News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

TeNo TN Technische Nothilfe Uniforms, Insignia & Other

Hi nesredep,

The TN was also active in Norway, although very little is yet known about their activities. I am informed that there will be a section, with photos, on the TN Norway / Teknisk Nodhjelp in the new book (which I referenced previously). The only Teknisk Nodhjelp item which I have been able to locate thus far is this membership book, which is unfortunately a blank one. If you come across anyTeknisk Nodhjelp items, pop me an email! Txs, Dave / dblmed

Hi webr55,

That is really great information on TN-Landesf?hrer Gustav Curtze. I have not seen any photos of him before, so thank you! The more that we see, the more that we learn about the Technische Nothilfe.

The 1st photo shows Curtze in full dress Landesf?hrer uniform with gold bullion collar tabs and shoulder boards. (I have yet to see an example of these high ranking insignia.) He also wears the ultra rare TN Aguillette (which is reviewed in Saris' recent book on Aguillettes ? sp). His visor has bullion TN eagle and laurel wreath, with a plain banding (which would have also been in gold color.) Since there is no black & gold 'piping' we can conclude that the photo is consistent with the visor specifications of after 1937. His parade medals are quite impressive. A Great photo!

The 2nd photo pictures Landesf?hrer Curtze in the field in a different uniform, which has lapel piping, wearing his parade bar, instead of medals. The TN sleeve eagle tells us that this is also a 1937, or later photo. It is interesting to me because he has no left shoulder board - which was changed by 1936 regulations to two boards. (Also the cross strap goes with the earlier single board as well.) So, he is probably in a 'transitional' period of switching over from one unifomr insignia type to the next. He wears the wide TN officer's belt and buckle. The special TN officer buckles were not put into use until 1940, and are seldom seen. Another great photo.

Was the photo offering on eBay.De? Any idea who ended up with his collection of photos and documents? Thanks for sharing! Dave / dblmed

Paul R,

You are absolutely right that TN collar tabs just don't show up that often. I am always on the search for them, and seldom find them!

These TN collar tabs (collar patches) are "X/6" which makes them

X = Landesgruppe X (Curtze's Landesgruppe, by coincidence!) &

6 = Ortsgruppe located in Kamenz Txs, Dave / dblmed

Hi nesredep,

The TN was also active in Norway, although very little is yet known about their activities. I am informed that there will be a section, with photos, on the TN Norway / Teknisk Nodhjelp in the new book (which I referenced previously). The only Teknisk Nodhjelp item which I have been able to locate thus far is this membership book, which is unfortunately a blank one. If you come across anyTeknisk Nodhjelp items, pop me an email! Txs, Dave / dblmed

Hallo!

Sure! I`ll give You a note!

Thanks for all TN information!

All the best :cheers:

Nesredep

Paul R,

You are absolutely right that TN collar tabs just don't show up that often. I am always on the search for them, and seldom find them!

These TN collar tabs (collar patches) are "X/6" which makes them

X = Landesgruppe X (Curtze's Landesgruppe, by coincidence!) &

6 = Ortsgruppe located in Kamenz Txs, Dave / dblmed

Thanks Dave!!

In your experience, when you do find these items, do they go for large sums of currency? Thanks to Mr Littlejohns last book, I have learned much about this organization and have gained a relatively new level of regard for these emergency responders.

Paul, the prices of TN items is all over the map, depending upon who is the seller (like so much of our TR collecting hobby items!)

Collar tabs (patches) sell from $75 - $300 / single Rt. or Lt. tab, in my experience (less when one is lucky enough to find several at a time). I have yet to see a gold, Landesf?hrer & higher tab, for sale in the last 7-8 years, and don't know what price a seller would place on it. TN shoulder boards are also in that wide price range as well.

The TN bullion tabs sell for more, as they are even harder to come by. I concentrate on the collecting the TN (and dabble in other TR areas - can't collect it all!) and thus try to stay on top of what is happening TN wise. (But, it is generally a lot of looking for, and very little actual finding.)

I was very fortunate and acquired some bullion tabs, which make a nice addition to the collection.

They are IX/32 and the bullion is in very good condition, without the oxidation that we sometimes see.

IX = Landesgruppe IX/9

32 = Ortsgruppe in a yet unknown city

Various authors estimate that there were > 1,500 Ortsgruppen, so the search for the city location is a continuing one. ....... Txs, Dave / dblmed

TeNo Organization and Landesf?hrer

Details on the organizational structure of the TeNo and the names of the Landef?hrer were posted by someone at the AHF a couple of years ago. I thought it would be good to add them here, as this information seems hard to find. There are probably typing mistakes in the names, but I quote them as they were posted. The ranks must be Polizei ranks. I have added additional info in brackets, but could not find much on most of these. They are not in the ranklists I have.

