News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Posters From The Northern Ireland "Troubles" of the 1970's

• Replies 61
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leigh - how quickly we forget all of these incidents and events. I - for one - am grateful that you take the time to post them. Like most police of that time , we were all involved in some way. Even you - in 'distant' Cambridge ! (I can imagine you on night duty - going round taking these posters off for your collection...

Tynesideirish didn't agree that these are going to be valuable - perhaps the recession has put a hold on things at present - however, give it a few years for things to settle down in Ireland and these will be very sought after for collections.

I was picking them up when I was in the army Merv - I think the posters that have a monetary value at the moment will be the large, colourful IRA ones.

I have one or two more IRA posters but as they show people with injuries they are'nt suitable for posting on GMIC.

I think tynesideirish is refering to the more "mundane" Loyalist & SF posters as not attracting much interest or monetary value at the moment.

• 2 years later...

Rather interesting topic. Admittedly, I know little about the politics of Ireland, though I should as my Irish Great Grandfather, the one who helped raise me and who I refer to as my "Da" was involved with the IRA. He left Ireland in the 20's, then got booted out of the US during Prohibition. He ended up in Canada running booze into the US via the fishing fleet into Gloucester, MA. (And to think I married a man in the Coast Guard, lol)

I remember Irish boys coming to visit in late June and staying until the beginning of August so the Orangemen wouldn't get them in July.

He died at 104 years old in October 1999. One of these days, I will get his journals and fill in all the blanks from the stories he told me, the things I remember from when he took me to Ireland when I was 5 in 1977 and the stories that other people told me about him.