News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

TeNo TN Technische Nothilfe Uniforms, Insignia & Other

Since the TeNo. TN. Technische Nothilfe became an integral part of the Polizei officially in 1937 (thus a part of the growing SS), this Sub Forum seems the right spot for TN Items, others to follow.

TeNo / TN-Mantel - I've been looking for a TN Overcoat for quite some time & expected to find one made of wool (If I was lucky enough to find one at all!) To my pleasant surprise, this TN-Mantel is made of a heavy Navy blue / dunkelblau Cotton fabric which has been 'water proofed.' Almost as heavy as a canvas, but slightly softer and more malleable. It's consistency is more like a duck hunter's all weather coat. The internal seams are all rubberized and there is a cotton strap with clip for attaching the TN F?hrerdolch, which passed through the left pocket.

The Mantel has TN-Kameradeschaftf?hrer's slip-in shoulder boards (with TN logo buttons)which is consistent with the 1940-1943 TN insignia in effect. Also present is the TN Tyr Rune Arrow noting that this officer had been through either the Belzig or Dresden TN-Reichschule. The TN triangular eagle patch is the standard metallic wire on dunkelblau model.

It is interesting that no collar tabs, or TN cuff title, were ever attached to this TN-Mantel. My belief is that since the purpose of the particular overcoat was for use in the rain, etc., that those insignia devices were omitted.

Official TN issued overcoats are distinctive in that they have 2 rows of 5 buttons each, 10 in total, and are the TN logo type (silver or OD, olive drab, in rare instances.) The TN assigned to the Heer and Luftwaffe used their overcoats, which are the 2 rows of 6 button's types (12 buttons in total). (TN in Kriegs' service did exist, but is so rare, that I have not yet even seen any uniform photos!)

All in all, I feel that it is a nice representative TN uniform item of a TN-Mantel.

Txs, Dave/dblmed

The TN Honor Badges of 1919 - 1923 are some of the most impressive badges of the TR (since they were issued over a 12 month frame of time starting on October 1, 1935 onward.)

The Urkunde for the TN Honor Badge is a splendid large document, and fewer of these apparently survived than did the TN Honor Badges themselves. Since only about 5,500 TN Honor Badges were issued, they are not too commonly found. This Urkunde came without the matching badge, so hopefully I will be able to match them up some day. Txs, Dave/dblmed

Edited by dblmed

1923 TN Honor Badge by William F?hner of Pforzheim, with the Issue Number added by hand punch. (It has been substantiated that the TN HB issue number was not the same as the TN man's ID number or his Ausweis number.)

? REVERSE ? Txs, Dave/dblmed

Edited by dblmed

This photo is one of my favorites and was taken on October 1, 1934. It shows a TN unit with flag marching past a group of dignitaries in Berlin. (October 1 of each year since 1919 was celebrated as the 'birthday' of the Technische Nothilfe. Txs, Dave/dblmed

TN Reichsschule Belzig - the TN Officer who wore the Mantel shown in the 1st post would have been a graduate of one of the two schools, at either TN Belzig or TN Dresden (most likely from Belzig, per period references).

This colorful period Post Card by the artist D?brich Steglitz features a TN class passing through the arch of the TN Reichsschule at Belzig.

Txs, Dave/dblmed

Edited by dblmed

Guest Rick Research

VERY interesting and obscure organization. :cheers: Aside from Robert Noss's photographs of this organization, I don't think I've EVER seen any uniforms in 40 years.

VERY interesting and obscure organization. :cheers: Aside from Robert Noss's photographs of this organization, I don't think I've EVER seen any uniforms in 40 years.

I am with Rick on this one. I have developed an interest after reading about it in Mr Littlejohn's last book.

Can you please post some closeups of the insignia on your overcoat?

Thank you Rick. I have been very interested in the TN for about 10 years, and have tried to collect items and learn more about the organization. I've had some great luck along the way in acquiring special TN items, and in making TN friends.

Yes, Robert Noss does have the most outstanding TeNo / TN Photos of all! He certainly has the rare, the special, and the ususual for sure, and is very generous in sharing them as well.

Here is my TN Tunic with VII/35 tabs (collar patches) which I have ID'd as the Ortsgruppe in the town of Prenzlau (35) within the Landesgruppe "VII". (The collecting community will finally have access to a > 800-900 ID'd Ortsgruppen database found in the TN Chapter and Appendix D, with the publication of the new book, "Volume II, Police" from Bender by Hugh Page Taylor and Jack Angolia, to be released by the holidays.)

The rank boards are those of a Scharf?hrer (officially 1936-1942, but continued to be used afterwards inside of the Reich.)

If there is some interest, I can post some TN photos later as well. Txs, Dave/dblmed

? TN Tunic - FRONT ?

