News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Collection of ODMs of Belgium

Medaille Commemorative De La Guerre 1914-1918

Commemorative Medal World War I 1914-1918

Herinnerings Medaille Van De Oorlog 1914-1918

... There are several attachments that may be seen on this medal.

1. Silver Star- Disabled in War

2. Red Cross- Wounded in war

3. Gold Crown- Volunteers

4. Small gold crown- Volunteers

5. Gold or Silver bars (1 Gold equals 5 silver bars)- Volunteers

6. Silver Crown- Intelligence Agaents

7. Silver Lions- Intelligence Agents

8. Bronze Anchor- Merchant Marine

3. Gold crown & 4. small gold crown : to my knowledge there's only one gold crown device (6 mm wide)

5. Gold & silver bars indicate the time spent in the frontline : 1st bar indicates 1 year of frontline duty, each subsequent 6 months are indicated by further bars.

6. Silver crown indicates an award to intelligence agents that have also received a Belgian order for their wartime work

Further to these devices, there's also :

- black enamelled bar, indicating a posthumous award

- the bar for the Belgian expeditionary corps in Russia

- black painted bar(s) indicating the period spent as a POW and

- crossed anchors for the Belgian Navy members.

Cheers,

Hendrik

• Replies 56
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there a book you can recommend?

Hello Doc,

The best book I've come across is in French language only ... "Les Distinctions Honorifiques de la Belgique" by the late Andr? Born?. I used it as the basis for my website :-)

Cheers,

Hendrik

• 6 months later...

Order De Leopold II Medal 1908 (present)

This is the 6th Class Gold medal

The 6th Class of this Order the medal was awarded in three grades:

1. Gold (Gilt)

2. Silver

3. Bronze

It came cased with two pins

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

<!--quoteo(post=326210:date=Mar 12 2009, 03:14 :name=Riley1965)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Riley1965 @ Mar 12 2009, 03:14 ) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=326210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there a book you can recommend?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b><i><!--fonto:Tahoma--><span style="font-family:Tahoma"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#8b0000--><span style="color:#8b0000"><!--/coloro-->Hello Doc,

The best book I've come across is in French language only ... "Les Distinctions Honorifiques de la Belgique" by the late Andr? Born?. I used it as the basis for my website :-)

Cheers,

Hendrik<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--></i></b>

I know a seller that has a second copy of "LES ORDRES DE CHEVALERIE DE LA BELGIQUE DE 1830 A NOS JOURS" by H. QUINOT. I am not sure how good the reference is or how much they are expecting to get for it, but I can ask if anyone is interested. I believe it's in French only.

Tim

<!--quoteo(post=326210:date=Mar 12 2009, 03:14 :name=Riley1965)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Riley1965 @ Mar 12 2009, 03:14 ) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=326210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there a book you can recommend?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b><i><!--fonto:Tahoma--><span style="font-family:Tahoma"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#8b0000--><span style="color:#8b0000"><!--/coloro-->Hello Doc,

Cheers,

Hendrik<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--></i></b>

Hi Hendrik,

I need to find a copy of that book and hope that the brain cells that hold 2 1/2 years of High School French wake up :blush:

I should be getting some PICS of the book mentioned above and a price sometime this week. If interested at that point, let me know and I can put you in contact with the seller. :cheers:

Oh, I don't need no stinking books, I have you guys here to torment!! :o:speechless1: :lol:

Just an update here. The seller left the camera at work and will email some PICS this week, which I will post here and the price being asked is 100.00 EUROS (shipping included). She has two books available. That's all I know for now.

Tim

A little late in coming, but with everyones work schedules and ...

Here's some PICS as promised and again the seller states the price is 100 Euros with shipping included. She has two books available.

I am not directly involved with the sale. So, if interested, PM or email me and I will send you her contact information and you can deal with her directly. Really nice lady.

Tim

Oh! :unsure:

I better state that I am presenting this here as the thread asked about Belgian ODM references, but... If this is considered a type of "sales thread" I may be violating some club rules and this is not my intent.

Let me know if it is and I can remove the material or move it to the appropriate sales area, though again, this is not my material for sale. :blush:

Tim

cool.gifYes! That is the book. Great infor there for the Belgian collector! They are getting harder to get.cool.gif

Last one; I can't read French, so no idea how good or how well the material is. Let me know if you need more information.

Tim cheers.gif

Guys,

Hold off for now. I have to make a an emergency move back to my hometown to help Mom take care Dad. I need to save for a Moving Company. I can't buy anything until i get there in April. I'm flying home for to weeks in late December through early July.

