News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian ribbons

ccj

Guest Rick Research

:love: :cheers:

I only have one of the 20mm half size reductions. I've also got a 15mm "German size" that I do not believe post-dates 1938-- they were experimenting with sizes that weere better for wear than the full 40mm widths, which had to overlap as you've shown above.

Never seen ANY Austro-Hungarian/Austrian 1st Republic regulations concerning ribbon bar sizes.

:love::cheers:

I only have one of the 20mm half size reductions. I've also got a 15mm "German size" that I do not believe post-dates 1938-- they were experimenting with sizes that weere better for wear than the full 40mm widths, which had to overlap as you've shown above.

Never seen ANY Austro-Hungarian/Austrian 1st Republic regulations concerning ribbon bar sizes.

I actually like the smaller bars more. I think they are made from covering a small piece of Sheetmetal.

Very nice ones, though not any ribbon bar collector likes those Austrian monsters - but don't worry, I do and am still looking for one that has a Baden decoration on it...

:rolleyes:

Pity that great bar from #4 has been seperated from it's brother, from the other stuff it came with on eBay - and from the name. You don't have any of this, do you? I don't have it handy but in some days, weeks or months I hope I can add the name - if you want me to do. :P

Very nice ones, though not any ribbon bar collector likes those Austrian monsters - but don't worry, I do and am still looking for one that has a Baden decoration on it...

Pity that great bar from #4 has been seperated from it's brother, from the other stuff it came with on eBay - and from the name. You don't have any of this, do you? I don't have it handy but in some days, weeks or months I hope I can add the name - if you want me to do. :P

I tried to get both I couldn't as they ended at the same time and someone sniped me at the last moment. I got the one I was concentrating on. If there were other items I missed it. I'd love to have a name to go with the bar. Its a lovely bar with only slight wear and damage.

Edited by ccj

Okay, so I can at least be sure it's the same I thought it was. It might take some time but I can promise you you'll get the name it came with. No 100% guarantee it is the correct name, but it seemed to be... ;)

In the meantime, I can add my one and only Austrian bar. I bought it as it has a German ribbon on it: a nice Bavarian pre-war MVO 4th class!

Edited by saschaw

Okay, so I can at least be sure it's the same I thought it was. It might take some time but I can promise you you'll get the name it came with. No 100% guarantee it is the correct name, but it seemed to be... ;)

In the meantime, I can add my one and only Austrian bar. I bought it as it has a German ribbon on it: a nice Bavarian pre-war MVO 4th class!

NICE!

And now the really interresting pictures: sewn ribbons from his tunic, badges from his visor(?) and a nice little piece of sheet... with his name and rank on it!

Schiffsleutnant Karl Topil. Could someone verify him? Would be very nice, thanks.

And now the really interresting pictures: sewn ribbons from his tunic, badges from his visor(?) and a nice little piece of sheet... with his name and rank on it!

Schiffsleutnant Karl Topil. Could someone verify him? Would be very nice, thanks.

What's the ribbon combo? I see EKII but the order doesn't match anything on his bar does it?

What's the ribbon combo? I see EKII but the order doesn't match anything on his bar does it?

Oh, I was just looking at the name strip. What is this rank? I guess he may have been a navy man... I know nothing about Austrian Navy or marine(if any) history.

It does. The 2nd ribbon is the 3rd to last on your ribbon bar: Ottoman "war medal" aka Galipoli Star. I wonder if it was usual to wear two foreign(!) awards in the button hole but none of his own country?!

Oh, I was just looking at the name strip. What is this rank? I guess he may have been a navy man... I know nothing about Austrian Navy or marine(if any) history.

Yes, that's a navy rank, but I'm neither much into Autrian navy history. Looks like a "Leutnant" on a ship, but who knows...

Guest Rick Research

Austrian awards could NOT be worn from the button hole (except for the Maria Theresa Order) but the Prussian and Turkish ribbons could.

Linienschiffsleutnant (= Kapit?nleutnant) 1 May 1913 KARL Topil was born in 1886. Joined the navy 5.9.04.

As of 15 December 1915 (the "1916" seniority List) his awards were

?M3K, Signum Laudis Bronze on War Ribbon, 1908 Jubilee Cross, 1912/13 Mobilization Cross, and EK2.

He must have been either a flyer or a submariner to have earned those awards. Iron Crowns weren't just for "being there."

His older brother (?) HERMANN, born 1885, had joined the navy 12.09.02 and was the same rank (01.11.12) but only had the 1908 and 1912/13 Crosses at the end of 1915.

• 4 weeks later...

Austrian awards could NOT be worn from the button hole (except for the Maria Theresa Order) but the Prussian and Turkish ribbons could.

Linienschiffsleutnant (= Kapit?nleutnant) 1 May 1913 KARL Topil was born in 1886. Joined the navy 5.9.04.

As of 15 December 1915 (the "1916" seniority List) his awards were

?M3K, Signum Laudis Bronze on War Ribbon, 1908 Jubilee Cross, 1912/13 Mobilization Cross, and EK2.

He must have been either a flyer or a submariner to have earned those awards. Iron Crowns weren't just for "being there."

His older brother (?) HERMANN, born 1885, had joined the navy 12.09.02 and was the same rank (01.11.12) but only had the 1908 and 1912/13 Crosses at the end of 1915.

• 1 month later...