News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

UN Medals awarded for the KOREAN WAR and my collection

demir

Dear Gentlemen,

I would like to share with you my UN Korean war medals. I have all of the shown Languages except the Spanish and Filipino versions speechless.gif awarded.

I also would like to give some short information about the UN medal and the war:

Summary:

Under the UN command, 39.000 troops served from Australia, Belgium, Canada, Colombia, Ethiopia, France, Greece, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Philippines, South Korea, Thailand, TURKEY, Union of South Africa, United Kingdom and the United States. Denmark and Italy provided medical support only.

---------------------------------------

UNITED NATIONS SERVICE MEDAL for KOREAN WAR

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Service_Medal )

The United Nations Service Medal for Korea is an international military decoration which was established by the United Nations on December 12, 1950. The decoration was the first international award ever created and recognized the multi-national defense forces which participated in the Korean War.

The United Nations Service Medal is awarded to any military service member, of an Armed Force allied with South Korea, who participated in the defense of Korea from North Korean aggression between the dates of June 27, 1950 and July 27, 1954.

The ultimate award authority of the United Nations Service Medal is United Nations Commander-in-Chief of military forces in Korea. Most countries consider the United Nations Service Medal an automatic decoration, if some other Korean service award was bestowed, and generally award the medal without requesting permission through United Nations channels. For instance, in the United States Armed Forces, any service member awarded the Korean Service Medal is automatically granted the United Nations Service Medal.

On November 22, 1961, the United Nations officially changed the name of the United Nations Service Medal to the UNITED NATIONS SERVICE MEDAL KOREA. This was as a prelude to the creation of a large number of subsequent United Nations Medals which are granted for various operations around the world.

Some countries, the United States among them, continue to refer to the decoration as the United Nations Service Medal in an effort to maintain consistency with older military files referring to the decoration by its original name.

Description

• The UN Korea Medal is a circular medal of bronze alloy. The obverse depicts the 'World-in-a Wreath' emblem of the United Nations.
    • The reverse has the inscription: 'FOR SERVICE IN DEFENCE OF THE PRINCIPLES OF THE CHARTER OF THE UNITED NATIONS'. The wording shown may be in English, French, Spanish, Danish (I didn't see one) , Filipino (or was it English for the Philippines) speechless.gif , Greek, Italian (I didn't see one), Dutch, Swedish, Sanskrit (I think this is mistake instead Aramhic for Ethiopia) or Turkish ,
    • The ribbon has alternating stripes of UN blue and white.
    • A clasp with the inscription 'KOREA' is worn on the medal ribbon.

Now the pictures:(following this message)

first the box: Box is blue and the language of the medal is shown in the front right side. Left front side: UN emblem - in the middle: UN blue and white stripes like the ribbon

Thank you all

Demir ERMAN

Edited by Nick

THE KOREAN WAR AND TURKISH TROOPS

The war started between South and North Korea in June 1950.

Under the UN command, 39.000 troops served from Australia, Belgium, Canada, Colombia, Ethiopia, France, Greece, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Philippines, South Korea, Thailand, TURKEY, Union of South Africa, United Kingdom and the United States. Denmark and Italy provided medical support only.

Turkish soldiers arrived South KOREA in 17 October 1950. They stayed in Korea until the end of the war (1954). Turkish troops saved American 8th Army from a big disaster and massacre.

There were 5000 Turkish soldiers any time under the 5th Brigade. 717 Turkish soldiers KIA, 2246 soldiers wounded, 167 MIA for the freedom of Korea.

The tinnie in memory of the 5th Brigade is shown below with the Turkish United Nations Korean war Service Medal

Thanks

Demir ERMAN

The Korean War Service Medal (or Republic of Korea War Service Medal (ROKWSM)) is a decoration of South Korea which was first authorized in December 1950. Originally known as the Incident Participation Medal the medal was first authorized to South Korean troops who had participated in the initial counter-assaults against North Korean aggression in June 1950.