No problems Doc,

Really posted for anyone interested. No idea how flexible on the price or how soon she wants/needs to move them; I didn't really ask too much. Anyone interested, just let me know.

Tim :cheers:

Just an update here. The seller left the camera at work and will email some PICS this week, which I will post here and the price being asked is 100.00 EUROS (shipping included). She has two books available. That's all I know for now.

Tim

Wow! What a price! speechless1.gif Is that what the book brings in now! I will sure take real care of my copy! I may need to look into translating the book into English.

Hi James,

Yes, a bit pricy in my mind as well but, I have no idea how valuable a reference and how sought after it is.

I don't buy too many books anymore, as publishing costs have made many of the new books on militaria just too costly for me. The German WWII area is my case in point, great books coming out, but none are under $100. plus shipping. :(

I could see "the investment" in say a good solid reference on a particulary rare and expensive item and the reference provides a in-depth study on various maker's, markings, die flaws, etc., along with fakes and what to watch out for, but for common items, I will save the money and use the forums and experience of more knowledgeable collectors. More money for the collection!

Tim

Edited by Tim B

Hi James,

Yes, a bit pricy in my mind as well but, I have no idea how valuable a reference and how sought after it is.

I don't buy too many books anymore, as publishing costs have made many of the new books on militaria just too costly for me. The German WWII area is my case in point, great books coming out, but none are under $100. plus shipping. sad.gif

I could see "the investment" in say a good solid reference on a particulary rare and expensive item and the reference provides a in-depth study on various maker's, markings, die flaws, etc., along with fakes and what to watch out for, but for common items, I will save the money and use the forums and experience of more knowledgeable collectors. More money for the collection!

Tim

Don't get me wrong Tim, this is a very good book and a must in my opinion for the Belgian collector! Let me check with my connections and see if in fact I can procure a copy of the book at a lower price. I paid $40 US for mine some time ago and thought that was high until it was in my hands. Once seeing the contents, the research value became extremely apparent! blush.gif

Although a solid reference in my mind, I have not found a reference on Belgian orders and medals that meets all your standards above. Trust me, there is a real need for one now! Years ago, I sold off my German, British and US collection to concentrate on Belgian historical and militaria at the consternation of my American collector friends. You have a lot of questions regarding Belgian official medals? Try their un-official medals! No reference material at all! I enjoy your interest and posts here on the forum. Keep up the interest and questions. Gosh, this is fun! beer.gif

QUOTE (Riley1965 @ Mar 11 2009, 21:47 ) Medaille Commemorative De La Guerre 1914-1918

Commemorative Medal World War I 1914-1918

Herinnerings Medaille Van De Oorlog 1914-1918

... There are several attachments that may be seen on this medal.

Further to these devices, there's also :

- black enamelled bar, indicating a posthumous award

Cheers,

Hendrik

To all,

As Hendrik has indicated there is also the black enamelled bar, also commonly known as the 'Mothers Bar' indicating a posthumous award.

Here is a 'Mothers Bar' attached to a Belgian victory medal. This is an original bar, noting that the black enamel is flush with the top surface and edge rim of the bar. There is a later contemporary copy of the bar which is slightly longer and wider than the original, and has a wider rim. It does not however have the black enamel centre; it is just a black painted hollowed recess.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 1 year later...

is this the book "Distinctions Honorifiques de la Belgique" ???

if so i am very interested , i know it is a old thread but maybe it is still available ???

Don't get me wrong Tim, this is a very good book and a must in my opinion for the Belgian collector! Let me check with my connections and see if in fact I can procure a copy of the book at a lower price. I paid $40 US for mine some time ago and thought that was high until it was in my hands. Once seeing the contents, the research value became extremely apparent! blush.gif

Although a solid reference in my mind, I have not found a reference on Belgian orders and medals that meets all your standards above. Trust me, there is a real need for one now! Years ago, I sold off my German, British and US collection to concentrate on Belgian historical and militaria at the consternation of my American collector friends. You have a lot of questions regarding Belgian official medals? Try their un-official medals! No reference material at all! I enjoy your interest and posts here on the forum. Keep up the interest and questions. Gosh, this is fun! beer.gif

No, you are talking about Andre Charles Borne's book. That is the other must have book regarding Belgian orders and medals. This one is the older Quenot book. I am presently out of town but when I get back home in a couple days I will post a picture of both book covers.

is this the book "Distinctions Honorifiques de la Belgique" ???

if so i am very interested , i know it is a old thread but maybe it is still available ???