News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Couple of Iraqi Swords

Sivart

I thought I would post this picture of these swords we have had here at my COP for some time. One is in pretty rough shape, with wire used to reenforce the handle and the blade fairly rusty. The other looks newer, but the wooden scabbard is slightly cracked. Anyhow, here they are.

Sivart :cheers:

I thought I would post this picture of these swords we have had here at my COP for some time. One is in pretty rough shape, with wire used to reenforce the handle and the blade fairly rusty. The other looks newer, but the wooden scabbard is slightly cracked. Anyhow, here they are.

Sivart :cheers:

These are very old thank you for sharing them, they use these to cut them selves in the name a fallen profit. On top of the head or on the tounge with this type of sword. I have seen the shi'e Iraqis doing this in 2005.

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

The top one looks to be of the type called a "tulwar" ("talwar", "talwaar") in India and was the standard arm of Indian cavalry from the Middle Ages on. The Persian name is "shamshir" and the Persian form has a narrower blade than a tulwar - which this one appears to have. Lovely pieces and many of the older examples have lovely handles and/or inscribed blades.

The top one looks to be of the type called a "tulwar" ("talwar", "talwaar") in India and was the standard arm of Indian cavalry from the Middle Ages on. The Persian name is "shamshir" and the Persian form has a narrower blade than a tulwar - which this one appears to have. Lovely pieces and many of the older examples have lovely handles and/or inscribed blades.

I like the top one, all over Iraq they sell swords that are old looking:

Lorenzo

The only marks on the sheath are these diagional grooves which also appear in the remaining leather surround the wooden scabbard. I was also able to remove one of the metal hangars. If you care to see closeups of it let me know.

Perhaps this thread would be better suited in the edged weapons area. If so, moderator, please move it as you see fit

You are right it makes it easier to find things on this awesome site...

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF