News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Magnificient ribbon bar

bolgarin

A lovely group of medals, but I'm a little worried about the uneven wear of the various ribbons.

Also the ribbon bar seems a little crude...

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news and perhaps I'm wrong....

Maybe Paul might chime in....

Cheers

JC

A lovely group of medals, but I'm a little worried about the uneven wear of the various ribbons.

Also the ribbon bar seems a little crude...

Hi. What do you mean. On my opinion - absolutely normal and original ribbon bar. Also i cant show it right know (i have big remont works in my flat) but i have some documents for this medal group...... :cheers:

The undress ribbon bar is not waht you usually expect to see. These normally have a different type of reverse and the ribbons are pushed through and held in place with small metal tabs, not sewn on as here. Also it is unusual to see a bar with two pins and an appearance of having been welded together at some stage.

I would love to see the documents that you have since these are normally fascinating and tell the real story behind the group.

The photo appears to have been taken between 1920 and 1928 since he has the war medals but not the Showa Enthronement Medal.

As i understund the main quastion in this group is "everyday wear" ribbon bar (see pic)? No quastions to the main ribbon bar?

Sorry but documents will post only after some time - because i have some reparations in my flat and live know in anouther. But after it will be finished will post documents..... :cheers:

Hi. What do you mean. On my opinion - absolutely normal and original ribbon bar. Also i cant show it right know (i have big remont works in my flat) but i have some documents for this medal group...... :cheers:

Well, here is the thing.... It appears that two medals have ink on them... this happens, and it may be nothing but why doesn't the oldest medal have it also?

Anyway it's just a theory and anything is possible but it seems likely to me that the oldest would have it too.

I didn't know the man, perhaps he liked to play with his medals and one day he spilled ink on them and just managed to save the 1904-5 medal from getting hit.

Who knows....

JC

As i understund the main quastion in this group is "everyday wear" ribbon bar (see pic)? No quastions to the main ribbon bar?

Sorry but documents will post only after some time - because i have some reparations in my flat and live know in anouther. But after it will be finished will post documents..... :cheers:

I just had another look at this and it is definitely wrong. You have it reversed in the photo so you need to look at it upside down. If you do this you see that the Taisho Enthronement Medal ribbon is before the 1904-05 Medal. This is totally incorrect.

With regard to the full medal bar, I would also have concerns about the different levels of wear on the ribbons. Japanese dealers are terrible for mix-and-match, they get a set of documents and then add the appropriate medals to make the "set". I suspect this is what has happened here. The good news is that the orders do all appear to be from the Meiji era, which is correct. I have seen sets made up which were supposed to be Meiji but used Showa era orders.

I hope you will post the documents once the "remont" is finished at home.

Best regards,

Paul

I'm afraid this group look to be a case of someone finding documents and rebuilding the group to represent the proper entitlement. The ribbons do not share a similar wear patten throughout and the thing that really bothers me is that the Golden kite is missing alot of enamel yet its sandwiched in between a Sacred treasure and rising sun that appear to be in much nicer condition. Now i've seen a great deal of ww2 japanese bars and also afew post war bars and the war time bars usually had a flat strip not round pin for pinning them to the uniform. The post war however did more commonly have a mounting similar to yours (is that mounting bar also plated??). Sorry to bring bad news but i wouldn't buy it as period off these pics alone.

Chris

Guest Rick Research

ARE the 5 ribbons soldered together, or is it a 3 ribbon row and a 2 ribbon row?

I picked up this 1890s ribbon bar (for something like $2 and described as "French" if I remember correctly :rolleyes: ) some years back (old scan) and it too has sewn on ribbons with that lovely eternally untarnishing white metal (whatever alloy it was-- also seems to have been the same metal used in Germany in the 1880s)

I had a really nifty "tab back" 1930s Showa ribbon bar but traded it eons ago for a German one... got to get myself another nice WW2 era multi-row one, since that construction fascinates me.

Dear collegues, thank you very much for the opinions. Few additional words about this ribbon bar and some aspects that can proved (on my opinion) that this bar is original. I mean the Main ribbon bar.

1. All ribbons are in the same "very use" quality.?This shown that?it?can?be?wear?for?long?time.

2. All medals and orders have the standart tracks of wearing.

3. All orders is correct with there historik period time.

4. Golden Kite order have very characteristic feature - broken enameled. I take im my hands a couple of japanese groups with such order - and some of them have the sama damages......

5. Original long ribbon suspension......

6. Also if we will check foto of this man we can see even the same arrangement and positioning (i mean little differense?in?the levels of wear on the ribbon)

After the "remont finished" i will put some fotos of documents. But i dont have very much of them

I just had another look at this and it is definitely wrong. You have it reversed in the photo so you need to look at it upside down. If you do this you see that the Taisho Enthronement Medal ribbon is before the 1904-05 Medal. This is totally incorrect.

This is 2 small ribbona bars. So we can put them absolutely in right way..... :cheers:

bolgarin - That is a magnificent ribbon and medal bar, double plus good is the photo :cheers::cheers:

I thought that I had other Japanese ribbon bars scanned . . . cannot find the scans

The only scan I can find is this one . . . a vet bringback from Okinawa

Please forgive the early attempted watermark

Edited by David S

ARE the 5 ribbons soldered together, or is it a 3 ribbon row and a 2 ribbon row?

I picked up this 1890s ribbon bar (for something like $2 and described as "French" if I remember correctly :rolleyes: ) some years back (old scan) and it too has sewn on ribbons with that lovely eternally untarnishing white metal (whatever alloy it was-- also seems to have been the same metal used in Germany in the 1880s)

I had a really nifty "tab back" 1930s Showa ribbon bar but traded it eons ago for a German one... got to get myself another nice WW2 era multi-row one, since that construction fascinates me.

Hey!! I remember that bar! :jumping:

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

and new one....

09015655fd9103_l.jpg

I was happy to get one single ribbon too what's on the metal plate - ready to go to the ribbon bar. Nice example to have for studing them! :jumping: .

09015645695041_o.jpg

Next aim will be to get different plate-pin system examples as well to my international collection! :cheers:

• 2 months later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 8 months later...

I know I have brought this thread up from the depths, which I'm sure I will be doing here in the coming days/weeks.

I was wondering what the final conclusion is to this medal bar, Is it a messed with bar? impossible to say? or a good one?

Thanks guys

Eric