News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Jewish Brigade

A repost of Matt R's query re. insignia of the Jewish Brigade, as his original thread converted to discussion of a specific Jewish Brigade / Jewish Chaplains badge:

Post #1 |

Group: Probationary Membership

Member No.: 4,841

Hello,

I would like to add some items to my WW2 collection and I was considering a small cameo of Jewish Brigade insignias. Problem is that I couldn't find period pics to have a clear idea of their patches and hat insignia.

I've seen often some cap badges offered as jewish brigade but they look very similar to those worn by jewish chaplains in the british army. It would be really appreciated if some of you would share his collection here and teach me something new

regards Matt

Not something that I know a lot about.

Buywize advertise this badge fo sale at the moment - I have'nt filched their photo of it as they specify "all rights reserved"

Jewish Brigade Group rare WW2 formation sign.

Silk embroidered yellow Star of David set on light blue / white / light blue rectangle.Superb condition.

Formed in Palestine. Served in Italy and NW Europe

Code: 1014406Price: ?350.00

http://www.buywyze.com/shop/shop.php

From the "Historama" site: http://www.historama.com/onlinepricelist/i...d_insignia.html

Israel - shoulder patch of the Jewish Brigade Group of the British Army, in the Second World War, 1944-45. The Jewish Brigade's origins lie in the movement of Palestinian-Jewish volunteers who joined the British Army with the outbreak of the war. The volunteers initially enlisted in the 'East Kent Regiment' (the 'Buffs') in 1940, and fought in Greece. In August 1942, the British raised 3 battalions of Palestinian-Jewish volunteers who formed the 'Palestine Regiment' (whose hat-badge earned them the nickname 'Five Piastre Regiment' - owing to its similarity to the Palestinian coin) which fought in Egypt and north Libya. After much hesistation, the British government agreed to the formation of a larger Jewish unit of 5,000 men, which in September 1944 was established as the Jewish Brigade Group. This formation fought in northern Italy from March to May, 1945; after the war it was based neard the border between Italy, Austria and Yugoslavia, where its members played a key role in the clandestine immigration of Jewish refugees to Palestine. In July, the brigade was transferred to Belgium and then to the Netherlands, and in the summer of 1946 it was disbanded. The wartime combat experience accumulated by its men proved invaluable during Israel's war of independence two years later. The insignia of the Brigade consisted of this shoulder flash (bearing three Hebrew letters in the form of an abbreviation, which can either be read as the word "Khayal" - 'Soldier', or as the abbreviation for "Kheyl" - meaning 'Force', 'Corps' or 'Army'), together with a square blue-and-white patch bearing a golden Star of David.

• 5 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Hello Igor,

The picture I posted was up for auction and estimated 4-5 grand. It was a suitcase full of stuff. I didn't follow it so I don't know the hammer price. Tomorrow I'll post another picture and thie description from the auction catalog.

Edited by Bear

• 6 years later...

Moninaka

Here are two book titles which may be of use.  I believe that the first one is still available through Harper Collins.  I remember it's being published because of the publicity at the time around stories of the JB members who went up into Austria at the end of the war to kidnap Nazi officials.

The Brigade, Howard BlumHardscrabble Entertainment, Inc.  2002

Beckham, Morris (1999). The Jewish Brigade: An Army With Two Masters, 1944-45. Sarpedon Publishers. ISBN 1-885119-56-9.

For personal information on your grandfather perhaps one of our UK members can be of more help but having a direct family connection should, I think, allow you access to his records.  here in canada only family members can get the detailed records and I think but am not sure that the same may be true there.  Hope this is some small help.

Peter