News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Darrell

1. Liberation of Belgrad medal - 20.10.1944

1. Defence of Kiev medal - for our soviet country

2. 13.02.1945

2. 13.04.1945

Correct so far ... but what medals did the wrong dates actually belong to? :rolleyes:

Guest Darrell

That should be

Capture of Budapest

Capture of Vienna

As i know, Andreas knew this for sure, i will let him ask the next question.

Yep Gerd is right. If Gerd wants to ... we'll let Andreas have the turn of asking a question. Good Going guys

:beer:

Bye the way, I have read an article that some collectors think, these two medals with the wrong dates are fakes / fantasy pieces.

As I know the first pieces appeared in the beginning 90?s.

So, here is the next question: Lets start with an easy one, to get warm :rolleyes:

1. Who is this women.

2. and where is she buried

Edited by Alfred

Ok ... I'll post one. This question has six answers.

Of the WW2 Soviet Combat "Defense / Capture / Liberation" medals ... there were two "mint" mistakes, where the reverse of a medal was inavertently stamped with the wrong date. These rare medals are now called Variation 2.

1. Can you name the two medals.

2. What is the incorrect reverse stamping of each?

3. What medals were these incorrect stampings supposed to be for?

Darrell,

Good questions... and good answers. Thanks for helping this thread taking off!! :beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

Bye the way, I have read an article that some collectors think, these two medals with the wrong dates are fakes / fantasy pieces.

(...)

Alfred,

Very interesting!! Could you post this article somewhere in the Forum ?

Cheers.

Ch.

So, here is the next question: Lets start with an easy one, to get warm :rolleyes:

1. Who is this women.

2. and where is she buried

Alfred,

Back to your question!!! :P

About this woman, I have no idea... Is she Russian ?

Ch.

The only thing I know that she did was the sculpture inside the Neue Wache in Berlin. I didn't know more about here before doing small research on Internet.

I found this on internet :

Am 22. April 1945 stirbt K?the Kollwitz. Die Urne mit der Asche wird nach Berlin ?berf?hrt und auf dem Zentralfriedhof Friedrichsfelde im September 1945 beigesetzt.

So she is in Berlin, but I don't know where is located the Zentralfriedhof Friedrichsfelde in Berlin.

Edited by Soviet

Gentlemen,

I have arrived at this thread a bit late, for which I apologize, and would like to go back to post #9.

I had the good fortune to visit the Karlshorst Museum in the spring of 1994. Unfortunately, I did not have at that time the interest in Soviet that I have now; but I do remember that the displays and archives were, even to me back then, truly fantastic.

Christophe, can you tell us if this museum is still open and does it still have all of those incredible displays and related material, or do they just have the items which you mentioned - ?...the office of Zhukov, several uniforms and medals (Zhukov, Koniev?), and outside a battery of Soviet military weapons...?? The museum was still controlled and staffed by the Red Army when I was there in ?94; did they take the rest with them when they left?. If all is still in place, I can not strongly enough recommend a visit by anyone who follows this forum (Soviet & Eastern Block Militaria & Awards).

Thank you and best wishes,

Wild Card

Soviet,

you where close but I think it is Klara Zetkin. She is a german women. She received in 1927 the Order of

Red Banner from Woronshilov (see added picture) and in 1933 she received the Lenin Order.

She died in 1933 and is buried in Moscow at the Kreml wall. She was a leading person of the german comunist party and a friend of Lenin. 1921 became CLARA ZETKIN president of the international worker

assistance and 1925 chairmen of the international red assistance.

best regards

Andreas

Alfred,

Very interesting!! Could you post this article somewhere in the Forum ?

Cheers.

Ch.

Sorry Christophe,

I couldn?t remeber/find it, where I have read it. Maybe it was on the mondvor side.

regards

Andreas

Gentlemen,

I have arrived at this thread a bit late, for which I apologize, and would like to go back to post #9.

I had the good fortune to visit the Karlshorst Museum in the spring of 1994. Unfortunately, I did not have at that time the interest in Soviet that I have now; but I do remember that the displays and archives were, even to me back then, truly fantastic.

