News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hawaii - medals

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Can someone tell me which class of this Order is that represented by the cross of this Order that is shown in the photos I have attached below ?

Given the lack of the (Hawaiian) crown suspension and the lack of the 4 crowns between the arms of the cross, I assume that it can be the “”Medal of Honor, 1st (silver) “” (see : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Order_of_Kapiolani )of the Order of Kapiolani :  Am I right ?

How much is it rare ?

How much it can cost ?

Any help is greatly appreciated

All the best

Lilo

1.JPG

2.jpg

I would imagine not cheap, not the same but this Hawaii Order of Kamehameha I Grand Cross Star of French manufacture, in silver with gilt and enamelled center, 85 mm is for sale on a US dealers website at the moment, maybe for some sort of comparison, for 25,000USD

o2878.jpg

Edited by Alex K

Hi Alex,

many thanks for your answer !

May I ask you to post the link of this dealer and if not possiblin the open forum, can you send me by PM the link to this US dealer ?

Awaiting to hear from you

ATB

Lilo

That's a bit of a real difference from the asking price:wacky:, Lilo, just seen your post and was about to pm you the link, seems pointless now, however if you still need it, let me know

regards

Alex

• 1 month later...

Well recently looking online when I ran into this little beauty. 

5032696_1_l.jpg

5032696_2_l.jpg

The description with it on liveauctioneers labeled it the Kingdom of Hawai'i destinguished service award, though I cant seem to find anything else on it anywhere though the ribbon design seems quite similar with that of what other sites label as the "Holo Hana Cross", along with a photo of King Kalakaua wearing a similar medal as the last of eight along with what also appears to be the around the world commemorative medal on the number three spot. 

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

Kalakaua_medals.jpg

Aloha Kakou.

- Kekoa

17 hours ago, Kekoa Dettloff said:

Well recently looking online when I ran into this little beauty. 

5032696_1_l.jpg

5032696_2_l.jpg

The description with it on liveauctioneers labeled it the Kingdom of Hawai'i destinguished service award, though I cant seem to find anything else on it anywhere though the ribbon design seems quite similar with that of what other sites label as the "Holo Hana Cross", along with a photo of King Kalakaua wearing a similar medal as the last of eight along with what also appears to be the around the world commemorative medal on the number three spot. 

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

Kalakaua_medals.jpg

Aloha Kakou.

- Kekoa

That's very interesting. 

I am actually more interested in the picture of the King and his medal bar! There seem to be several decorations that are not easily unidentifiable, and could be other Hawaiian decorations hitherto not mentioned in texts I have seen. The first on his medal bar looks to be his badge of the Order of Carlos III of Spain (received 1881), number 2 looks like either the North Star of Sweden (received 1884) or Vasa of Sweden (received 1881), and number 7 appears to be the Dannebrog of Denmark (received 1880). Number 5 with a "continental" crown may be another one of the many foreign orders he received. However, numbers 3, 4, 6, and 8 may be Hawaiian. Number 6 also looks very much like your "Holo Hana Cross" but the ribbon is clearly different.

Whether number 6 is actually the same as the "Holo Hana Cross" mentioned elsewhere is open to a little doubt, because the description I have seen mentions a "fire chief trumpet" and a ribbon of 2 red and 2 yellow stripes. 

Number 4 may well be the so-called "Coat of Arms" medal. This is mentioned by Adrienne Lois Kaeppler in Bernice P. Bishop Museum Special Publication, Volumes 65-67, Bishop Museum Press, 1978, p 210. Also mentioned in Roger G. Rose, Hawaiʻi, the Royal Isles, Bishop Museum Press, 1980, pp 145 and 210. Both are available in snippet view on google books, but I cannot view the images so cannot verify if they are the same. 

Would be very useful to find a larger and clearer version of the King's picture.

Edited by James Hoard
    misspelled word.

4 hours ago, James Hoard said:

That's very interesting. 

I am actually more interested in the picture of the King and his medal bar! There seem to be several decorations that are not easily unidentifiable, and could be other Hawaiian decorations hitherto not mentioned in texts I have seen. The first on his medal bar looks to be his badge of the Order of Carlos III of Spain (received 1881), number 2 looks like either the North Star of Sweden (received 1884) or Vasa of Sweden (received 1881), and number 7 appears to be the Dannebrog of Denmark (received 1880). Number 5 with a "continental" crown may be another one of the many foreign orders he received. However, numbers 3, 4, 6, and 8 may be Hawaiian. Number 6 also looks very much like your "Holo Hana Cross" but the ribbon is clearly different.

Whether number 6 is actually the same as the "Holo Hana Cross" mentioned elsewhere is open to a little doubt, because the description I have seen mentions a "fire chief trumpet" and a ribbon of 2 red and 2 yellow stripes. 

Number 4 may well be the so-called "Coat of Arms" medal. This is mentioned by Adrienne Lois Kaeppler in Bernice P. Bishop Museum Special Publication, Volumes 65-67, Bishop Museum Press, 1978, p 210. Also mentioned in Roger G. Rose, Hawaiʻi, the Royal Isles, Bishop Museum Press, 1980, pp 145 and 210. Both are available in snippet view on google books, but I cannot view the images so cannot verify if they are the same. 

Would be very useful to find a larger and clearer version of the King's picture.

Well, seeing the designs of crown on numbers 4 and 5, I am somewhat doubtful as to them being Hawaiian in origin, though I wouldn't write them off entirely from that possibility. 

I was able to see what may be medal number three in the Iolani Palace collection labeled as The Round the World Medal

to commemorating King Kalakaua's 1881 journey around the world.

world medal.jpg

That's it - the World Tour Medal: "Maltese cross made of stainless steel, with central medallion made as revolving terrestrial globe of ceramics with marking of the around-the-world Royal Tour 1881. The cross is surmounted with a steel riband knotted and engraved 1874-1881."

Number 5 is definitely not Hawaiian, the crown is continental European.

Your medal is the actual so-called Coat of Arms Medal: "Size is 55 mm, gold and brass, in the shape of a sanded Maltese cross with polished edges. Central medallion is circular and charged in obverse with Hawaiian Greater Coat of Arms." 

Please see Dragomir's post on the previous page.

Cheers.

• 3 months later...