News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Croix de Guerre

ccj

• Replies 82
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello ccj. One doubt whit palms:

If five bronze palms are one siver palm, ?Is possible to wear in the ribbon eigth bronze palms?. ?Was it a real habit or is an arbitrary combination?. Anyway a man with a eigth palms in his croix have to be a big heroe... Congratulations for your collection... :cheers: is a decoration really nice.

Have you ever seen a CdG with the palms sewn on each end like the one I have with 8 palms? What level soldier received army level only awards?

Another question, did many generals receive the CgG and if so were they aways with palm?

******** Can anyone post images of Cdg Medals with multiple palms and stars? ********

Edited by ccj

Hello Boris and Charles,

Theoretically 5 bronze palms had to be replaced by 1 silver palm. However, recipients in many cases preferred stacking their bronze palms and there seems to have been little objection to their doing so.

Eight palms almost certainly indicate an ace pilot (1 palm per air victory) ... the ordinary trench warfare soldier would nearly never survive that long.

I've never seen palms mounted that close together, usually they were spaced out a bit more on - if necessary - a super long ribbon.

The cross and its citations are mainly bravery awards but not strictly so, exceptional war service or leadership (for generals) also led to awards.

As requested, some more pictures coming up ...

And, currently residing in the Paris L?gion d'Honneur Museum :

If I recall correctly, it once belonged to a chap called Joffre ... you may have heard the name before :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Hendrik

WOW!!! Would Joffre have worn that version on his uniform? I wonder if it's a private purchase by Joffre or given to him by the gov't.

When the pins of the palms broke they could be sewn. Or they might even be sewn simply to make them safely attached to the ribbon. No special orders on that count.

A CdG with that many palms (if it is was really earned by whoever had it prepared) could possibly be a flyboy. Some of the fighter pilots had up to 20 palms + ...

Hundred of thousands of men earned a CdG during the Great war. All kinds of combinations of stard and palms existed. I am afraid the question as to how many generals received one will remain unanswered. Usually an officer received a citation from an authority of higher command. Therefore, it could well be they received Divisionnal or Army Corps or Army citations, with the according ribbon device.

But this is part guesswork on my part. Frankly, I don't think French collectors mind much about that. They would rather be interested in knowing who was the recipient of a given cross, with the attached citations.

Hope this does not sound discourageing. Best regards

Veteran

When the pins of the palms broke they could be sewn. Or they might even be sewn simply to make them safely attached to the ribbon. No special orders on that count.

A CdG with that many palms (if it is was really earned by whoever had it prepared) could possibly be a flyboy. Some of the fighter pilots had up to 20 palms + ...

Hundred of thousands of men earned a CdG during the Great war. All kinds of combinations of stard and palms existed. I am afraid the question as to how many generals received one will remain unanswered. Usually an officer received a citation from an authority of higher command. Therefore, it could well be they received Divisionnal or Army Corps or Army citations, with the according ribbon device.

But this is part guesswork on my part. Frankly, I don't think French collectors mind much about that. They would rather be interested in knowing who was the recipient of a given cross, with the attached citations.

Hope this does not sound discourageing. Best regards

Veteran

Rollet appears to be wearing a WW1 Cd with 7 bronze palms and one silver star. Wonder why he chose not to wear a silver. Maybe one or two are silver but they look bronze.