Christophe, can you tell us if this museum is still open and does it still have all of those incredible displays and related material, or do they just have the items which you mentioned - ?...the office of Zhukov, several uniforms and medals (Zhukov, Koniev), and outside a battery of Soviet military weapons...?? The museum was still controlled and staffed by the Red Army when I was there in ?94; did they take the rest with them when they left?. If all is still in place, I can not strongly enough recommend a visit by anyone who follows this forum (Soviet & Eastern Block Militaria & Awards).

Thank you and best wishes,

Wild Card

Hi,

I visited the Museum Berlin-Karlhorst in mid 2003.

As said, the Museum focuses on the relationship between Germany and the Soviet union, in the villa where, on the night of 8 May 1945, the unconditional surrender of the German army was signed.

2 years ago, this Museum was very quiet, probably because it is quite far and uneasy to access from the center of Berlin. When I came there, we were exactly 4 visitors (including myself) in the whole Museum!!

What can be seen ? I mentioned the Great Hall in which the terms of surrender were signed, the office of Zhukov, several uniforms and medals (Zhukov, Koniev), and outside a battery of Soviet military weapons, including the famous ?Katjuscha?.

Yes. But... that's not all!!!!! I can reassure you!! All you have seen in 1994 is very certainly still there!!! Thre are hundreds (thousands ?) of historical items!!!

Again, I can only recommand this visit, because this place is really fascinating.

Just keep in mind that all comments and texts are in German and Russian only !! Even the guards don?t speak english?

For those interested in this Museum, here is its website address :

http://www.museum-karlshorst.de

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Soviet,

you where close but I think it is Klara Zetkin. She is a german women. She received in 1927 the Order of

Red Banner from Woronshilov (see added picture) and in 1933 she received the Lenin Order.

She died in 1933 and is buried in Moscow at the Kreml wall. She was a leading person of the german comunist party and a friend of Lenin. 1921 became CLARA ZETKIN president of the international worker

assistance and 1925 chairmen of the international red assistance.

best regards

Andreas

Andreas,

Bravo for the question and the info about Klara Zetkin. Very interesting to learn!! :jumping::jumping:

Bryan (Soviet),

Good try!! You were not so far... and you identified the face, thanks to your banknote :love: .

Who's turn is it now ?

Bryan ? Andreas again ? Any other Member ?

As you want...

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Sorry Christophe,

I couldn?t remeber/find it, where I have read it. Maybe it was on the mondvor side.

regards

Andreas

Andreas,

I checked the Mondvor site... and, except if I'm wrong, did not find anything about this theory...

:shame:

Maybe somewhere else ?

Cheers.

Ch.

Christophe,

Thank you for the updated status report on Karlshorst. From what you said, I will reiterate - any of you who are interested in Soviet should visit this museum at the next opportunity. Thank you again Christophe.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

OK, I'll post the next question. Let's start with an easy one (I hope :rolleyes: )...

1. Where is this statue of Lenin located ?

1a. City or town ?

1b. Name of the precise location ?

2. Why is there a statue of Lenin here ? Historical reason ?

3. This precise statue has been represented on the obverse of a medal. Which one ?

Good Luck!!

Cheers.

Ch.

OK, I'll post the next question. Let's start with an easy one (I hope :rolleyes: )...

1. Where is this statue of Lenin located ?

1a. City or town ?

3. This precise statue has been represented on the obverse of a medal. Which one ?

Good Luck!!

Cheers.

Ch.

1a Leningrad/St. Petersburg

ab Center Plaza?

2 1917 Revolution

3 250 years of Leningrad medal

How did I do?

Rusty,

Not bad actually, not bad... but not complete :P .

Answer 1a is correct : this statue is in St Petersburg (yesterday Leningrad).

Answer 1b is not correct.

I need here the precise name of the location, which is BTW better known by the name of the main building there... :rolleyes:

Answer 2 is uncomplete. The historical reason is linked to the building I mentioned.

Answer 3 is OK. The statue is represented on the obverse of the Soviet Medal for the 250 Years of Leningrad.

So, answers 1b and 2 are still to be answered...

Rusty, others, another try ?

Good luck!!

Ch.