I Ost

Oberst Ehrbar to 1941

Oberst Schriever

II Nord

Hermans to 1940

SS OStubaf Ernst Schilling to 4 44

Hauptbereitschaftsf?hrer Langjahr

III Mark Brandenburg

Gen Maj Josef Foroni to 1937

Gen Maj Helmuth Gerloff to 1939 [maybe Prof. Dr. Helmuth Gerloff, SS-Brigadef?hrer und Generalmajor der Polizei, 1894-?]

Oberst Schroder [schr?der?] to 22.1.43

Gen Maj Josef Foroni to 8.5.43

Oberst Schroder [schr?der?] to 1945

IV Ober-Elbe

Gen Maj Richard Burban

V S?dwest

SS Stubaf Ernst Oelker

VI Westfalen-Niederrhein

Oberst Friedrich Prussner

VII Bayern-S?d

Oberst Dull

VIII Schlesien

Berger

VIIIa Oberschlesien

Oberstleutnant Haust 1943 -1945

IX Hessen-Th?ringen

Oberstlt Hopker

X Nordwest

Curtze to 1942

Oberstlt Maack to 1943

Kollmeyer

XI Mitte

Schlager to 1942

Major Langjahr

XII Westmark

Gen Maj Franz Wenzel

XIII Nordbayern-Egerland

SS Stubaf Leo Meier to 1943

SS Stubaf Hans Zimmer

XVII Ostmark-Nord

Gen Maj Walter Junecke to 17.1.43

Oberst Carl Stauss to 7.44

then ???

XVIII Ostmark-S?d

Carl Stauss 1939 - 1945

XX Danzig-Westpreussen

Willibald Kamm

XXI Wartheland

Oberstlt Adalbert Schulze

Thanks Webr55,

That is a very nice listing of the TN Landesf?hrers for our reference!

Attached is a photo (LT.) the head of the TN, Chef der TN Hans Weinreich (und also SS Gruppenf?hrer, wearing his SS Uniform) and TN Landesf?hrer Walther Junecke (LG XVII - Wein) - (RT.)

The photo was taken at during a visit of dignitaries at the ORPO (Order Police) Lager Pohrlitz in the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia, in 1942 prior to Junecke''s transfer in 1943 to TN Headquarters - the RATN (Reichsamt Technische Nothilfe) as Chef der Stab in Berlin. It is fascinating to be able to link photos to these TN Landesf?hrers. ... (I use a RATN document seal, as my Avatar) ..... Txs, Dave / dblmed

You have an exceptionally NICE TN Gold Honor Pin!

Your pin looks to have "SILBER" marked at the bottom rim, which is very special & indicates that it is made of Silver (usually .900 quality, or .925 quality), and then there is a 'Gold' color plated over the Silver. This model is almost always found with a solid back, like yours.

This model pin was awarded for some special honor by the TN, and it was accompanied by a magnificent hand written and hand decorated Urkunde document as well. It is not rare, but it is definitely 'scarce.'

Your pin is identified as being He/H? #9711 b, (Heering-H?sken's Handbuch numbering system, which most European dealers use for the ID of all pins.)

The more common TN needle / lapel pin which is found is the 'stamped' metal model of a silver metallic color with the stamped indented back, not a solid back (and rarely with any markings, however a few examples with the .900 have been found.) He/H? Handbuch shows the Gold TN pin as only the 'b' configuration, but I have also seen them in the 'a' configuration. The Gold & Silver colored Pins were primarily pre-TR TN, but they were also awarded after Jan. 30, 1933, so they are also considered to be TR pins. Super example.

Below is a copy of the TN Pin's page from my old He/H? Handbuch, which shows us the numbering system. The Handbuch is from the 1980's/early 1990's before color printing was in common use. The picture images are Not too good, but this is still the 'best' TN pin book which collector's have. (Cone also has a nice pin book. Both He/H? and Cone are out of print, and thus hard to find.) (Prices shown are in DM, prior to the Euro.)

Webr55, If you EVER get tired of looking at your TN Gold pin, I'd love to have it my collection! Just pop me an email! Txs, Dave/dblmed

Edited by dblmed

Here is an example of the special certificate, Urkunde which was awarded at the time of the presentation of the GOLD TeNo/TN PIN. The date of the initial awarding of the Gold TN pin is unknown, but examples are known to have been awarded in 1934, and perhaps later. ..... Txs, Dave / dblmed

Specific details of this very special Urkunde for the award of the TN Gold Pin (Goldene Nothelferzeichen) are shown:

? LEFT: The very attractive hand lettered certificate, Urkunde, features the familiar TN Logo, of the Cog-Wheel surrounding the stylized "TN." (This same TN Logo was continued on the TR flags, banners, sleeve square (until 1937), armbands (the White ones), TN equipment, and even the 1942/43 TN Diamond Raute for the sleeve of the TN-Police uniform.)

