News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Three-Sovereign Groups

78 Jemadar Abdur Rahman Khan, Jeypore Imperial Service Transport Corps

1- Delhi Durbar 1903, silver - unnamed

Shown in the roll for the Delhi Durbar 1903 medal (p. 90) as "Abdul Rahman Khan, Duffadar - Jaipur Imperial Service Transport Corps". The silver medal was awarded some 2567 times.

2- Delhi Durbar 1911, silver - unnamed

Shown in the ISF roll for the Delhi Durbar 1911 medal (p. 161) as "78 Jemadar Abdur Rahman Khan", Jaipur Imperial Service Transport Corps. The silver medal was awarded some 30,000 times.

3- India Medal, 1895-1902, Victoria - RELIEF OF CHITRAL 1895, PUNJAB FRONTIER 1897-98, SAMANA 1897, TIRAH 1897-98 - 78 Jamdr. Abdur Rahman Khan. Jeypore I.S.T. Corps

This was the unit's first imperial service.

Does the Khedive of Egypt count?

1646 Sowar Jamal Khan, 1st Bombay Lancers

1- Queen's Sudan Medal, 1896-98 - Sowar Jamal Khan, 1st Bombay Lancers

Gaylor: "Their third spell of [operational] service abroad was a brief stay at Suakin on the Red Sea in 1896 when, as the 1st Bombay Lancers -- in consequence of the issue of the lance -- they formed part of a mixed cavalry brigade sent out from India." Service in Brigadier-General Egerton's force at Suakin, 30 March 1896 to 23 September 1896.

2- China War Medal 1900 - Sowar Jamal Khan, 1st Bombay Lancers

They were not regimentally present in China but small detachments were sent to reinforce other units.

3- Africa General Service Medal, 1902-1956, Edward VII issue - SOMALILAND 1902-04 - Sowar Jamal Khan, 1st Bombay Lancers

They were not regimentally present in Somaliland but small detachments were sent to reinforce other units.

4- Egypt: Khedive's Sudan Medal, 1896-1908 - Sowar Jamal Khan, 1st Bombay Lancers

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Subadar Rur Singh, 32nd Sikh Pioneers

1- Indian Distinguished Service Medal, Edward VII - Subdr Rur Singh 32d Sikh Pioneers

2- India General Service Medal, 1854 - HAZARA 1891, SIKKIM 1888 - 2396 Sepoy Rur Singh 32d Bl Infy

3- India Medal 1895 - WAZIRISTAN 1901-2, RELIEF OF CHITRAL 1895 - 2396 Havdr Rur Singh 32nd Bl Infy

4- Tibet Medal - GYANTSE - Subdr Rur Singh 32nd Sikh Pioneers

5- India General Service Medal, 1908 - George V, 1st variety - ABOR 1911 - Subadar Rur Singh 32nd Sikh Pioneers

Not only three sovereigns, but a 40-year span of history:

Victoria on the QSA, named to Corporal E.W. Tabb, 2nd Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry

George V on the BWM, named to Serjeant E.W. Tabb, still Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry

George VI on the Defence Medal, probably for Home Guard service by Mr. Tabb.

IPB Image

The trio was once mounted, but the South African ribbon disintergrated so I had to replace it.

SA to PTE 3643 E. Pewsey Wiltshire Regt.

BWM and Victory to 767 PTE. E. Pewsey.

I assume the Defense medal was for 1940-1944 service. It's my "Dad's Army" group.

Wow, those are interesting. I begin to really see the appeal British medals and associated pieces have............ the history expressed by these pieces and exactly how, when and where that history encompassed so much of the world can be rather humbling..... Thanks Ed!

Subadar Rur Singh, 32nd Sikh Pioneers

1- Indian Distinguished Service Medal, Edward VII - Subdr Rur Singh 32d Sikh Pioneers

2- India General Service Medal, 1854 - HAZARA 1891, SIKKIM 1888 - 2396 Sepoy Rur Singh 32d Bl Infy

3- India Medal 1895 - WAZIRISTAN 1901-2, RELIEF OF CHITRAL 1895 - 2396 Havdr Rur Singh 32nd Bl Infy

4- Tibet Medal - GYANTSE - Subdr Rur Singh 32nd Sikh Pioneers

5- India General Service Medal, 1908 - George V, 1st variety - ABOR 1911 - Subadar Rur Singh 32nd Sikh Pioneers

I have a double IGS pair (54/95) to 2210 Sepoy Hira Singh of the 32nd. I added the Hazara clasp to the Sikkim clasp, since 800 of the unit were present, which means practically everyone, but often wondered about whether he was entitled to a Waziristan 1901, and a Tibet. Since his number would indicate an enlistment about two years earlier than Rur Singh, and maybe more, I think I can safely rule out an IGS 1908. On the other hand there do not seem to be many, if any contact marks on the 1895's right side, so maybe he only had the two medals.

• 4 years later...

Here is one for you......

7002 Corporal to Quartermaster Sergeant Francis John Cook, Volunteer Service Company West Riding Regiment.....

Victoria - Queen's South Africa Medal

Edward VII - Volunteer Long Service and Good Conduct Medal

George V - 1914-18 War Medal, Imperial Service Medal and Bronze Coronation Medal

Mike

In my part of the world three-sovereign groups are common because of three conflicts in which many local men were involved:

Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902) - Queen Victoria/King Edward VII

Natal Rebellion (1906) - King Edward VII

World War I, especially German South West Africa & German East Africa (1914-18) - King George V

One such medal group is shown below.

Brett