News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

Hi Wild Card,

Very good try. :D

You're right, it is not the one outside the House of Soviet.

And it is not the one in Smolny.

Just a clue : it is not far from Smolny... :rolleyes:

To all, a last try ?

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great!!!

Wild Card, Congratulations!! You got it!!! :D:beer:

You're correct.

This Lenin statue is from the square outside the Finland Station in Leningrad (St Petersburg).

The square is still called today Square Lenina. It is the place where Lenin arrived in 1917, after 17 years of exile abroad. Here, in the square where the statue stands today, he delivered his legendary speech from the top of an armoured car.

The actual square is now in full refurbishment and the Municipality plans a nice garden, here. I have taken this photo in last July, when the work was in process.

Ch.

This is the armoured car from which Lenin held his speech at the Finland Station in 1917.

It used to stand in the square in front of the Marble Palace (The Lenin Museum used to be in the Palace), but the new authorities took it away from there and put up their own symbol, a statue of Alexander III. It is now in the Military Historical Museum of the Artillery.

Ch.

Pic : Peter Sobolev - www.enlight.ru

Edited by Christophe

This Lenin statue is the one depicted on the Soviet Medal for the 250 Years of Leningrad.

Established 16 May 1957, it ha been awarded to all citizens who participated in the restoration and reconstruction of the city and maintained Leningrad citizenship for no less than five years. Awarded also were Leningrad defenders who received the medal for the Defence of Leningrad, regardless of living place. This medal stopped being issued after 1 January 1978. Approximately 1,440,000 were issued.

Ch.

Pic : Art Bates - www.soviet-awards.com

Thank you Christophe.

This was good fun. My winning guess was really a guess as I was not sure if that statue was still there. You all might like to know that there is a virtually identical statue in Stalingrad = I just can?t acknowledge that new name. Anyway, I was going to post a picture of the Stalingrad statue for all to see; but I can?t seem to be able to peel it out of the album without damaging it.

Thanks again for a good challenge, Christophe.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

(...) You all might like to know that there is a virtually identical statue in Stalingrad = I just can?t acknowledge that new name. Anyway, I was going to post a picture of the Stalingrad statue for all to see; but I can?t seem to be able to peel it out of the album without damaging it.

Thanks again for a good challenge, Christophe.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Hi Wild Card,

Thanks. ;)

Here is a pic of the Stalingrad one, just to compare.

Cheers.

Ch.

Nice going Soviet, you are correct! Shame on me for the inadvertent hint; but I suspect that you would have gotten it anyway.

For the benefit of all, below is a more familiar picture of this memorial. You have to see this place to believe it; and if ever given the opportunity - take it.

Soviet, congratulations! The ball is in your court, try to avoid any unintentional hints.

Best to all,

Wild Card

Sorry I don't have much time on my hand to write a good question. So I'll just ask this.

1. Who is this man?

2. Tell which important cities did his forces captured and liberated during WWII?

Edited by Soviet