News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iron Cross 1813 group

Never having had in mind to lead my collecting interests away from enameled order decorations, I received this little group of medals with yesterday?s mail.

The possible recipient was a man named: ?Schmidt?, which is unfortunately all the grand daughter could tell me. She was kind enough to take a picture of her ancestor and email it to me.

You will see him wearing besides the Iron Cross the Russian St.George Cross, which unfortunately didn?t survive the last 192 years.

Yet the 1813/1814 combatant medal survived and seemed to have been worn on an interesting ribbon. Made in one weave, it represents the Iron Cross ribbon as well as the ribbon of the commemorative medal itself. His 1848/49 commemorative medal survived as well.

About the Iron Cross: the Iron core rattles and it looks like it was soldered on the top left frame tip, only. Besides, it is rather thick with about ~2.5 mm.

Andreas,

A super group, it is extremely rare for a grouping to have survived so long. To have a picture of the recipient wearing it is icing on the cake. Ed, I have seen yours before, but it is still a stunner. The condition is so much more than anyone can dream of, for being that old.

Dan Murphy

Having finally (FINALLY) brought this group home for detailed scanning, I may as well add it here. Andreas will recognise it.

Yes, I do. :unsure: this is the reason why I needed a new one. ;)

Let me know when I can have it back :blush:

Edited by medalnet

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...