News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lifesaving Medals

Hello all

Just a quick recall for this post. I hope it will be seen by forum members who are familiar with these lifesaving medals. Information will be gratefully received.

Best regards

Veteran

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

The Prussian non wearable life-saving medal (Fred. Will. III) "FÜR RETUNG AUS GEFAHR" is mentionned by Nimmergut  in two types : with KÖNIG and with KONIG in the legends.

The same seems to have occured with the later waeareable types. Nimmergut gives quite different valuations according to the type.

Is the reason for this known ? 

Incidentally, does an group of collectors of German life-saving medals exist.?

Thank you for your attention and kind answers. They will be gratefully received.

Veteran

Hello all,

The Prussian non wearable life-saving medal (Fred. Will. III) "FÜR RETUNG AUS GEFAHR" is mentionned by Nimmergut  in two types : with KÖNIG and with KONIG in the legends.

The same seems to have occured with the later waeareable types. Nimmergut gives quite different valuations according to the type.

Is the reason for this known ? 

Incidentally, does an group of collectors of German life-saving medals exist.?

Thank you for your attention and kind answers. They will be gratefully received.

Veteran

Hello Veteran,

there is a good thread on Sammlergemeinschaft Deutscher Auszeichnungen

about the preussische Lebensrettungsmedaille.

http://h2385226.stratoserver.net/wbb3/board3-epochenforum/board5-deutsche-orden-ehrenzeichen-auszeichnungen-bis-1918/56519-rettungsmedaille-preußen-3-oder-4-prägung/

Regards

Andreas

• 1 month later...

Andreas

I apologise for this delay answering your kind message. It was missed on my e-mail and I have not visited this part of the forum until to-day;

The very promissing website of German collectors was unfortunately too difficult for me to join. I wll try again.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by Veteran

Hello all,

I would like to come back to the large 50mm diameter non wearable55e8c6233a11a_PRUSSE_Sauvetage_Argent_Fl silver Prussian Life-saving medal mentioned earlier.

To-day's Künker's  265 auction sale catalogue mentions a series of different types of the early issues.

Apparently a first striking was made between 1833 and 1870 with a five-petaled flower on the obverse between the word PREUSSEN and the word FRIEDRIICH. About 1.500 such medals would have been awarded.

A second type, which differs from the first by a smaller five-petaled flower at the same place was struck between 1871 and 1881 of which only 420 medals were issued, making this type much scarcer.

According to these informations, I would like to submit the obverse pictures of two such medals :

The picture on the left would be the "large" flower with the engraver's signature extending beyond the King's bust (it is the top flower as enlarged).

Would then the picture on the right be the "lesser" flower with a shorter signature of the engraver ? The lower one on the enlarged picture..

Comments will be gratefully received.

Regards

Veteran

Hi Paul

This information comes from the  n°265 auction sale catalogue to be held in Osnabrück by the firm KUNKER next September 26. A large number of German States life-saving medals are on sale, and genereous information is given about Prussian awards pages 49-52. The catalogue can be seen on the 'net.

These particular early large silver non wearable medals are described as having four successive strikings between 1833 and 1918; the small flower on the obverse had a five petaled flower on the first two (those discussed in my message) and two more bearing a seven petaled flower with various other différences.

Thank you for your question. I hope further reactions will turn up.

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

@ Veteran,  don't worry be happy :beer: and the german thread is hard to read

Prussian live-saving medal 1.model from 1833 - 1864 with inscription Koenig, ca. 1900 times awarded

The medal has to be returned after the death from the recipient until 1919, from 1906 the bereaved

were allowed to buy the medal as memento.

Hartwig_c.thumb.JPG.efc7598a366759fb9655

Hartwig_d.thumb.JPG.81bf7b0889b2c6f6bdd5

and his complete medal bar

Hartwig_a.thumb.JPG.be667f5d68a4584a938a

Kind regards

Andreas

Hi Andreas

Thank you for your kind message. I must admit I gave up trying to get in, which was frustrating.y  Life-saving awards have been one of my favorite series of medals : the type of simple courage often displayed to save others from Deadly dangers makes me wonder.

I had no idea these life-saving medals were supposed to be returned at the death of recipient. Does that explain why German pieces are scarce ?  I would love to join a group of collectors, if such a thing exists in Germany. French collectors debate a lot about them on Forum Insignes et Medailles.

The group you show is very interesting. Do you know anything about the recipient.

All the best

Veteran

Hi Veteran,

I´m a maniak in medal bars and I don´t collect single medals, but I like 

these medals too. Here a some good books 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyreis-Rettungsmedaillen-Deutscher-Staaten-1782-1918-NEU-/330931845804

http://www.zvab.com/displayBookDetails.do?itemId=253640214&b=1 about prussian live saving medals only

both in German - language

Kind regards
    Andreas

• 1 year later...

