News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 4 weeks later...

Stephen Miller,

Have not got any modern RNZAF aircrew badges, but I can say that they are down to just two main flying badges being issued these days, Pilot and Air Warfare officer (I believe they got the second idea from the RAF in recent times!). However we still have the Helicopter Crewman, Flight Steward (mostly, if not exclusively female), and Load Master. There are still plenty of AEOP and Navigator badges in use, but these will gradually fade out as members retire, and I believe they also still issue a type of Air Gunner badge for ground crew personnel who volunteer to man the Browning machine guns sometimes mounted in the doorways of UH-1 helicopters when the need arises. Lastly the PJI badge is still in use, although all the trainees tend to be Army, or RNZAF personnel who have taken up parachuting as a recreational sport, including at least one padre! As with most other contemporary Commonwealth air forces, all these badges are "ensigned" (are "topped off") with a St. Edwards crown. This crown is usually referred to as the Queen's crown because most people have a problem with fact that the queen is naturally female, but St Edward was obviously a man!

Why don't you enquire at the Royal New Zealand Air Force Museum? Or the Official RNZAF web site? One of these institutions should be able to supply you with the latest information, and probably downloads of the badges in question.

David D

• 8 months later...

Email me

Stephen Miller

Happy to help you with lots of photos and information, please contact my via email.

I am an ex RNZAF serviceman and collector Commonwealth Wings and Brevet (New Zealand, Australia and British defence forces) with a special interest in the RNZAF.

I current have about 49 RNZAF brevet, most of which are modern (1995 - current). The attached photos were taken in Apr 2009 and my collection have grown since then.

Quickly current aircrew catgories and brevet are;

RNZAF - Cloth, 1/2 size gold bullion, metal and flying name patch - Pilot (PLT) - NZ wing, Air Warfare Officer (AWO) - AW (amalgamation of Navigator and Air Electronics Officer), Air Electronics Operator (AEOP) - AE, Air Engineers (AIRENG) - E, Air Ordnanceman (AOM - AO, Air Loadmaster (ALM) - LM, Helicopter Crewman (HCM - HC, Flight Steward (FSWTD) - FS and Parachute Jump Instructor (PJI) - Canopy

RNZN - Gold bullion (Pilot only), Metal and flying name patch - Pilot, Airbourne Tactical Officer (TACCO), Helicopter Crewman

RAAF - Gold bullion, 1/2 size gold bullion, Metal, Cloth, Flying Name patch - Pilot - RAAF wing, Air Combat Officer (ACO) - southern cross wing (amalgamation of Navigator, Air Electronics Officer and Fighter Controller), Air Electronics Analyst (AEA) - AE, Flight Engineer (FLTENG) - E, Loadmaster (LOADM) - L, Crew Attendant (CREWATT) - CA (Plus flying ground trade Flight Technical (FLTTECH) - FT)

AAAvn - Metal, Cloth (4 types - White, DPCU, DPDU and black backing) - Pilot - Royal Cipher wings and Aircrewman - A

RAN - Metal, 1/2 size metal and flying name patch - Pilot - anchor, wrealth & crown, Observer - anchor, rope & crown, Aircrewman - anchor & rope

Cheers

Gareth