News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Winston Churchill's medals

Here's a list of the ODMs of Sir Winston Churchill

The Order of Precedence

1. Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, UK, appointed 24Apr53, installed 14Jun54.

2. Order of Merit, UK, appointed 1Jan46, installed 8Jan46.

3. Order of the Companions of Honour, UK, appointed 19Oct22, invested 16Jun23.

4. India Medal, 1895 (clasp: Punjab Frontier 1897-98), UK, authorized 10Dec 1898.

5. Queen's Sudan Medal 1896-98, UK, authorized 27Mar 1899.

6. Queen's South Africa Medal 1899-1902 (clasps: Diamond Hill, Johannesburg, Relief of Ladysmith, Orange Free State, Tugela Heights, Cape Colony), UK, authorized 15Jul 1901.

7. 1914-1915 Star, UK, authorized 10Oct19.

8. British War Medal 1914-1918, UK, authorized 13Oct19.

9. Victory Medal, UK, authorized 4Jun20.

10. 1939-1945 Star, UK, authorized 9Oct45.

11. Africa Star, UK, authorized 9Oct45.

12. Italy Star, UK, authorized 2Aug45.

13. France and Germany Star, UK, authorized 9Oct45.

14. Defence Medal 1939-45, UK, authorized 9Oct45.

15. War Medal 1939-45, UK, authorized 11Dec46.

16. King George V Coronation Medal, UK, 1911.

17. King George V Silver Jubilee Medal, UK, 1935.

18. King George VI Coronation Medal, UK, 1937.

19. Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal, UK, 1953.

20. Territorial Decoration (King George V), UK, 31Oct24.

21. Cross of the Order of Military Merit, Red Ribbon, First Class, Spain, granted 6Dec 1895, ratified 25Jan 1896.

22. Grand Cordon of the Order of Leopold with Palm, Belgium, 15Nov45.

23. Knight Grand Cross, Order of the Lion of the Netherlands, Holland, May 1946.

24. Grand Cross, Order of the Oaken Crown, Luxembourg, 14Jul46.

25. Grand Cross with Chain, Royal Norwegian Order of St. Olav, Norway, 11May48.

26. Order of the Elephant, Denmark, 9Oct50.

27. Order of Liberation, France, awarded 6Nov58.

28. Most Refulgent Order of the Star of Nepal, First Class, Nepal, 29Jun61.

29. Grand Sash of the High Order of Sayyid Mohammed bin Ali el Senoussi, Kingdom of Libya, awarded 14Apr62.

30. Army Distinguished Service Medal, United States, authorized 10May19, awarded 16Jul19.

31. War Cross with Palm, Belgium, 15Nov45.

32. Military Medal 1940-45, Luxembourg, 14Jul46.

33. Military Medal, France, 8May47.

34. War Cross with palm, France, 8May47.

35. Cuban Campaign Medal, 1895-98, Spain, awarded 1914.

36. Khedive's Sudan Medal (clasp: Khartoum), Egypt, 1899.

37. King Christian X's Liberty Medal, Denmark, 10Sep46.

:beer: Doc

Douglas Russell authored a book entitled THE ORDERS, DECORATONS AND MEDALS OF SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL. I do not remember the publication date, perhaps in the 1980s. The OMSA (now amalgamated into the ANS) library formerly had a copy. This book illustrates Sir Winston's actual awards, save 4 or 5 that were returned to issuing authorities upon his death. The book contains pictures of examples of the returned awards. Most illustrations were in black and white. I believe Russell projected a second edition containing color plates illustrating all awards but do not know if it was ever published.

Having the award list simplifies gathering illustrations via the internet in any case--Megan's site provides pictures of most if not all.

• 2 weeks later...
    I've a spare copy of Douglas Russell's THE ORDERS, DECORATONS AND MEDALS OF SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL. This is the 1990 ,6 X 9 inch, 104 page paperback edition containing short descriptions of his award circumstances, small black and white photos of most of the pieces, 2 color plates depicting six "foreign" orders, and 1 color plate of his medals. This copy is in great shape but has the name and address of the former owner stamped inside the front cover. Price $70 (Paypal or check) post paid book rate.

I've a spare copy of Douglas Russell's THE ORDERS, DECORATONS AND MEDALS OF SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL. This is the 1990 ,6 X 9 inch, 104 page paperback edition containing short descriptions of his award circumstances, small black and white photos of most of the pieces, 2 color plates depicting six "foreign" orders, and 1 color plate of his medals. This copy is in great shape but has the name and address of the former owner stamped inside the front cover. Price $70 (Paypal or check) post paid book rate.

Thanks, tempting, but I'll pass. I appreciate the offer.

Hugh

• 4 months later...

What the H...?

Gents... What is Winston doing with WW2 stars among his other gongs?

In NO WAY do I want to seem like I wish to diminish his contribution to final victory, but... I've seen so many WW2 vets from various Commonwealth countries told outright they did not qualify for the 1939-45 Star even after receiving other Stars that it bothers me a bit to see them here...

The WW2 Victory Medal I understand, heck, I would've minted a solid gold version for him!!

The Defense Medal, iffy at best...

The Stars... Sorry, not in my humble opinion. I don't care how much time he actually spent in theater as the guest of Ike or Alexander or Monty, it simply doesn`t seem right to me.

But that's only MY opinion. I don't mean to offend people with opinions that differ from mine, I would however appreciate an explanation as to just how this came about...

What the H...?

Gents... What is Winston doing with WW2 stars among his other gongs?

In NO WAY do I want to seem like I wish to diminish his contribution to final victory, but... I've seen so many WW2 vets from various Commonwealth countries told outright they did not qualify for the 1939-45 Star even after receiving other Stars that it bothers me a bit to see them here...