In 1951, President Syngman Rhee ordered that the Incident Participation Medal be renamed as the War Service Medal and further authorized the decoration to any troops who were defending South Korea against invasion. In 1954, the South Korean government authorized the now called Korean War Service Medal to all United Nations troops who had fought in the Korean War between the dates of June 25, 1950 to July 27, 1953.

Thank you all Gentlemen, for all your kind attention.

Best wishes

Demir ERMAN :rolleyes:

demir:

Did Turkish troops wear this medal?

British and American troops (until recently) were not allowed to wear this medal on their uniforms.

I always thought that was odd, because the similar Vietnamese medal was authorized for wear in 1965 I think.

demir:

Did Turkish troops wear this medal?

British and American troops (until recently) were not allowed to wear this medal on their uniforms.

I always thought that was odd, because the similar Vietnamese medal was authorized for wear in 1965 I think.

Hi,

I don't know. I will try to learn.

Thanks

Demir

The Hindi medal (the UN thought it was to be Sanskrit -- what a sad joke) was, apparently, struck in a few specimens, but never awarded. Issues of Government of India policy and their embarassment over their involvement in Korea (before the NNRC phase) precluded this issue. Moves are now underway to get policy changed, the medal struck, and the medal given out to the (very few) surviving veterans.

Hi Demir

A very interesting collection and a valuable record to add to my Korean War file.

Men of 2 Squadron, SAAF, the only South African participants in the War, were allowed to accept and wear the Korean Korea Medal from early on, but I am not sure of the date. The medals came with numbered certificates, of which I have two examples.

Regards

Brett

• 3 months later...

Hello Demir,

what a nice collection. I would like to get one of these, if availble.

I prefer the english wording.

Do you have one for trading.

I can serve you with the actuell UN Missions.

Thanks for your answer.

Very nice collection Demir,

I have already shown this group before but it fits right in here. A group awarded to a (surgical) dentist who served aboard the Danish hospital ship Jutlandia during the Korean war.

The Danish personnel received the English version of the UN medal (and were permitted to wear it).

You can also see the Korean Presidential Citation ribbon on his ribbon bar.

P.S: Are you sure there is a version of the UN medal with Swedish text?

/Mike

The official UN site -- http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/medals/ -- says "The wording shown may be in English, French, Spanish, Danish, Greek, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Sanskrit or Turkish." This seems to be more a statement of the original intent than a reflection of what actually happened. For example, the medal in Hindi (what the site calls Sanskrit) was never issued, as Indian troops were not allowed to receive it; likewise, the medal in Amharic isn't mentioned.

Someone needs to get into the UN records on this one. But, then, they may not have known what the various individual States did or didn't do.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Hello Demir,

what a nice collection. I would like to get one of these, if availble.

I prefer the english wording.

Do you have one for trading.

I can serve you with the actuell UN Missions.

Thanks for your answer.

Hello Elvis,

Yes I have, but if you are a member of ebay there are some on sale now. These are original issues:

UN United Nations Service Medal 1953 Korea NR (310122134575)

United Nations Korean War Service Medal NR (400031694170)

ORIG UN Korea Service Medal Campaign Medals Korean War (120379570268)

check these, if you can not succeed I will be glad to send you one.

Beware of the new ones like this one shown below, the difference is easy to see.

Best wsihes

demir

Edited by demir

Hello Great Dane,

The Swedish government authorized the dispatch of a 200-bed mobile field hospital. During the war a total of 1,124 Swedish men and women served at the hospital in Pusan.

They might have received the English version of the medal like the Danish as you mentioned.

