News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbia - Original Chetnik items

Yes you are right the main dagger fakes are from Leskovac in Serbia. One more thing about the St. George Ljotic breast badges. Yes there are popping up fakes also and hard recognizing them from the originals. The main thing is that many fakes got the same number on the back. Because they have probably made the mould from an original. Don't have the exact numbers that is fake.

I went through some photos and stumbled upon these two.Same badge "before and after" photo or two examples with same number? Take a look at the details of the cross, same flaws..

I've seen just couple of these badges and others with lower numbers had the numbers stamped on different part of the badge and they were without zero on the first place.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2014/post-7937-0-21935300-1419453985.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2014/post-7937-0-90581300-1419453981.jpg

PS I apologize for using photos of items that are not mine, but some of these are really hard to get and not that cheap, I hope no one will mind...

Edited by paja

Do somebody knows from which units these badges are ?

The right is SDS "Srpska Drzavna Straza" Serbian State Guard the left is SGS "Srpska Granicna Straza" Serbian border guard. In the middle it´s a chetnik higher officer breastbadge.

Regarding those badges this might be helpful, unfortunately I haven't got a clue from which book are they, photo found on some forum.

Translation:

Official badges of the Serbian State Guard (Српска Државна Стража СДС - SDS) 1942-1944

1. Badge for lower ranks of SDS

2. Official badge of officers of SDS

3. Official badge of soldiers of Serbian Boarder Guard (Српска Гранична Стража СГС - SGS)

4. Official badge of members of Serbian State Security (Српска Државна Безбедност СДБ - SDB)

5. Official badge of officers of SGS

Do somebody knows from which units these badges are ?

The right is SDS "Srpska Drzavna Straza" Serbian State Guard the left is SGS "Srpska Granicna Straza" Serbian border guard. In the middle it´s a chetnik higher officer breastbadge.

Actually if you take a look they both (left and the right one) seem to be badges of SDS :)

Aye,

Indeed both are from NEDIC administration Serbian State Guard, because the badge for Officers of Serbian Border Guard had an Edelweiss at the bottom, but they are similar.

All three badges of Serbman's photo are 100% genuine, especially the Chetnik badge in the middle is ULTRA rare.

If they are yours,can you give us a clue of purchase source, or if is from a friend,where they are located? You don't have to mention names...

Edited by Emanuel

What do you think about this one?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2014/post-7937-0-14872000-1419515301.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2014/post-7937-0-30594700-1419515315.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2014/post-7937-0-27070300-1419515325.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2014/post-7937-0-42525600-1419515335.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2014/post-7937-0-17617400-1419515340.jpg

Seller's description:

"WWII-SERBIA: Memorial nail for the dedication of the Chetnik flag in 1941.

The badge is made of gold-plated Brass forging high pressure (pressing punching).
    Application skull with bones made of matt silver-plated metal. On the back is printed stamp manufacturers, manufaktutre "KOVNICA AD BELGRADE".
    and is welded to the nail with which the badge scored (attached) for wooden spear flag.
    The badge is well maintained has original patina, is not purified.
    Dimensions: 51.5 x 34,5mm"

What I wish to advice you and focus in, is to have good literature, books knowdays do miracles and learn a lot from them, reference books are not so expensive, ONE expensive badge to buy and found out that is a copy, is enough spending,instead to have the reference material to study.

I completely forgot to ask you which books do you recommend? The only one I know that deals with this matter specifically is "Badges of the Yugoslav Army in the Homeland" by Branko Jevtić (Ознаке Југословенске војске у отаџбини - Бранко Јевтић).

As you said it's really not expensive but from what I've read about it it's unfortunately far from perfect reference material.

Edited by paja

In my opinion the Chetnik badge is Original, of course if I could have it in my hand for better inspection ,weight and all, I would be 100% sure.

But doesn't look that this one is a Copy.

PII of course one of the rarest Chetnik items, variation for Bosnian Chetniks to own a badge with Latinic and not Cyrilic letter.

Books for me of course is OZNAKE one of the best and from recently the "Military insignia in Serbia 1845-1945" reference book, both have some nice pieces to examine.

Just the book from Babac, doesn't mention much the Chetnik badges from between wars and of course the ones like the above, issued during and after the war,I do not know the reason why.

Both books are warmly recommended....

For now the best about chetnik badges is the "Ознаке Југословенске војске у отаџбини - Бранко Јевтић" then you got the pretty new book by Dusan Babac "Vojne oznake u Srbiji 1845-1945" but Dusans book is more about regular Kingdom of Serbia and Kingdom of Yugoslavia badges. The chetnik badges are more irregular if you compare :).

For now the best about chetnik badges is the "Ознаке Југословенске војске у отаџбини - Бранко Јевтић" then you got the pretty new book by Dusan Babac "Vojne oznake u Srbiji 1845-1945" but Dusans book is more about regular Kingdom of Serbia and Kingdom of Yugoslavia badges. The chetnik badges are more irregular if you compare :).

Seems we post the same things at the same time? Hehehe

How about that placement of number? Was it always on let's say "northeastern" part of the back side or not? I feel that I wasn't very clear about the zero thing, on 4 figure numbers there was no zero in front of it (example 1000 not 01000) on 3 figure numbers there was (example 0100 not 100). What I haven't seen before was 4 figure numbers with zero first like on this particular example (04608 or 04609 not sure) but then again all other numbers I saw before were much smaller...

For the Serbian "Ljotic" Saint George badge, there are two variations.

One is with Pin and catch and numbers location on the left middle side ( like with the badges on the photos from the previous page) and the other variation is with Nuts, two of them, Up and down of the badge.

Now about the numbering, seems the series made with pin and catch was larger in number and they have indeed zero in front, I have seen original with 0******

The ones with nuts attaching device, are with low numbers ( three mostly ) and no zero in front and you can find them on the right side of the upper Nut.

The two badges that Paja brought pictures are indeed copies, the numbers are similar like those, but they didn't do so good job ;)

( The original pieces have "jumby" numbers- by that I mean not always in a straight line - and these numbers are not the same visually as the original ones).

I am sorry that I do not have pictures to provide, I do not posses a Ljotic Saint George badge.....

Edited by Emanuel