News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Croix de Guerre

ccj

• Replies 82
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unattributable because the houseclearer from whom I got it, with some other items, declined to give me any family names. I have the missing Palm with broken prongs.

PK

This is a very nice croix de guerre, never mind who earned it. It looks just right, with its partially faded ribbon and the variety of palms. A fine survivor of WW1 ! .

Please understand my previous answer. I don't mean only airmen could have multipalms badges. It's just that they would be the obvious first thought.

General Rollet's cross has the palms which his Regiment (R?giment de Marche de la L?gion ?trang?re - RMLE) had won under his command as well as whatever other citations he may have personnally earned before he received that command. Since the RMLE was one of the two most decorated regiments in the whole French Forces... (the other Regiment being the R?giment d'Infanterie coloniale du Maroc - RICM - also a unit normally stationed in North Africa at the time).

I doubt he would have thought gilt palms would do : as you can see from that fine photography, he really felt orders were meant to be worn in full.

The broken prongs you mention were a frequent occurence. That is why so many are found sewn to th ribbon, as was often the case for the British mention in despaches palm.

Regards

Veteran

Another illustration with Colonel Larrieu, officer commanding the 326? and 50? R?giment d'Infanterie during all WW1, and the 126? R?giment d'Infanterie after WW1.

You can see five palms on the croix de guerre.

Commandeur de la L?gion d'honneur and I assume star of Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George,

Plus another palm on a Belgian croix de guerre. Plus the Italian Order of the Crown, the bravery medal and the War Merit...

He wears seven chevrons on his left arm. The first chevron is for one year in the front, the others stand for six additional month = 4 years in the front.

He wears one chevron on the right arm. This is for one wound. Note he wears another wounded badge (star on a little bar) placed just under the French WWI commemorative.

I like this picture, which is a true story you can continue in watching at colonial medals he had... in particular the Nichan Iftikhar and the Etoile Noire du B?nin.

Regards

Bison

As an additionnal contribution to this post, here is a typical "improved" 1917 silver croix de guerre, whose ribbon and devices are typical of the period. As you can see, one of the convincing age witnesses is the variety of stars - added as the citations were given - along with the obviously period ribbon.

At the time this was bought, there was very little interest for such awards and chances that they were made up are minimal.

The orignal owner of this croix de guere is unknown.

Regards

Veteran

Veteran is right: the croix de guerre are often neglected, however it is and endless and fantastic subject of study. Moreover these croix witness so much History, sacrifice, sufferings and blood.

To continue, here is another with two different stars

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2008/post-2068-1228324965.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2008/post-2068-1228324990.jpg

And here is another "improved" croix 1914 - 1915, with two unusual palms

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2008/post-2068-1228325145.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2008/post-2068-1228325179.jpg

Edited by Bison

Bonsoir PKeating

May I continue with this other :

"24th Infantry Division

Is mentioned to the division level (silver star) :

Private DELOMENIE Jean

ID Nr 2060

C.H.R (special Company) of the 126 Infantry Regiment

Very good soldier, brave and courageous.

The 24th October 1918 during a raid, he was tasked to clean the enemy trenches and shelters. He completed its mission with much entrain, contributing to capture number of prisoners"

regards

Bison

Edited by Bison

• 1 month later...

This CdG is on display in the Omaka Classic Fighters Museum in Blenheim, New Zealand. If this is the original medal then it would appear that the practice of swapping 5 bronze palms for a silver palm was not common amongst high scoring French Aces. Keeping the bronze palms is certainly more impressive, and definately more difficult to wear. Mark.

Edited by Mark Brewer