The Korean War Page gives the countries involved in the War as:

(http://www.korean-war.com)

Australian casualties numbered more than 1,500, of whom 339 were killed

Belgium?s Korea Volunteer Corps (Corps Volontaires Corea) was comprised of 900 Infantry troops. Casualties 97 KIA 355 WIA

Canada; Altogether 26,791 Canadians served in the Korean war and another 7,000 served in the theatre between the cease-fire and the end of 1955. WIA 1,558. KIA 516

Colombia ; Casualties 146 KIA 69 MIA 448 WIA

Ethiopia furnished three 1,200-man battalions to the UN Command, beginning in June 1951 but only one battalion at a time. Casualties 122 KIA 566 WIA

France; During this period 3,421 French soldiers were involved in Korea. Of these, 287 were killed in action; 1,350 wounded in action; 7 missing in action; and 12 became prisoners of war.

Greece; 840 infantrymen of the Royal Hellenic Battalion arrived in Korea.

Casualties 194 KIA 459 WIA

Luxembourg sent a 44-man volunteer infantry platoon to Korea.

Casualties 7 KIA 21 WIA

The Netherlands 3.972 men served in Korea. 2.980 of those participated in the actual war. A total of 1360 men of the navy served in the Korean waters.

Casualties 116 KIA 381 WIA

New Zealand : a total of 1044 men were selected from among volunteers.

Casualties 31 KIA 78 WIA

The Philippines; throughout the war it contributed five 1,500-man Battalion Combat Teams.

Casualties 92 KIA 356 WIA

South Africa; 49 officers and 157 other ranks of 2 Sqn, all volunteers, left for Johnson Base in Tokyo prior to their deployment in Korea. During the Korean conflict the squadron flew a grand total of 12 067 sorties for a loss of 34 pilots and two other ranks .

Casualties 20 KIA 16 WIA

South Korea Casualties Killed in Action/Death: 137,899 Wounded in Action: 450,742 Missing in Action: 24,495 Prisoners of War (those returned from North Korea) 8,343 Total: 621,479 NOTE: These figure did not include the losses suffered by South Korean para-militia and police units

Thailand ; contributed the 2,100-man. Casualties 136 KIA 469 WIA

Turkey;

The advance party of the Turkish Brigade or Turkish Armed Forces command, arrived in Pusan on 12 October 1950. The main body numbering 5190 troops arrived five days later, on 17 October. Brigadier General Tahzin Yazici commanded the brigade. Colonel Celal Dora was assistant Brigade Commander.

Casualties 721 KIA 168 MIA 2111 WIA

United Kingdom;

• 27th British Infantry Brigade (Aug 50-Oct 50, redesignated below)
    • 27th Commonwealth Infantry Brigade (Oct 50-Apr 51, HQreplaced by below)
    • 28th Commonwealth Infantry Brigade (Apr 51)
    • 29th British Infantry Brigade Group (Sep 50)
    Casualties 1078 KIA 2692 WIA

USA;

33,741 US Dead, 23,615 Killed In Action,92,134 US Wounded** ,4,820 US Missing In Action (Declared Dead),7,245 Prisoners Of War,2,847 Died in POW Camp,389 POWs known to have been alive after all U.S. POWs supposedly returned. (**Lightly wounded who were treated and released back to duty are not included in these figures.)

MEDICAL HELP

Danemark; hospital ship "Jutlandia"

India; a mobile army surgical hospital

Italy sent its Itallian Red Cross Hospital 68.

Norway; It had a hospital staff of 59 and administrative staff of 47.

Sweden;

The Swedish government authorized the dispatch of a 200-bed mobile field hospital. During the war a total of 1,124 Swedish men and women served at the hospital in Pusan.

Edited by demir

• 1 year later...

Gentlemen,

As you know according to the UN official web site :

"The Korean Operation was established between the period 1950 to 1954. The ribbon bears alternate narrow stripes of white and blue, the colours of the UN. Personnel were eligible to receive the medal after a period of 30 days service in the Mission.

