News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Army Despatch Riders WWII

More findings from the garage.

The Rubberized coat:

From British Army Uniforms and Insignia of World War Two, by Brian L. Davis:

The Rubber-Proofed Coat, Pattern 1942

The Rubber-Proofed Coat, Pattern 1942 for wear by motor-cyclists was made in such a way that the tail could be brought up through the crutch and buttoned over the wearers stomach and around each leg, strong press-studs being provided for this purpose. The coat was introduced in March 1942 to replace the existing motor-cyclists protective clothing, which consisted of rubber-proofed jackets and leggings and which had been found to be unsuitable. The new coat underwent stringent testing under a variety of weather conditions before it was introduced.

The new coat gradually replaced the rubber-proofed jacket and leggings as and when the latter became unserviceable. Both types of clothing were worn within a unit for a time until the new coat became the standard issue garment (ACI 610 dated 21 March 1942).

Edited by leigh kitchen

Despatch Riders? Crash Helmet (First Pattern).

The ?pulp helmet?, so named as it was produced to was the standard pattern crash helmet for use before the war and up to July 1943, when it began gradually to be replaced by the despatch riders Mark I steel helmet. Because of its internal construction, its external profile was higher than was the case with the DR?s steel helmet: this was the result of the inner sling which, when the helmet was worn, rested on the crown of the wearer?s head, The loops of this inner sliinghad to be tied tight enough to leave a space between the under-side of the crown of the helmet and the crown of the wearer?s head, the space being the safety margin afforded to the wearer in the event of an accident or collision. The inner sling was held in position by a cordlaced in and out of a series of eyelet holes that pierced the rim of the helmet. The helmet had a leather neck flap that also formed the chin-strap.

The pulp helmet - refurbished by the Belgian miltary?

Edited by leigh kitchen

Despatch Riders? Mark I Steel Helmet.

In July 1943 approval was given for the issue of the ?Steel Helmet, DR Mark I? on the scale of one helmet for each officer and other rank, later to include personnel of the ATS, to whom a motor-cycle or side-car combination was specifically allotted in War Establishments.

With the issue of she despatch rider?s steel helmet, the Mark I steel helmet, together with the pulp crash helmet previously worn by motor-cyclists and dispatch riders, was withdrawn from use. A pool of DR crash helmets was kept in unit stores in sufficient numbers to meet the requirements of pillion riders, side-car passengers and other users, including those undergoing motor-cycle training.

A very high proportion of injuries resulting from motor-cycle accidents were fractured skulls or other head injuries. The wearing of the DR Mark I steel helmet was made compulsory for all officers, other ranks and auxiliaries who traveled on duty by motor-cycle, whether driving or riding as pillion or as a passenger in side-cars. The only exceptions to this ruling were for operational, training or other conditions that made it necessary for other forms of headgear to be worn. These were as follows.

1. The Mark I steel helmet, during active operations, during operational training or in air raids, by occasional riders, pillion riders and side-car passengers.

2. Soft caps, where these were especially ordered higher authority for the purpose of distinguishing between opposing sides during training.

3. In other circumstances when authorized by the War Office, C-in-Cs or GOs C-in-C.

The RAC Mark I steel helmet that was issued to the personnel of the Royal Armoured Corps was valueless as a crash helmet for motor-cyclists, since although it was of similar shape it had insufficient anchorage to make it stable enough; because of this it was not permitted to be worn by motor-cyclists.

The former DR crash helmet (the pulp helmet) continued in use with the Home Guard.

Edited by leigh kitchen

• 3 years later...

Hi Leigh.

Just doing some research on the rubberized coat which you talk of above. We have stumbled across a few of them, brand new. Not sure of the linking rules on the site but you can see them in detail here: Direct Link removed to commercial sales website

We were just wondering if we could use the above photo on our site?

Most of the military parts which we supply are for Triumph TRW, on which we have created a history page with a register of our customers, see: http://burtonbikebits.net/triumphtrw.htm

Any info you have would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Danny

Danny - firstly welcome to GMIC - we must hope that you will become a regular contributor. I am sorry to tell you that Leigh left some time ago - he had illness in the family. I think that I can give you permission to reproduce the above photograph - providing that you give GMIC a credit.

I hope other members will be able to assist you further in your research - and we will all be interested to learn how you get-on. Mervyn

ps. I have just noticed on the comments sections that you are advertising spare parts for a m/cycle. I am sorry that this is not allowed and I have had to make a deletion. Perhaps put them on - one at a time on our For Sale section - better still just mention to any members that may contact you.

• 1 month later...