It´s time to contribute something, which I got recently....

Life-saving medal Lippe-Detmold, later version from 1918 which was made by C.F.Zimmermann in Pforzheim (marked with SILBER at its ring)...but with the original case (Zimmermann delievered around 10 medals to prince....number of awards of this medal ....unknown!).

The ribbon is the original one (darker than the earlier model).

Lippe-RM-2_Mod-Set_m_Etui-VS.jpg

Lippe-RM-2_Mod-Set_m_Etui-RS.jpg

Edited by Solomon

Solomon;

I looked at the medal under magnification.  It's a wonderful strike!  The "silber" mark on the ring is really nice.  And unusual.

As a category of medals, I really like these Lifesaving medals.

The mark "SILBER" you usually find on Zimmermann-pieces from 1918 or later...the case is also a typical one used by Zimmermann.

So far, I haven´t seen a 2nd piece like that...I only know the very early Büsch-ones (I showed in this topic earlier) and the 2nd Büsch-model with a changed stamp.

• 3 months later...
    • 1 year later...
    • 1 year later...

Lifesaving medals are something really special and among, if not the most distinctive awards - each medal a life saved from greatest danger... you cannot say the same about many other awards! So, despite we have already seen a Bavarian here some thirteen years ago, I'm bumping this thread up with another one, single mounted, that will be in my shop's update tomorrow.

Looking their history up, I noticed two things that are most unusual and worth mentioning: Despite their monarchistic design, these were handed out until the early 30s, when they were superseded by a very short lived and thus ultra rare Freistaat type.

The other remarkable thing about them: They could be awarded several times to the same person. Not in silver and gold - just silver, exact same ones, as many as you deserved, worn side by side! In fact, two persons won the medal twice, but no one had more than two.

:whistle:

04900 c2.jpeg

04900 d2.jpeg

Edited by saschaw

• 1 year later...

This one, being foreign, is actually off topic here, but the Ottoman "Tahlisiye Madalyasi", instituted in 1859, was awarded to so many Germans, especially marines, it might deserve its place here anyway.

Like the Bavarian medal I posted before, it could be awarded several times, but unlike it, these Ottoman medals would have different ribbons: red for the first, green for the second and white for the third award. For four (or more?) lifesavings, it would have a striped ribbon of the mentioned colours.

Or at least: that's what I found on the internet... it's surprising I ususally see them green ribboned, not red!

:wacky:

R01481 - 02530 c2.jpeg

R01481 - 02530 d2.jpeg

10 hours ago, saschaw said:

This one, being foreign, is actually off topic here, but the Ottoman "Tahlisiye Madalyasi", instituted in 1859, was awarded to so many Germans, especially marines, it might deserve its place here anyway.

Like the Bavarian medal I posted before, it could be awarded several times, but unlike it, these Ottoman medals would have different ribbons: red for the first, green for the second and white for the third award. For four (or more?) lifesavings, it would have a striped ribbon of the mentioned colours.

Or at least: that's what I found on the internet... it's surprising I ususally see them green ribboned, not red!

:wacky:

R01481 - 02530 c2.jpeg

R01481 - 02530 d2.jpeg

HI Sascha,

great post! I love life saving medals and I am allways tempted to start a collection on them, every medal tells a great story! 

Talking about the ribbons of the Ottoman "Tahlisiye Madalyasi" I guess that you mixed things up, the first deed was awarded with this medal on the green ribbon, the second got red, the third is white and the fourth is the striped one. See the photo that our member @demir posted here. I guess that the color green refers directly to the prohet Mohammed he and his heirs were the only ones who are allowed to wear green turbans. 

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

Nice one! By the way, I have had this lapel bow for many years, with a green ribbon in last place. It could be several awards, but I have always wondered if it might be a lifesaving medal, either from Turkey or Braunschweig. 

It was discussed here, but we couldn't reach a conclusion: 

post-547-0-61140100-1364126543.jpeg

post-547-0-35744000-1364126553.jpeg

Thanks for the correction, BlackcowboyBS! This way, all makes so much more sense. Not sure how I confused them, or where I read this - but now things are cleared up. Thanks again!

6 hours ago, BlackcowboyBS said:

I love life saving medals and I am allways tempted to start a collection on them

If I weren't so much into Baden, life saving medals of the German states would probably be my first alternative choice... but I really don't have enough funds or space for another field of collecting!

Might you have something from Brunswick or Hanover that we haven't seen here before to share? I have been the only one to post actual medals in this thread for more than four(!) years... let's change that!

;)

Edited by saschaw