News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Family grouping of strange coincidence

Paul R

My grandmother is moving into a retirement community because keeping the house was more than she is willing to tackle at this stage in life. Before signing it over to the "kids", she parted certain things out to family members who would most appreciate their hereditary "value".

As you all know, I am a corpsman in the military. I have been in this career for the past 18 years. When I opened the box of relics, I noticed the items contained within were the military artifacts of both my grandfather and great grandfather. I knew that they were both veterans of WW2(grandfather) and WW1(Great Grandfather). What I did not know is that they were both Combat medics!

My Great Grandfather was in WW1, with the Army Ambulance Corps and my Grandfather was a Pharmacist mate in the US Navy.

The purpose of this thread is to tell their stories, as narrated by the items received in that parcel...

I will start with my grandfather(as he has less stuff to post). He enlisted in the US Navy from New Orleans Naval Recruiting office in 1942 or early 1943. This is his initial uniform issue card.

• Replies 72
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At some point, soon after his enlistment and training, he crossed the equator and was "initiated". On the back, his rank is noted as a PhM3. Unfortunately, the date is 18June(must be 1943), without a year. He was assigned to the SS DELBRASIL.

The SS DELBRASIL was a transport/landing craft. This ship was later renamed the "USS George F Elliott", in 1943.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/22/22105.htm

On 01Sep1944, he reported to the LST456 and participated in the landings at Leyte. According to the link below and documents and newspaper clippings to follow, my grandfather saw some heavy battle. His travel order is in post #9.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/16/160456.htm

The battle lasted from 20 to 24 October 1944

This booklet was to aid in post war employment. After the war, he joined his father in running a chain of family owned funeral homes and investment advisor businesses and became very successful. He passed away suddenly when I was three years old(in 1974). There are times that I wish I could exchange sea stories with him... Perhaps in the future(but not too soon).

There are other odds and ends, including a letter from my grandmother to him. This letter was written before they were even married. I will refrain from posting the other stuff because of privacy and boredom factors.

I know that the bulk of this stuff is of little value in the collectors market, but they are VERY special to me. There is a dress uniform and an M1 Carbine that are heading my way. I will add them to the thread when they arrive.

My Grandfather was awarded with the following decorations:

Navy Commendation Ribbon(Became an award of the Navy on 01Nov1943 and did not become a medal until 22Mar1950)

Combat Action Ribbon

American Campaign Medal

Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal

WW2 Victory Medal

Philippines Liberation Medal

I will post my Great Grandfather's WW1 items within the next few days. There is a lot of stuff there.

Paul, You are to be congratulated for sharing Part I (to be continued) of your Father's, and Grandfather's military careers! How very proud you must be, even though your father was taken much too soon for you to have really known him, as your would have liked to do.

Fate and Destiny are strong forces, beyond our mortal control, which seem to show up at the strangest times in our lives. That you carry on a military tradition, which was totally unknown to you - is surely Fate and Destiny. That you were never informed of this by living relatives, is also Fate and Destiny.

I am 100% positive that both your Father and your Grandfather are very proud of you, as the man whom you have become, and the profession which you have chosen. All, due solely to Fate and Destiny. I'm looking very forward to reading Part II! ... Thank for sharing. Congratulations.... Dave/dblmed