News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luger holster - and a problem with it

Hi guys,

Not long ago got a very nice Luger holster, inside has a stamp of a producer in Darmstadt. Very good condition, only covered with lots of mildew, because spent decades in a damp basement. No rotting, only mildew. I was removed very easy and well with a dry cotton cloth.

However, today, a couple of weeks after it was put in the drawer, I spotted something unpleasant. As said, it had been for long in high humidity environment. And I am keeping it now in normal humidity.

And seems the leather has lost some moisture and has changed shape a little! The back "wall" of the holster has curved a little to the inside, the seams around the holster have opened. The stitching is strong, but if this process continue, it may be torn I think. What can I do??? Maybe it will change no more, but what if it continues to dry and bend? Maybe apply some leather care chemical, or simply keep it in a part of the house with higher humidity? The only thing I did so far is put it in a plastic bag, not to lose more moisture if possible... Thanks in advance for ideas!

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest kaiserzeit

Hi Theodor,

If you have a shop near you that sells horse riding gear, ask them about a good leather conditioner. That will help considerably. In North America, we use a product called Lexol.

Worst case, get some glycerine from your chemist/pharmacist - the oily stuff our grandmothers used to soften their skin. In very small amounts, rub it into the body of your holster - inside and out.

You are right to keep it in a sealed bag, that will help it maintain its 'equilibrium.'

Good luck,

Laurie Thomson

Guest Rick Research

I would think that putting it in a plastic bag would HURT it, by sealing in any damp so that it sweats/beads up and may re-start the mildew "out of sight out of mind." I know it's the wrong time of year, but I'd have thought plenty of fresh air and sunlight would help get any lingering internal damp out of the leather...

and it is the lingering damp trapped in it that is causing it to warp, not being drier. ??

Guest kaiserzeit

Hi Rick,

Generally, our North American central heating and air conditioning plays havoc on anything trying to maintain a certain inherant moisture content (wood, leather and the like). You are usually better to condition such a piece and then do your best to stabalize its environment - hence, the plastic bag.

Cheers,

Laurie

Guest Rick Research

You've got central heating? AND air conditioning? :o Not so here in Thrifty Yankees Land...

and I doubt where Theodor is, either, eh? I wouldn't say he's FAR far away, but he's fairly far away.

Not had any small village children taken by wolves yet this year there, Theodor? :cheers::cheeky:

It sounds like the same problem I had with my cigars. Got them too moist and some split, then they dried out to quickly. They recommend for cigars doing exactly the plastic bag thing. stabalize them and then slowly let moisture out over some time. Sounds the same to me. I would be leery of a leather conditioner.

Best, Sal

BTW, what is up Theodor? Nice to see you prowling around on the forums!

Guest kaiserzeit

... I would be leery of a leather conditioner.

Best, Sal....

Hi Sal, Theodor,

Very slowly, over time, leather loses its natural oils and becomes as dry as dust. That is why old leather goods develop cracks or just crumble.

The helmets, sword scabbards, breastbelts and so-on that we collect are all vulnerable to this drying. Especially when you consider that many of these pieces are pushing 100 or more years old.

In some cases it becomes a toss-up between a minor colour or textural change to condition the leather, or ending up losing a piece to old age. It is very much a personal call.

You do not want to "over-condition" a piece to the point where it becomes soggy, but it is prudent to replace enough of the leather's natural oils to keep it from drying out.

Why was your Granny's skin so soft? and you're such a tough, ugly mutt?

Cheers,

Laurie

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Not long after posting this I had big conection problems, so after got later back online seems missed the fact it is replied to the thread. Thanks for your replies!

To update this case, very shortly after I posted here, considered the plastic bag a bad idea and took the holster out. A couple of days later got a parcel from a friend who studies in the States - a box of Peckard stuff for leather tratment. I put that "fat" on the holster and the result is good in my opinion - some of it went inside the leather, fed it, but did not change the color and did not make the leather look like oiled. Also, the leather seems does not change shape anymore. The back wall of the holster stays a bit twisted, but not bad. I think after some time to repeat the application of Peckard. So far the result is good.

Guest kaiserzeit

Theodor,

If you can read it clearly, could you give me the manufacturer name, the city and the date?

Thanks,

Chip

Here you go, this may help:

www.pecard.com

Cheers,

Laurie

Hi Chip,

On the inside of the flap there is a square dry stamp, saying: "VERDINGUNGSSTELLE DER HANDWERKSKAMMER DARMSTADT".

I also have one of exactly the same type, marked J. WOLTER & Co, BERLIN WILMERS... 1916 - but unfortunately it is in poorest possible condition.

Edited by Theodor