News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Finally found a halfway decent photograph of the Hessian Red Cross medal that I was thinking of. It has 1914 on it, so I suppose that question is answered at least.

Knowing my luck, there's probably a decoration or two on here that's being represented by a "close enough" expediency.

Edited by landsknechte

• Replies 50
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS: The cross was made 1870/71, 1876, there's a bar for 1914..... then remade 1914, 1914-17, 1917

Good luck catching all the date variations! ;>)

At least that leaves the "order of received" theory intact should that be what's represented.

Thanks,

--Chris

Guest Rick Research

And he scores scores SCORES!!!!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Still can't explain any of it, but the ORANGE edges and proportions on that are an EXACT match, and since the entire bar x2 is screwy, why not? Luxemburg, Holland....

My best guess had been the old M1825-1913 Prussian XXI Years Service Brooch, but the edges on your 1909 are definitely a match, while a yellow edged XXI was just nearest seeming rationally possible.

Once we simply discard "possible" things for what is actually ON these two Freaky Bars... :cheeky:

Give yourself a second notch for identification of bizarre ribbons!!!! :cheers:

And he scores scores SCORES!!!!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Still can't explain any of it, but the ORANGE edges and proportions on that are an EXACT match, and since the entire bar x2 is screwy, why not? Luxemburg, Holland....

My best guess had been the old M1825-1913 Prussian XXI Years Service Brooch, but the edges on your 1909 are definitely a match, while a yellow edged XXI was just nearest seeming rationally possible.

Once we simply discard "possible" things for what is actually ON these two Freaky Bars... :cheeky:

Give yourself a second notch for identification of bizarre ribbons!!!! :cheers:

...and it gets weirder. There's another one out there. These were given out by Adolph of Nassau until 1866 as an official state decoration of Nassau, and until 1890 as a decoration "from exile", and then from 1890 onwards as an official decoration of Luxemburg. :speechless:

Guest Rick Research

Hmm... two possibles for the price of one-- is that double points or half credit each?

Anyway, "Luxemburg Wuzzit" still claims 1st position!

Well it looks like we can scratch the Milit?r-Sanit?ts-Kreuz off for the red and white ribbon. It appears as if that one is supposed to appear on a red ribbon with wider silver stripes.

Are there any units that have Dutch "chiefs", possibly as an explanation for the Dutch ribbon?

Edited by landsknechte

Well it looks like we can scratch the Milit?r-Sanit?ts-Kreuz off for the red and white ribbon. It appears as if that one is supposed to appear on a red ribbon with wider silver stripes.

Just to confuse matters, the Milit?r-Sanit?ts-Kreuz was also awarded on the same ribbon as for the Hessen Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen for front-line medics.

Just to confuse matters, the Milit?r-Sanit?ts-Kreuz was also awarded on the same ribbon as for the Hessen Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen for front-line medics.

Ah well, at least we can say with some reasonable shred of certainty that it was something Hessian. If it weren't for that meddling KEZ, we'd at least be able to narrow it down to something medical.

But the CoL has white stripes on red. This is my 1918 model with swords. Ok, the stripes are too narrow... ;) I also think it is something from Hessen on the ribbon bar. Maybe the Sani-Cross.

Edited by JensF.

• 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...