News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EKI for consideration

Hello everyone,

I've just received this EKI and wanted to ask for opinions from the forum members. I've been told it is by an 'unknown' maker. I can see that the pin assembly and numbers differ slightly from the Wiedmann EK, so I feel fairly confident in believing it is no Wiedmann. If anyone has any idea on who the maker might be I would certainly appreciate hearing from you. I hope you enjoy the photos.

Best regards,

Robert

Hi Robert,

a very nice cross... :)

IMO it is a Wiedmann with a different needle. The little plate under the little catch is missing, but that is no reason to wonder.

The frame and core looks like Wiedmann.

I like this light worn crosses more than the mint pieces. IMO they have more character.... :)

Best wishes,

Oliver

PS: The ?bergr?e from Frank is an very good piece Now you need the little brother of the ?bergr??e-EK or do you have it ?

Hi Robert,

yes the patina looks very good on these worn pieces.

Ses the 100 mm EK1 and EK2: to find a worn piece with nice patina is more difficult than finding a mint cross.

Most of my crosses, 95%, are in worn condition, only a fiew are mint.

I did a search for the little ?bergr??en EK2, but couldn`t find one. There was one for sale on Mili321, but it seems to be sold now.... :(

Best wishes,

Oliver

Thanks Bill,

Nice example. It seems odd that Wiedmann never marked their EKI's, as they did their EKII's ('19'). Are these crosses posted here early examples of the Wiedmann, or just a variant with different pin asssemblies?

Regards,

Robert

Edited by robert pierce

Bill, I found out that my EKII frame is rotated 90 degress to the right compared to my EKI. And, my EKII core is a variant with a different core (look at the '3' in 1939), although the frame is the same, and is in the same location (clockwise). Take a look...

BTW, your EKII date looks very convincing next to your EKI.

Regards,

Robert

Hi Bill, hi Robert,

i`m sorry to say, that in my opinion, theses 22 mm crosses are all post war marked.

There are so many ( i guess 7 or 8) core and frame variants. I can`t imagine, that one manufactor used 7 or more designs in frames and cores.

Best wishes,

Oliver

Well, I have no experience with these '22'-marked EKI's. I'm studying the frames of my crosses really hard right now, searching for answers. Thank you both for good study information.

Bill, could you possibly post a close up of the dates in your EKI and EKII, please, with good lighting?

Robert

Edited by robert pierce

Hi Robert,

there are two possibilities about the 22mm crosses, imo:

1: Boerger & Co bought EK2`s (most in standart-design) from other firms and sold them with their maker mark.

2: Someone, after the war, stamped these crosses with 22 to create a new and rare variant

Best wishes,

Oliver

Through much study over a 10X loupe and good lighting these are my findings:

1. My Wiedmann SB matches my EKII '19', both frame and core.

2. My Wiedmann SB matches this particular PB (what others call a Wiedmann PB). The frame on the PB is rotated 180 degrees, the core matches perfectly.

3. This particular PB DOES NOT match my '22' EKII, neither core nor frame. At first I thought the frame might, but under a loupe and good lighting I can see it DOES NOT.

I conclude that this PB IS a Wiedmann, and would rule out it being anything other.

Regards,

Robert