News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbon ID help

Can anyone ID the ribbon/ribbons on this soldier's tunic? The photo was taken in 1941.

He was discharged through illness in 1916 before going overseas, joined the Labour Corps in 1918 and went to France. I don't think the ribbon or ribbons are a WWI pair.

For some reason he ended up at Dunkirk in 1940 but apart from that, pre WWI weekend/summer camp service and WWI, I don't know of any other service. All his medals were pawned in the 60s for half a crown or a crown. :speechless:

Tony

"Oh, sir, would you turn this way, sir, please, . . . "

I'd want to look more closely before I dismissed the WWI pair as a possibility. Remember the odd spectrum shifts that we see with ealy (pre-1950s) black and white film emulsions. See, for example, the ribbons on Khudadad Khan's medals . . .

Hello Ed,

I think the width of the colouring on the first ribbon just doesn?t look right for a BWM so I?m wondering if he was awarded something that would be placed before his campaign pair. Oh if my great Aunt hadn't pawned his medals ........

On another note; I?ve just downloaded his MiD and found out that he also served in the RGA as well as the Labour Corps but his service as a territorial in the Rangers isn?t noted. None of the family had a clue he also served in the artillery during WWI and none of them knows what he did in WWII apart from being at Dunkirk.

Tony

Special Constab. medal?

No he wasn't a policeman.

Maybe it is his pair and the light that day was playing tricks. I might be better off contacting the medal office and waiting a year or so for the answer.

Tony

No he wasn't a policeman.

Maybe it is his pair and the light that day was playing tricks. I might be better off contacting the medal office and waiting a year or so for the answer.

Tony

The stripes look about right for a Territorial Force War Medal, although with his service I would have expected a BWM at least as well. Unless he pawned his pair and ket the TFWM. I believe that medal was somewhat prized (so much so that my wife's grandfather (15th London Regt.) put the ribbon up along with his trio for his Second War R.C.A.F. service.

If you've found his Medal Index Card online at National Archives why not pay the 3.50 and download the image? That should say exactly what he was awarded.

Hello Michael,

I've already downloaded his MiC which shows he only received the pair, it also gave me the info that he served as a driver in the RGA before being transferred to the Labour Corps but, didn't mention his service in the TA.

All of his medals were pawned a while after he died so I would think that means his WWII medals too.

Tony

Looking at it again, I think he has his pair up. The BWM centre stripe has darkened due to the film used (yellow looks black), and due to the angle the side stripes don't show. There isn't enough light on the Victory ribbon to make any of the colours stand out.

Edited by Michael Johnson

• 2 years later...

Nobody's mentioned - he's wearing the Pioneer Corps badge on his WWII FS Cap.

Nice one Leigh, I've always thought it might have been the Dad's Army type badge. He must have liked digging.

Tony

Edited by Tony