News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Military Merit medal, Schaumburg Lippe

Hello Gentlemens !

I purpose you today a Schaumburg Lippe military merit medal.

This medal is amazing, because it?s a second model medal, awarded during 1870-1871 war, but she?s wearing the swords, who are specific to WW1 ! Medalnet, who purpose me this medal, is really sure that it's a WW1 era medal.

So, what do you think about it ? An old medal, not awarded in 1870 or 1871, who has been used in beginning of WW1 ?

Thank you for your opinions !

Guest Rick Research

That (Red Cross) is the only WW1 type I have ever seen before. Unfortunately I only have the award rolls (to be published next year) for the House Order (Ehrenkreuz), pinback WW1 Cross for Loyal Service in War, and Arts & Sciences awards from Schaumburg, so no idea how many

or how few

of these there were.

This is the text in David Danner's website with the number of awards before WW1 :

"The Military Merit Medal was created in 1850 and was intended to be awarded without regard to rank. There is some discrepancy over how many of the first version were issued. Sources agree that 14 were initially awarded (7 to Schaumburgers, 6 to officers from Hesse-Kassel and 1 to a Saxon) plus two awards inscribed on the rim with the words "D?ppeler H?hen den 17. April 1849" (the battle of the D?ppeler Heights was one of the main engagements of the 1848-1851 conflict between Denmark and Germany; the fortifications on these same heights were also scene of the main engagement of the 1864 German-Danish War). After these 14, a number of other awards were made. One source says a total of 58 were awarded, while another says a further 58 were awarded after the initial 14, for a total of 72.

The second version of the Military Merit Medal was awarded for the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71. Prince Adolf I awarded 583 such medals, each with crossed sabers on the ribbon ("mit gekreuztem S?beln auf dem Band").

The third version was awarded in World War One. The design of the medal was the same, although the suspension was different, but instead of crossed sabers, these were awarded with crossed swords on the ribbon ("mit gekreuztem Schwertern auf dem Band"). It is unknown how many of these were awarded, but the number may not have been great. Unlike previous conflicts, the Military Merit Medal was not the principality's main military award - this role had been assumed by the Cross for Loyal Service discussed below.

Nice medal , it was out of my collection from a while back! I traded it with some other stuff for an army Luftschiffer badge. It was difficult to let it go as it is rare and mint. It occured to me also (when I owned it) that it was probably an 1870 overstock piece that was used in 14-18 given the heavy lug on the 1870 ones and the thinner one on the WW1 pieces,but the detail is stunning anyway. I was given to believe that the maroon box indicated a posthumous award. Did it come from Emedals? Ferg1.

Guest Rick Research

Schaumburg awards were not granted posthumously. Indeed, even retaining decorations post mortem without express (and singularly unusual) intervention from The Top virtually never happened. In fact, the hunched gnomes in the Orders Chancery kept a death watch on awards recipients to grab back awarded decorations to deceased natives before their coffins had settled.

When the awards rolls (for the awards I do have rolls for) come out-- the number of such RETURNS as opposed to numbers AWARDED will be...

truly horrifyingly enlightening. :catjava:

Nice medal , it was out of my collection from a while back! I traded it with some other stuff for an army Luftschiffer badge. It was difficult to let it go as it is rare and mint. It occured to me also (when I owned it) that it was probably an 1870 overstock piece that was used in 14-18 given the heavy lug on the 1870 ones and the thinner one on the WW1 pieces,but the detail is stunning anyway. I was given to believe that the maroon box indicated a posthumous award. Did it come from Emedals? Ferg1.

It actually came from Emedals, so it must be your originally. What a small world.

• 8 years later...