Edited by dblmed

Hi Paul,

You and I had some neat discussions regarding the TN (on another Forum last year.) Glad to see your continued interest in the Technische Nothilfe!

? TN-Kameradschaftf?hrer Shoulder Board ?

Here is a photo of the left shoulder area of the mantel showing the TN-Kameradschaftf?hrer's slip-in shoulder board (with TN logo button.) The shoulder board shows wear, which is nice. The top is a of matte silver material and the underside is black cloth.

The texture of the 'Cotton Duck' material of which the TN Mantel is constructed is also shown pretty well (to my surprise also). Txs, Dave/dblmed

? TN-Reichsschule Arrow & TN Eagle Sleeve Patch ?

Another left shoulder photo of the TN-Reichsschule Arrow (of the same matte silver material, as the shoulder board) and the TN dunkelblau eagle triangle patch with metallic wire construction. (With only one exception, the TN NEVER used Black as an eagle color, and did not use Black as a uniform color, as is often incorrectly referenced. The very dark Navy Blue / Dunkelblau has been mistaken for Black in the past.)

You can also nicely see the slip-on aspect of the Kameradschaftf?hrer's shoulder board above.

Txs, Dave/dblmed

? TN-Reichsschule Arrow & TN Eagle Sleeve Patch ?

Another left shoulder photo of the TN-Reichsschule Arrow (of the same matte silver material, as the shoulder board) and the TN dunkelblau eagle triangle patch with metallic wire construction. (With only one exception, the TN NEVER used Black as an eagle color, and did not use Black as a uniform color, as is often incorrectly referenced. The very dark Navy Blue / Dunkelblau has been mistaken for Black in the past.)

You can also nicely see the slip-on aspect of the Kameradschaftf?hrer's shoulder board above.

Txs, Dave/dblmed

Wow!! I did not know you had a tunic as well. Very rare stuff! I would love to see more, if it exists. I am surprised that more of this stuff was not brought back, with GI's confusing the uniforms as SS.

? TN Officer - 1937 - Photo ?

This nice portrait photo shows a TN Officer in 1937, although the photo is undated. (Note - all items are from my collection, as per forum posting rules.)

He wears the Pre-1936 single right shoulder board only, and his visor has black & silver cording on the crest (seen faintly on his right side), which was done away with in the 1936 uniform changes. Also the visor's main cording / chin strap was changed to all silver for officers at that time. (Since uniform insignia changes were introduced with a usual gradual change [over a number of months] to the latest requirements, it is not unusal to find photos with this mix of date items.) He has his WWi medals in wear, and most early TN officers seem to have had WWI service experience.

Also present on the left sleeve is the TN Reichsschule Arrow patch above the TN Eagle sleeve triangle. The specific TN Eagle sleeve triangle patch was introduced in 1937, so this dates the photo, IMO. A TN logo button can be seen at the black cross strap, and at the right pocket.

The left collar patch (tab) places him in several possible rank classifications (Gefolgschaftsf?hrer to Scharf?hrer), which can not be exactly determined without being able to see the single shoulder board.

The TN specific visor eagle was introduced in 1935 - first as a Nickel Silver model and later in the more commonly found Aluminum (white metal) which continued in use until 8 May, 1945. The TN specific laurel leaf cockarde was introduced at some time After the TN visor eagle (exact date is unknown, but late 1936 photos show it in wear.) Txs, Dave / dblmed

Edited by dblmed

? TN Side Caps ?

Side caps worn by the Technische Nothilfe are usually thought of a being the Navy blue / dunkelblau color, and this is the case from 1933 - about 1939. Variations of the blue included several shades; finer material for Officers; and some seldom found 'piping' on the wings or at the crest of the side cap.

The TN (destined for service outside of the Reich) gradually phased into wearing the field-grey of the Heer at about this time [1939], and thus field-grey or even green TN side caps are found. A 'standard' dunkelblau TN side cap on the Left, and a green wool TN side cap on the right. Of interest is that the cap TN eagle triangle patch has been found in a number of colors - dunkelblau, medium blue and green. The side cap TN eagle triangle patch is smaller than the sleeve triangle & it is also distinguished by the eagle's head facing to it's Left - the exact opposite of the sleeve eagle. Txs, Dave / dblmed

? TN Side Caps - Exterior ?

Edited by dblmed

? TN Side Caps - Interior ?

The side caps were often ink stamped marked with the familiar pre-1933 TN 'logo' device - which was carried over into the TR. The letters "TN" are found inside of a surrounding cog-wheel (of usually 15 cogs) and often the size marking. The letter "T" takes on the shape of the characteristic TN hammer representation, which is found throughout various TN insignia. Different qualities of wool can be observed between the dunkelblau and green TN side caps. Txs, Dave / dblmed

Edited by dblmed

The TN green side cap is worn in this photograph by the TN Vormann who sent home a special horesehoe 'good luck'post card made for him in Frankreich / France (undated).

