News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An Incomplete Tale of Two Osianders

In trying to reconcile information from various sources, I have a minor mystery that hopefully some with more and better resources (especially ones with names like Rick and Glenn J) can possibly clear up.

The website pourlemerite.org's list of plM recipients is full of typos. In looking through the list. I noted one name:

Maj. Wilhelm Oslander awarded on - 6 Nov. 1918
    This name probably should be Osiander, as Oslander is not a German name, but there are three Osianders in the Ehren-Rangliste des Heeres.

The Baden MKFVO list includes a Wilhelm Osiander, who received his MKFVO as a Major on 24 March 1917. However, Daniel's list of his other awards includes wartime and post-war awards, but not the plM: EK, HOH3X, DA25, China, Centenar, BZ3bXmE, BZ3bmE, BadJubi 1903, SA3aX, FEK, HSH3b, Schles.Adler.

This Osiander was a field artillery officer, the commander of FAR 15, and after the war apparently led the Freiw.Feldartillerie-Rgt. Osiander in the so-called "Division von Lettow des Garde-Kavallerie-Sch?tzen-Korps" of the Freikorps.

There was one other Osiander, also a Badener, who was a Major in 1918 who might have been the plM recipient. He was a transport officer, so normally you wouldn't expect him to be the one with the decorations, but having served in German South-West Africa in 1905-07, he already had pre-war the KO4X and BZ3bX.

My instinct is that it is the former, the field artillery officer, who is the plM recipient. Can anyone confirm and/or provide any additional details?

Guest Rick Research

The FAR 15 Osiander it had to be--

he made Major 25.11.16 H3h while the Kraftfahr Osiander was still Hauptmann 1.10.13 D55d on 1 January 1919.

Wilhelm, Battery Commander FAR 15 is show with the BZ3bmEX 12.6.15

erroneously listed as "Heinrich", Battalion Commander of FAR 15 for BV3 24.3.17

SA3aX 25.1.16 Wilhelm, Hptm FAR15

I can't confirm the invisible Baden 1902 Jubilee Medal.

There were indeed no others, so FAR 15 Wilhelm it was with the PLM.

:beer:

Just to confirm, it was indeed Major Wilhelm Osiander of Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 15 who received the PLM on 6 Nov 1918. He was awarded the decoration for the defensive battles in the Champagne in the late summer/autumn of 1918. Promoted char. Oberstleutnant on 31.12.20.

Born 26 June 1875 in Rastatt, he died on 20 March 1936 in Stettin.

Regards

Glenn