? CENTER: The details of the Awarded "Nothelferzeichen in Gold" are prominently featured in RED, on the Urkunde, underlying its importance.

? RIGHT: Each TN Gold Pin (Goldene Nothelferzeichen) Urkunde was apparently hand signed by Otto Lummitzsch, the founder of the TN in 1919 (and the post WWII founder of the THW, Technische Hilfswerke, in the early 1950's). After having lead the TN for 25 years, Lummitzsch was forced to resign his position in the TN in 1934, due to the strict 'racial purity' laws then in force, which determined that his wife was 1/2 Jewish. Hans Weinreich, later also SS Gruppenf?hrer, was designated as his successor, and he served as Chef der TN until 1943. ..... Txs, Dave/dblmed

Edited by dblmed

Dear Webr55, ... It is always so nice to have the name of the TN-Mann, which accompanies any TN items. It makes it more interesting and more personal, and sometimes allows for research.

? What was Gustav Klee's rank in the TN?

It seems that the TN men who were awarded the TN Gold Pin were usually of long service, or of a higher rank (or perhaps did something special or outstanding?) (Again, not too much is fully known about the circumstances of the award - other than it was very special. ..... Txs, Dave / dblmed

Dear Webr55, ... It is always so nice to have the name of the TN-Mann, which accompanies any TN items. It makes it more interesting and more personal, and sometimes allows for research.

? What was Gustav Klee's rank in the TN?

I wish I knew -- he was "Amtmann" and formerly a high ranking Beamter in the administration of the Technical University of Hannover. The university also gave him a "honorary citizenship". The medal for this honor was included in the lot; I can show them later.

Edited by webr55

TeNo / TN FAMILY OF 3 Members - 1935 Photos

Here's, what certainly looks like an 'early' TeNo / TN Family Photo, including the young boy. (One is marked with 1933 on the back of one of the Photos, BUT... the TN Visor Eagle only was introduced in about 1935, so the marking is not totally correct, IMO.)

The TN uniforms of the two adults are interesting for their

Diversity - different construction, different collars/lapels, different shades of dunkelblau., as well as their

Similarity - standard TN 4 button closure, 4 pockets, TN logo buttons used, single right shoulder board (of the Pre-1936 regulations), belt and cross strap.

What I find of special interest in these Photos, is:

a1) LEFT - the Right & Left Collar ID's are JUST Pressed On Metal - "III" on Right & "5" on the Left - into the lapels, with no TeNo Black Tab, as we know it - on the LEFT Young Man.

a2) RIGHT - Dad / GrandDad DOES have Black Collar Tabs seen, with the "III" & "5" pressed into them.

(Littlejohn comments that it is not known 'exactly' when the Black TeNo Tabs 1st began and seems to lean toward 1936 - but I have Photos of them in use - definitely in 1934.... & in this set of Photos, so it was earlier - but their use may not have been universal, as these photos also show - as one is 'with Collar Tabs' & one is 'without' Tabs).

b1). LEFT - Visor - The wreath / Cockade is NOT the familiar (common) TN Later Laural Leaf. It is an Oak Leaf Cockade (similar, or the same, as the Heer and others - as shown in the Assmann catalog. (I believe that the Oak Leaf was used in 1935-36, until the Laurel Cockade was introduced. Photos also support this.)

b2). LEFT - Visor - Added Piece of Metal, of some sort of "Star" on the Cap. (Significance is not known)

c. RIGHT - Dad / GrandDad - wears the Pre-1937 TeNo Square Left Sleeve Patch (Armabzeichen) on the Left Arm.

d. RIGHT - Dad / GrandDad - wears the rarely seen LUFTSHUTZ cuff band, and not the TN Cuff Band. (The LD - Luftshutzdienst, was one of the very important TN functions - only later to be turned over to the Luftshutzpolizei.)

e. Child (? Grandson) - in wearing a miniature 'Semi-TeNo-Like' Uniform.... like the BIG Guys....

(His belt is a square type which is unidentified.)

Other Collectors may see other things in the photos that I haven't.

It is apparent to me - that TeNo Collar Insignias / Uniforms 'evolved' with the passage of time & that their were different styles in use at the same time (as these photos do show so well.) Photos do show it best and I have concentrated on acquiring TN photos to further learn the TN story.

Webr55... Yes, the 'honorary citizenship' (?Urkunde) and Medal would be great to see.

Since the TN cadre members were of Technical backgrounds, the various Tech. Schools / Universaries would have been a natural site for finding future members. ........................ Txs, Dave/dblmed

Edited by dblmed

? TN Family of 3 Members - Larger RIGHT Photo.

(Please Excuse the Ownership Watermarks. I've had 2 photos downloaded, copied and then sold of eBay in the past. So, I've started to mark them, but hopefully in areas of minor photo details.) ...... Txs, Dave/dblmed