His TN collar patches (tabs) and shoulder board are nicely seen, with the black & silver piping around them. His TN logo buttons (TN inside of a cogwheel) are also visible in the photo.

The TN generally used the belt buckle of whatever branch of service to which they might be attached (Heer & Luft for certain and probably ?Kriegs? as well, but no photographic proof has yet been seen, to my knowlege.)

If you download and look at his buckle under magnification, it appears to have surrounding "Cogs" and an "N" visible, to my eyes. "IF" this is indeed the case, it would represent the continued use of the short lived TN 1933-34 EM flat buckle, or another TN buckle which has not yet been identified. Txs, Dave / dblmed

Edited by dblmed

TeNo 1933-37 Sleeve Patch - In Wear....in 1934 Photo

TeNo Square Sleeve Patch ? from PRIOR to when the TeNo Eagle Patch Existed:

From studying Period Photographs, It is my belief that the below shown 2.5 Inch X 2.5 Inch TeNo Cloth Sleeve Patch, is a relatively Scarce Surviving Patch. (WHY? Because I feel certain that it was replaced by the TeNo Sleeve Eagle, and thus was no longer was needed, & was put away or discarded! So, surviving examples are 'Scarce' & are difficult to locate.)

Photos show this Patch (which, at 1st glance ?looks? like it was cut out of a TeNo ?White? Arm Band) in wear ? sewn to the LEFT Shoulder area ? in the same spot where the TeNo Eagle Patch will later appear. (See the TeNo Men Marching 1934 Photo Post)

Also Photos show this Small Patch in Use / Wear at the Same Time ? as the White TeNo Armband. So, we can conclude that they are contemporary in time ? at least from the onset. (The White TeNo Armband definitely did survive longer ? and it is ?fairly? common for collectors to find).

It was my prior belief (which has now been Confirmed by Littlejohn's "Defending the Reich") that this small TeNo Sleeve Patch was the Predecessor of the more familiar Left Sleeve TeNo Eagle Patch.

WHEN Did the "Patch to TeNo Eagle Triangle" Change take Place? There is now Confirmation that the TeNo Eagle Triangle Patch was introduced in 1937 - and that the Prior 'TeNo Square' was not to be worn afterwards. It is interesting to follow the transition. Txs, Dave/dblmed

Most impressive Dave! In all of my time of collecting, I have not been able to find any collar tabs for this organization to add to my collection. Your pieces are truly outstanding. I look forward to seeing your collection grow!

Paul

TeNo 1933-37 Sleeve Patch - In Wear....in 1934 Photo

TeNo Square Sleeve Patch ? from PRIOR to when the TeNo Eagle Patch Existed:

From studying Period Photographs, It is my belief that the below shown 2.5 Inch X 2.5 Inch TeNo Cloth Sleeve Patch, is a relatively Scarce Surviving Patch. (WHY? Because I feel certain that it was replaced by the TeNo Sleeve Eagle, and thus was no longer was needed, & was put away or discarded! So, surviving examples are 'Scarce' & are difficult to locate.)

Photos show this Patch (which, at 1st glance ?looks? like it was cut out of a TeNo ?White? Arm Band) in wear ? sewn to the LEFT Shoulder area ? in the same spot where the TeNo Eagle Patch will later appear. (See the TeNo Men Marching 1934 Photo Post)

Also Photos show this Small Patch in Use / Wear at the Same Time ? as the White TeNo Armband. So, we can conclude that they are contemporary in time ? at least from the onset. (The White TeNo Armband definitely did survive longer ? and it is ?fairly? common for collectors to find).

It was my prior belief (which has now been Confirmed by Littlejohn's "Defending the Reich") that this small TeNo Sleeve Patch was the Predecessor of the more familiar Left Sleeve TeNo Eagle Patch.

WHEN Did the "Patch to TeNo Eagle Triangle" Change take Place? There is now Confirmation that the TeNo Eagle Triangle Patch was introduced in 1937 - and that the Prior 'TeNo Square' was not to be worn afterwards. It is interesting to follow the transition. Txs, Dave/dblmed

Hello!

Never seen this before.Thanks for sharing. :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

All the best :cheers:

Nesredep

Very good thread about a relatively unknown organisation!

Recently, pictures and docs of a high TeNo leader have been sold on ebay:

Gustav Curtze, 1914 Hptm der Pioniere, HHOX and several other awards during WW1, until 1942 TeNo-Landesf?hrer X Nordwest, died 1.1.1946.

Edited by webr55