the editors expected everyone to contribute free of charge. The result on the end product was obvious: Kuwait is a "republic", Rwanda orders that never existed until the ex-King settled in America, the design of the Islamic Order of Brunei is a "cross" and all sorts of similar howlers with photographs published back to front, some photographs cribbed from the net, published out of focus, etc, etc.

Cheers,

James

Hello James I did contribute to that book,and I supplied some pictures (mostly low class award).Of course I got a free copy.Of course there is some mistake,like a Finland White Rose Grand Cross sash badge which is a copy (lions facing eachother!!),also Rwanda no pictures (he said me he had),also nothing for Indonesia (because the litteral translation of Bintang is Star,and the indonesian Order are not called Darjah = Order),so he didn't included them.Kuwait as a republic I just looked now and I even didn't paid attention.I did supply pictures of the 2nd type of Wissam al Kuwait.I do not own them,but I have the booklet of Garrard's with pictures of all classes of the new Order printed in 1992.As no-one never came to auction (as long as I know) I pass the pictures to him.Same for Ghana,I have the book published by Fattorini for the Ghana Chancellery,so picture of Order of the Star of Ghana comes from that book.I consider he did the job 95 % well.Of course so many self-stylised or society-like Order...why ? I wouldn't have included them in the book.If I had been reponsible for publication,I would have listed countries alphabetically with a specific mention when the country may have change regime drastically (when it is the case for most east european countries (before WWII,communist era,after communism).There is also some error in the Wherlich.

You know I recently purchased a book in Kuala Lumpur on asian monarchies.Of course the quality of pictures isn't suitable for publication,but the sultanat of Yogyakarta (in Indonesia) isn't the onliest to have instituted Order on the XIX century.A sultanate of the island of Sumatra did also,but no-one ever mention it (and design is unique).I also purchased a serie of stamps on e-bay for 10 US $ with pictures of the Orders from Mozambique (I knew their name from research on the net,but I spend hours to seek for pictures on the net without succes until I got these stamps).

I include here pictures of Ordem amidad & Paz from Mozambique(highest Order which came on a chain and was given to at leat one president of Portugal).It's the Order with the dove.

The second Order from Mozambique is Order of Eduardo Mondlane (one of their hero from the liberation war against Portugal),we do know nothing yet about its ribbon,but at least we now know what they look like.

But I'am still looking to get pictures from Angola & Sao Tome & Principe (as yet unsuccessfull) & Eritrea.There is still lots of fields to investigate in phaleristic (great fun).

Emmanuel

Hi Emmanuel

Well, I only mentiond some of the errors that I found and they happen to be in the areas that I happen to have some good knowledge. However, I have spoken to several people and everyone comes up with howlers from their own areas of expertise. So I guess the error rate is very much higher than 5%.

Thank you so much for posting the Mozambique decorations. I have never seen them before.

As regards Indonesia, several of the sultanates and principalities had orders during the Dutch colonial period but it is almost impossible to find any information about them. Apart from Surakarta, the other states that I know had orders are Yogyakarta (on Java), Deli and Siak (on Sumatra), Pontianak and Sambas (on Borneo). One knows this from seing pictures of the sultans and officials of the period ca 1860-1940. Chris Buyers has some of these pictures of the rulers posted on his website but not all of them have been transferred to the new host so may not be visible to the public yet.

I would guess that the one you may have seen is the neck badge worn by the Sultan of Siak. This dates from the second half of the nineteenth century.

Sultan of Siak ca 1885

However, even very experienced Dutch collectors do not know anything about them. Once in a while some of the Surakarta commmorative medals and lower class dcorations come up amongst groups belonging to Dutch colonial military officers, but that is still very rare. Part of the reason may be because most of the higher decorations tended to be jewelled, with a preference for diamonds, emeralds and rubies, so they may have been broken up for the gems when the heirs became strapped for cash. Also, during 1946 in Sumatra and Borneo there was a very bitter civil war in which aristocrats were attacked and murdered, palaces burned and records destroyed. I guess a few of the revolutionaries may not have been averse to "liberating" some of these valuable items.

You are right, they use the word "bintang" (meaning "star"). But then people use "nishan" for most Muslim countries, and that is a term which actually translates as "sign/insignia" or possibly "decoration". It is often used for a wide variety of things including badges of office, military rank insignia and even military flags. So I do not really see much logic in excluding stars but including insignia.

Cheers,

James

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have pictures of these Orders and Medals?

:beer: Doc

Hello it's very rare you met a medal of Swaziland on market.

For exemple here is Swaziland Police Long Service & Good Conduct.

Reverse for all Prison & Police Medals have effigy of King Mswati III (and their suspension does NOT swivel).The quality of of the strike is very good & in silver.

Emmanuel

Does anyone have pictures of these Orders and Medals?

:beer: Doc

Here is the reverse common to all King Mswati III medal.

