News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mongolian awards dates and numbers

Ok, here's the latest info update.

For those who want I have nice little XL sheets combining all the info I have, sent me a PM with your email and I'll sent it to you.

Order of the Red Labour Banner

2845 awarded 1/12/1960

3809 awarded 28/4/1980

Order of Military Merit

4836 awarded 15/7/1985 to Dar'zabii Tsalaankhuu

6885 awarded 28/8/1995

8068 awarded 9/8/1999

Order of the Polar Star

1162 awarded 17/10/1951

6453 awarded 10/11/1956

14292 awarded 3/6/1971

Order for Mother's Glory 1st class

33062 awarded 17/2/1979

Order for Mother's Glory 2nd class

39895 awarded 4/3/1964

61823 awarded 8/2/1969

145718 awarded 18/??/1985

Honorary Labour Medal

9393 awarded 13/11/1956

11032 awarded 6/11/1956

17040 awarded 7/7/1966

23159 awarded 4/8/1976

Friendship medal

4086 awarded in 1971 to Willy Stoph President DDR

And there is more:

Serial number new lows and highs

Order of the red Combat Banner

T1 new high 2789

T1 3rd award new high 157

T1 4th award new low 10 new high 83

Medal for combat Service

T1V2 new low 1795 (Screwback - cloth ribbon - hand engraved serial number NOT preceded by "N?")

Honorary Labour medal

T2V2 low 21874 high 36295 (Pinback - cloth ribbon - Cyrillic inscription - rotating tool serial number)

Medal 40th anniv MPR

new low 00876

Friendship medal

new high 11852

Virginlands medal

new low 00031

Distinguished herdsman

flatback variant low 4164 high 4431

Distinguished Mongolian KGB employee

new high 975

Udarnik badge

new high 4757

That's all for today

I hope this may be of use to you

Jan

Guest Rick Research

:beer: And yet there seems always to be some "back and forth" on ALL of these, with higher numbers awarded before lower numbers... what a mess!!!

:beer: And yet there seems always to be some "back and forth" on ALL of these, with higher numbers awarded before lower numbers... what a mess!!!

Although, they usually follow a quiet good chronology I must admit Polar Stars are particulary chaotic and now the Honorary Labour medal is going off the straight and narrow as well. :(

Seeing that the problem only occurs with the civil (or mixed) awards, I suppose that a probable explanation might be, that batches of these awards were send to the different provinces and thus some were awarded, locally, before others. :speechless:

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I am still trying to sort these Mongolian things out, and losing, badly. In my latest effort, I have tried to come up with a sort of "checklist", by type, by serial numbers, and by date. This is VERY preliminary and I am sure very wrong in places. But I have reached a critical mass of confusion and wanted to share this delightful state with the brotherhood here.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

IPB ImageIPB Image

Get the checklist: http://faculty.winthrop.edu/haynese/Mongol...20checklist.pdf

(Cannot upload it here, sorry.)

I have gotten good off-list information from several of our forum's denizens, and shall be updating. Will do so when I get brave enough to think again about the Polar Star, that is!

Hi Ed,

This might interest you:

11.07.2005 CHINGGIS DECORATION PRESENTED TO THE FIRST PRESIDENT

Ulaanbaatar, /MONTSAME/. The President of Mongolia, Mr. N.Enkhbayar has presented the Chinggis decoration to the first Mongolian President P.Ochirbat. On June 24, 2005, the former President Mr. N.Bagabandi issued an order to present the decoration to Mr. P.Ochirbat for his valuable contribution to the strengthening the independence, sovereignty, and the national solidarity of Mongolia, the approval of the new Mongolian Constitution, the socio-economic reforms, the establishment of humanitarian and democratic civil society, the development of the national culture and tradition, and the promotion of foreign relations. This was the first ever presentation of the Chinggis decoration named as the Great Chinggis Khan created for the 800th anniversary of the Great Mongol Empire. B. Bolortuya

Also, in the list you compiled, there are a few mistakes that are copied from one of the first versions of a similar list I have compiled. I found out they were mistakes later, changed it on my list, but were apparantly never corrected on list of the person you got the info from.

I will go into deeper detail later, but I can already say, that the type 2.1 of the Honorary Combat medal, (pinback / handengraved), is in my opinion inexistant and rather a type 1 with a new (repaired) pinback suspension. I've seen only 1 such award and the serial number makes no sense for a pinback, whereas Mongolian serial number ranges are usually fairly consistant.

Anyway, thumbs up for the good work :jumping:

Jan

• 5 weeks later...

Honorary Labor Medal

Type 1.1 (Ribboned screwback suspension; Uighur; SN with "No." prefix)

Low = 214 High = 985

Type 1.2.1 (Ribboned screwback suspension; Uighur; SN without prefix, seperately soldered ring)

Low = 1569 High = 11953

Type 1.2.2 (Ribboned screwback suspension; Uighur; SN with "No" prefix above the SN)

Low = 10663 High = 10668

Type 1.2.3 (Ribboned screwback suspension; Uighur; SN without prefix, ring part of the medal)

Low = 12001 High = 16519

Type 2.1 (Ribboned pinback suspension; Cyrillic; SN stamped)

Low = 16785 High = 21354

Type 2.2 (Ribboned pinback suspension; Cyrillic; SN rotating tool engraved)

High = 35869

Type 3 (Enameled pinback suspension; SN rotating tool engraved)

Low = 737 High = 4892

Type 4 (Enameled pinback suspension; SN rotating tool engraved; aluminum) IS THE SAME AS TYPE 3 , was a mistake from my part, there is no such thing as aluminum HLM's

Medal for Selflessness/Medal for Distinction in Prodtecting Public Order

Type 2.1 (Two red bands and one blue band; SN rotating tool engraved)

High = 1232

Hope this helps

Jan

Jan,

regarding the Honorary Labor Medal, the most recent type seems to be from aluminium. I guess, you have seen it on ebay too, right? ;)

Gerd

• 2 weeks later...