News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I'm Dumb

Bear

Hello,

I never knew that Indian(or are were they considered British during this time) Officers flew fighters during WWII. When I think of India during WWII I think of foot soldiers. I came across a website that made me think for a moment. :speechless: In other words NEAT........ Although I mostly dwell in the 18th centuery. :D

website: http://indianairforce.nic.in/show_page.php?pg_id=14

MARSHAL OF THE INDIAN AIR FORCE ARJAN SINGH

Marshal of the Indian Air Force Arjan Singh, DFC, was one pilot who grew up in the annals of the air force as the first chief for leading the force into war. He was Chief of Air Staff when the IAF saw action in its first combat of the modern age in 1965. He was hardly 44 years years of age when entrusted with the responsibility of leading the Indian Air Force, a responsibility he carried with considerable flamboyance and ?lan.

Arjan Singh was born on 15 April 1919, in Lyalpur, completing his education at Montgomery. He was still in college in 1938, 19 years of age when he was selected for the Empire Pilot training course at RAF Cranwell. His first posting on being commissioned was flying Westland Wapiti biplanes in the North Western Frontier Province as a member of the No.1 IAF Squadron. Arjan Singh, flew against the tribal forces, before he was transferred for a brief stint with the newly formed No.2 IAF Squadron. Later he moved back to No.1 as a Flying Officer, when the Squadron re-equipped with the Hawker Hurricane.

Promoted to Squadron Leader in 1944, Arjan Singh led the squadron against the Japanese during the Arakan Campaign. flying close support during the crucial Imphal Campaign and later assisting the advance of the allied forces to Rangoon, Burma. For his role in successfully leading the squadron in combat, Arjan Singh received the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) in 1944. He was given command of the IAF Display flight flying Hawker Hurricanes after the war which toured India giving demonstrations. On 15 August 1947, he had the unique honour of leading the fly-past of over a hundred IAF aircraft over Delhi, over the red fort.

Promoted to Wing Commander, he attended Staff College at UK, and immediately after Indian independence became the AOC, Ambala in the rank of Group Captain. In 1949, promoted to Air Commodore, Arjan Singh took over the Air Officer Commanding of Operational Command, which later came to be known as Western Air Command. Arjan Singh had the distinction of having the longest tenure as the AOC of Operational Command, from 1949-1952 and again from 1957-1961. Promoted to Air Vice Marshal, he was the AOC-in-C of Operational Command. Towards the end of the 1962 war, he was appointed the DCAS and became the VCAS by 1963. He was the overall commander of the joint air training exercises "Shiksha" held between the IAF, RAF and RAAF.

On 01 August 1964, Arjan Singh took over as the Chief of Air Staff in the rank of Air Marshal, which became the pinnacle of this career. Arjan Singh was the first Air Chief who kept his flying category till his CAS rank. Having flown over 60 different types of aircraft from Pre-WW-2 era biplanes to the more contemporary, Gnats & Vampires, he also had flown in transports like the Super Constellation.

Arjan Singh's, testing time came in September 1965, when the subcontinent was plunged into war. When Pakistan launched its Operation Grand Slam, in which an armoured thrust targeted the vital town of Akhnur, he was summoned into the Defence Minister's office with a request for air support.

With a characteristic non-chalance, he replied "...in an hour." And true enough, the air force struck the Pakistani offensive in an hour. He led the air Force through the war showing successful leadership and effort.

Though at a certain level, mistakes were made and planning could have been better, in all fairness, it must be said that the credit for thwarting Ayub Khan's grandiose plans to capture Kashmir is shared by the Indian Army and the Indian Air Force, and Arjan Singh for leading the air force through the war.

Arjan Singh was awarded the Padma Vibhushan for his leadership of the air force, and subsequently in recognition of the air force's contribution in the war, the rank of the CAS was upgraded to that of Air Chief Marshal and Arjan Singh became the first Air Chief Marshal of the Indian Air Force. He retired in August 1969, thereupon accepting ambassador ship to Switzerland. He remained a flyer to the end of his tenure in the IAF, visiting forward squadrons & units and flying with them. Arjan Singh was a source of inspiration to a generation of Indians and Officers.

In recognition of his services, the Government of India conferred the rank of the Marshal of the Air Force onto Arjan Singh in January 2002 making him the first and the only 'Five Star' rank officer with the Indian Air Force.

thanks,

barry

Hello,

I never knew that Indian(or are were they considered British during this time) Officers flew fighters during WWII. When I think of India during WWII I think of foot soldiers. I came across a website that made me think for a moment. :speechless: In other words NEAT........ Although I mostly dwell in the 18th centuery. :D

website: http://indianairforce.nic.in/show_page.php?pg_id=14

Indians joined the Royal Flying Corps during the Great War and there are several examles of several winning gallantry awards. They were mostly young men who were already in the UK (or Europe) studying either at school or university.

A separate Indian Air Force was established in 1932 with six RAF officers, 19 'air soldiers' and 4 Westland biplanes. Though very small, it expanded rapidly after the establishment of Indian Volunteer Air Force during the second World War and served with distinction in the UK, coastal defence, Burma, the Defence of India, reconquest of Burma, Japanese bases in Thailand and South-East Asia. They also sent a unit to join the British Commonwealth Occupation Force in Japan. At war's end, their strength had reached 9 squadrons and 29,000 personnel who won something like 25 DFCs. They were honoured with the title 'Royal Indian Air Force' for their services by the King-Emperor George VI in March 1945.