The medal issued during the reign of King Sobhusa II were also of high quality,but finition was shiny silver instead of dull silver for King Mswati III

Emmanuel

Good morning Emmanuel

Thank you very much for posting this medal.

Indeed, you are very right. Very hard to find Swazi decorations for sale. Even finding detailed information and images is hard.

I wrote to Cleave & Co in London but they refused. I could understand about images, but they even refused to give out any information about the orders, date of founding, classes or award criteria all on the grounds of confidentiality. Hard to understand how the last three were confidential, but there you go.

Cheers,

James

Good morning Emmanuel

Indeed, you are very right. Very hard to find Swazi decorations for sale. Even finding detailed information and images is hard.

I wrote to Cleave & Co in London but they refused. I could understand about images, but they even refused to give out any information about the orders, date of founding, classes or award criteria all on the grounds of confidentiality. Hard to understand how the last three were confidential, but there you go.

Cheers,

James

Yes awards from Swaziland are among the hardest to get worldwide.For Swazi Order I don't got any,or ever heard that someone has a specimen in his collection.I consider myself lucky to have had the possibility to watch the pictures

I place here the obverse of the Swaziland King Mswati III Coronation 1986.

By the way I have also the miniature of Swaziland Police (LSGC/MSM/DSM) & miniature of Swaziland Prison (MSM & DSM) for barter.If you have interest ?

I'am always looking for african medals (full-size).Also from Malaysia,Singapore,Brunei,Bhutan,Caribbean States.

Emmanuel

Good morning Emmanuel

Cheers,

James

Also the reverse of King Mswati III Coronation in 1986.

If anyone has just even a picture of the King Sobhuza Diamond Jubilee ?

Emmanuel

Also the reverse of King Mswati III Coronation in 1986.

If anyone has just even a picture of the King Sobhuza Diamond Jubilee ?

Emmanuel

Again, Many, many thanks Emmanuel for posting this lovely medal.

Odd really that they should call it a coronation when there is no crown and no act of crowning. Installation may be a better description. But ah, in a world where the US president now has a "coronation" at which they sing songs to the tune of "God Save the Queen", I suppose anything goes.

Cheers

James

• 5 months later...

The Royal Order that Ilja has posted is interesting. It shows a typically shaped Swazi battle axe - the present Zulu King carries a silvered version in place of a sceptre. The pineapple surround represents their main crop - visitors from Swazi always bring these big pineapples as gifts. Delicious !

• 1 year later...

about Indonesian Sultanate high class order: many of the medal are actually just worn by the Sultan (as a sacred treasure or we call it 'Pusaka'), and often they were produced only one, as a sign/symbol of power..

Some of the Sultans also received Order/Medal from Dutch, The Ottoman, and the states in Germany..

The most known example is SISKS Paku Buwono X..

Note: many Surakarta ODM were destroyed when the Kasunanan Palace of Surakarta burned in 1980's..

about Indonesian Sultanate high class order: many of the medal are actually just worn by the Sultan (as a sacred treasure or we call it 'Pusaka'), and often they were produced only one, as a sign/symbol of power..

Some of the Sultans also received Order/Medal from Dutch, The Ottoman, and the states in Germany..

The most known example is SISKS Paku Buwono X..

Note: many Surakarta ODM were destroyed when the Kasunanan Palace of Surakarta burned in 1980's..

• 10 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Hello Gentlemen, recently I got this sash badge from a seller in Taiwan. It appears to be a sash badge from an Order of Swaziland.

But refering to the document I have in my possesion it is not the Royal Family Order,neither the Order of the Elephant (awarded by the Queen Mother), neither the Order of the Crown,neither the Order of E'Swatini (the military Order).

Nowdays just 4 african countries officialy keep official diplomatic relation with Taiwan : Sao Tome & Principe,Burkina Faso,Gambia & Swaziland, so to found a badge from a swazi Order in Taiwan is not as strange as it could seems.

Size : 61 millimeters

Weight : 87 grammes

Multi parts (4) construction, but not hallmarked.

If anyone has a beginning of answer he's most welcome.

Emmanuel

• 1 year later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 4 years later...

The Police Medal is a fne looking piece, which anyone would be proud to wear!  The others don't appeal to me, I'm afraid, but thank you for sharing them.   I assume they are new additions to your collection?  Did you find them on line or do you have a 'source' in southern Africa?

Ilja, this is stunning. I have been in Swaziland (now eSwatini) several years ago, but I have never seen there any militaria items (I mean the cap badges and smth like this) not to mention the medals))

• 8 months later...

10th Anniversary of Independence Medal

swa1.jpg

swa2.jpg

Kings Police Medal for Distinguished Service

swa3.jpg

swa4.jpg

Correctional Service Medal for Distinguished Service

swa5.jpg

swa6.jpg

Prisons Long Service Medal

swa7.jpg