The WW2 Victory Medal I understand, heck, I would've minted a solid gold version for him!!

The Defense Medal, iffy at best...

The Stars... Sorry, not in my humble opinion. I don't care how much time he actually spent in theater as the guest of Ike or Alexander or Monty, it simply doesn`t seem right to me.

But that's only MY opinion. I don't mean to offend people with opinions that differ from mine, I would however appreciate an explanation as to just how this came about...

If he meet the award criteria with regards the medals, then I have no problems with them being awarded to him.

Edited by Kev in Deva

If he meet the award criteria with regards the medals, then I have no problems with them being awarded to him.

Well, that's just it... He didn't. He was a politician, and even though he was a veteran, he was not a member of the armed forces. The award prerequisites are quite simple and plain to understand: "for OPERATIONAL service". Unless the King waived the prerequisites for him? Did this actually happen?

Edited by TacHel

Well, that's just it... He didn't. He was a politician, and even though he was a veteran, he was not a member of the armed forces. The award prerequisites are quite simple and plain to understand: "for OPERATIONAL service". Unless the King waived the prerequisites for him? Did this actually happen?

And the King got WWII medals too . . .

Would the fact that he was a honorary officer have been reason enough to get the medals?Not the best of sources but Wiki

has the following:-:-

On 4 April 1939, Churchill was made an Honorary Air Commodore of No. 615 (County of Surrey) Squadron in the Auxiliary Air Force. In March 1943, the Air Council awarded Churchill honorary wings.[8]

He was the Colonel in Chief of the 4th Queen's Own Hussars (his old regiment) and after its amalgamation, the first Colonel in Chief of the Queen's Royal Irish Hussars which he held until his death in 1965 and was known as the "Greatest Hussar of all time".

From 1941 to his death, he was the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports, a ceremonial office. In 1941 Canadian Governor General Alexander Cambridge, Earl of Athlone, swore him into the King's Privy Council for Canada.

Although this allowed him to use the honorific title The Honourable and the post-nominal letters PC, both of these were trumped by his membership in the Imperial Privy Council which allowed him the use of The Right Honourable.[8]

In 1953, he was awarded two major honours: he was invested as a Knight of the Garter (becoming Sir Winston Churchill, KG) and he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature "for his mastery of historical and biographical description as well as for brilliant oratory in defending exalted human values".[9]

He was Chancellor of the University of Bristol as well as in 1959, Father of the House, the MP with the longest continuous service.[10]

In 1956, Churchill received the Karlspreis (known in English as the Charlemagne Award), an award by the German city of Aachen to those who most contribute to the European idea, and European peace.[11]

In 1964, Civitan International presented Churchill its first World Citizenship Award for service to the world community.[12]

Churchill was also appointed a Kentucky Colonel.[13] [14]

When Churchill was 88 he was asked by the Duke of Edinburgh how he would like to be remembered. He replied with a scholarship like the Rhodes scholarship but for the wider masses. After his death, the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust was established in Great Britain and Australia. A Churchill Trust Memorial Day was held in Australia, raising $AUD4.3 million. Since that time the Churchill Trust in Australia has supported over 3,000 scholarship recipients in a diverse variety of fields, where merit, either on the basis of past experience, or potential, and the propensity to contribute to the community have been the only criteria.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

His Majesty was the "Commander in Chief" of the armed forces. And let us not forget the old adage... "It's good to be King". :rolleyes:

Mr Churchill's honorary titles of air commodore and colonel in chief might have been recognized for awards, I know modern day honorary colonels count their time for long service awards, but...

I stress the term "OPERATIONAL SERVICE" which is mentioned in the prerequisites for ALL WW2 stars. Even modern awards' prerequisites are still written this way explicitely to prevent "visitors" to the operational areas from claiming combat theater awards.

Edited by TacHel

I stress the term "OPERATIONAL SERVICE" which is mentioned in the prerequisites for ALL WW2 stars. Even modern awards' prerequisites are still written this way explicitely to prevent "visitors" to the operational areas from claiming combat theater awards.

You mean you never read about the "All Too Secret Exploits of Winnie in WW2" :shame:

Where he went on secret missions with the Commandos,

landing by Parachute behind enemy lines, storming enemy beaches

and chewing his way through the Jungles of Burma.

Ah! well I guess thats why they call it "Need to know".

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

You mean you never read about the "All Too Secret Exploits of Winnie in WW2" :shame:

Where he went on secret missions with the Commandos,

landing by Parachute behind enemy lines, storming enemy beaches

and chewing his way through the Jungles of Burma.

Ah! well I guess thats why they call it "Need to know".

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

You forgot to mention the time he was snorkeling in the Med and single handedly sank a U Boat by taking a bite out of it... :speechless:

And can you please show us an example of him wearing them.

He never wore any British decorations that he had not received before he became King. This included some of the highest orders in the land, to which he would have been entitled to as Sovereign of those orders.

Would the fact that he was a honorary officer have been reason enough to get the medals?Not the best of sources but Wiki

has the following:-:-

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Alas, one cannot rely on wiki for very much. A greater source of missinformation does not exist on this planet.

Churchill wasn't actually "Colonel-in-Chief" of his old regiment, but its Colonel. Technically a regular appointment at the time.

Someone said that the King was "Commander in Chief", this is not so. The King is King. Commander-in-Chief is an office under the King.

The common misunderstanding is due to (sigh) "Americanisation". Because their President is C-in-C it has become common to imagine that other Heads of State are so. The American office is really descended from the old British colonial practice whereby the King's local governor was usually, though not always, also the local C-in-C.