See http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/History/1940s/index.html

Cheers,

James

While I might quibble with aspects of James' highly Anglo-centric survey, he touches the main points and Jagan's IAF site at Bharat Rakshak is first-rate.

You may also want to check out: Rana T. S. Chhina, The Eagle Strikes: The Royal Indian Air Force, 1932-1950 ([New Delhi]Centre for Armes Forces Historical Research, United Service Institution of India, [2006]; ISBN 81-903591-0-X). Don't be distracted with his marvelous photos, the text is quite professional and valuable too. I think it is available through the Bharat Rakshah bookstore.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ed & James

I've been looking through old newspapers and have only managed to find one article on the IAF, but it's an early one. Not a long article but I'll keep looking.

Winthrop News 17 Jan 1935

thanks again,

barry

• 4 months later...

"Hawai Sepoy" which one Indian-published book I have spells "Hawaii Sepoy" which conjures up visions of some interesting uniforms. :lol:

I have a very nice RIAF pair to a Squadron Leader Joseph Kenneth Frank Pereira, Joined 12/9/43. Commanded balloon squadron in S. E. Asia (medal & clasp) and India Independence (both named Squadron Leader).One of the jewels of my collection.

Paul

Years ago now I ate several times in an Indian restaurant - "The Emoress of India" - run by a gent who had been the first Indian to serve in his squadron of the RAF in India. His squadron mates called him "Gunga Din", he said. I assumed that the squadron was "Indianized" as were some of the Indian cavalry and infantry units: Indian junior officers joined the unit and rose in rank as Brits retired, died or transferred out, so that no British officer was ever of lower rank than an Indian! How nineteenth century, though the scheme occurred in the 1930s and '40s.

This chaps Spitfire was shot down on the first day of the first Indo-Pak War by antiaircraft guns shooting DOWN at him. He was "Tail-End Charlie" as his flight made a pass against a bridge.

He bailed out but bu**ered up his back and wound up flying for the VIP flight, Indian Air Force, flying people like Nehru around. He eventually moved to the UK, flew for Freddie Laker and later came to Canada with mom and English wife and set up a curry restaraunt in southern Ontario. Interesting chap.

My favorite IAF (ex-RIAF) group:

3162 Group Captain Harbans Singh Monga, Indian Air Force

Mounting a bit ragged, but a long and impressive (and heavy) group.

Date of Birth - 15-June-1923

Date of Commission - 25-June-1945

Date of Subst Rank of Flt Lt - 25-June-1950

Transport pilot. No.1 Transport Training Wing was based at Begumpet Airport, Hyderabad. The 1TTW merged with the 2TTW at Yelhanka, Bangalore to form the TTW there. Thereafter Begumpet reverted to 'AFS Begumpet' name. No.1 TTW at that time operated C-47 Dakotas and Devons for Training. G/C Monga would most probably have flown C47s with No.12 Squadron in J and K Ops.

1- The General Service Medal, 1947 - JAMMU AND KASHMIR 1947-48 - 3162 FG. OFF. H. S. MONGA, I. A. F.

2- Samar Seva Star, 1965 - 3162 GP. CAPT. H. S. MONGA, I. A. F.

3- Poorvi Star, 1971 - missing, ribbon only

4- Paschimi Star, 1971 - missing, ribbon only

5- Raksha Medal, 1965 - 3162 GP. CAPT. H. S. MONGA, I. A. F.

6- Sangram Medal, 1971 - missing, ribbon only

7- Sainya Seva Medal - Himalaya - 3162 GP. CAPT. H. S. MONGA, I. A. F.

8- Videsh Seva Medal - Nepal - 3162 WG. CDR. H. S. MANGA, I. A. F.

9- The Indian Independence Medal, 1947 - 3162 FG. OFFR. H. S. MONGA, R.I.A.F.

10- 25th Independence Anniversary - missing, ribbon only

11- Twenty Years Long Service Medal - 3162 GP. CAPT. H. S. MONGA, I. A. F.

12- Nine Years Long Service Medal - 3162 GP. CAPT. H. S. MONGA, I. A. F.

13- The War Medal, 1939-45 - IND/3162 FLT/LT. H. S. MONGA, R. I. A. F.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

And, for "equal time":

770 Flight Cadet Shakir Hussain, Air Headquarters, Royal Pakistan Air Force

Unfortunately only the Pakistan Medal is named. His career is, at present, untraced.

Unlike so many Pakistani "groups" that are around, I think this is halal.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 4 weeks later...

His squadron mates called him "Gunga Din", he said.

Or was it Sam Jaffe (who of course played "Gunga Din"). The owner was Zaffar (or Jaffar) Shah. He was the son of a Frontier tribal leader, educated through the efforts of the local Political Officer. A fascinating man - and the food was good there as well. A diplomat - his explanation of what would have happened to him if he'd landed the other side of the river was heavily edited as Peter's wife was with us.

And, for "equal time":

770 Flight Cadet Shakir Hussain, Air Headquarters, Royal Pakistan Air Force

Unfortunately only the Pakistan Medal is named. His career is, at present, untraced.

Unlike so many Pakistani "groups" that are around, I think this is halal.

I had a very similar group (less the Star and with the Republic Medal instead of the GSM) to F/O Jebb, also Air Headquarters, Royal Pakistan Air Force.

Edited by Michael Johnson