The following countries provided troops to this Mission: Australia, Belgium, Canada, Columbia (COLOMBIA), Denmark, Ethiopia, France, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, the Kingdom of the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, the Philippines, South Africa, Sweden, Thailand, Turkey, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America." (India and South Korea Missing)

Some countries did get English version medals others their own languages. Taking this into consideration, is this a correct list:

AMHARIC : Ethiopia, DUTCH : Netherlands, (Belgium ? Maybe both Dutch and French) ENGLISH : Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Union of South Africa, United Kingdom, the United States, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, the Philippines, FRENCH : France, Belgium, Luxembourg, GREEK : Greece, ITALIAN : Italy, SANSKRIT: India, KOREAN : Korea, SPANISH : Colombia, THAI :Thailand, TURKISH : Turkey

Thanks for your help

:love:

Demir Erman

Edited by demir

Thanks to JBFloyd and Peter Monohan's threads and the web page http://www.korean-wa...com/index.shtml
    created by J.P.Willsher, participants, language and the amount of the UN Korean War medals issued are :

KOREAN WAR PARTICIPANTS

1 Australian, 2 Belgium, 3 Canada, 4 Colombia, 5 Ethiopia, 6 France, 7 Greece, 8 Luxembourg, 9 The Netherlands, 10 New Zealand, 11 The Philippines, 12 SouthAfrica, 13 South Korea, 14 Thailand, 15 Turkey, 16 UnitedKingdom, 17 USA

MEDICAL HELP

18 Denmark; hospital ship "Jutlandia"

19 India; a mobile army surgical hospital

20 Italy sent its Itallian Red Cross Hospital 68.

21 Norway; It had a hospital staff of 59 and administrative staff of 47.

22 Sweden; The Swedish government authorized the dispatch of a 200-bed mobile field

hospital.

The UN Korean War Medals are issued in these languages and amounts:

AMHARIC, DUTCH, ENGLISH, FRENCH, GREEK, ITALIAN, KOREAN, SPANISH, THAI and TURKISH

1 AMHARIC : Ethiopia 5,650 Issued

2 DUTCH : Netherlands 5,795 issued.

3 ENGLISH : Australia, Canada, Denmark, India, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Sweden, South Africa, United Kingdom, United States of America (First issue reverse letters: 2.1mm high letters on five lines and Second issue in 2.5mm high letters on five lines. ) 2,761,732 issued.

4 FRENCH : France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Canada (French Speaking) 16,851 issued.

5 GREEK : Greece 9,000 issued.

6 ITALIAN : Italy 131 issued.

7 KOREAN : Korea 1,222,000 issued.

8 SPANISH : Colombia 1,300 issued.

9 THAI : Thailand 10,648 issued.

10 TURKISH : Turkey 33,696 issued.

Edited by demir

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Here is the translation and picture of the document and the medal of the UN Korea Medal given to the Turkish troops, in this case Senior Captain Artillery Pilot Abdürrezak Otaran:

Corps/detachment: United Nations Korea Turkish Armed Forces, Artillery Battalion, Pilot Officer

Name Surname: Abdürrezak Otaran

The officer whose identity is given above has served in Korea under the command of the United Nations from 3 July 1954 until 15 July 1955

and has been given (Korea Duty) rosette with the approval of the United Nations Supreme Command Headquarters.

United Nations Korea Turkish Armed Forces Commander

General Staff Colonel

Hilmi Giray

Seal of the UN Turkish Forces

Signature

• 10 months later...

Sorry to necropost, but I'd just clarify that the Belgian contingent was awarded ONLY the French language Corée version regardless of their origine.

The unofficial V-shaped ribbon version is, as far as I know, also only French (but with the bilingual Corée-Korea bar).

BP

• 2 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Hi,

These are the new additions to my Korean War Turkish Brigade Collection:

Japanese made patch for the Turkish Brigade.

The patch measures 7.3 cm (2 7/8") in diameter and was done in gold bullion thread on red wool.

The backing material is a coarse green material.