News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Awards - WW1 Victory Medal

Gordon Williamson

Dieter3,

Here are 2 of my japanese vics for a side-by-side comparison. Note the differences in ribbon hues between the two, and the strength of the green band on the medal on the left.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks Rob. Quite a difference between the Japanese ribbons as well, not only the color, but the taper of the ribbon, very interesting! I wonder if these were made in different locations, or if the design was intentionally altered! I don't as yet have one of these, but now that I see the differences, I'm really going to pay more attention! Variants are always a big plus in my book!

• 1 month later...

What about this one? This ribbon is so vivid - could it be a replacement, or copy? It seems authentic from the pics. I've observed and the very few specimens I've handled, but It almost seems too nice, that's some serious green. Thoughts??

What about this one? This ribbon is so vivid - could it be a replacement, or copy? It seems authentic from the pics. I've observed and the very few specimens I've handled, but It almost seems too nice, that's some serious green. Thoughts??

Hello Dieter3,

Agreed the ribbon does have a very vivid colour. I have seen other specimens where the ribbon colours are particularly bright. Not being able to see the entire obverse and reverse I couldn't comment on your statement that it could be a replacement or a copy. I have seen many copies of the Japanese vic and they are not this good.

The reverse of the ribbon has the standard 'hook and eye' although I am bemused why the hook is not actually behind the eye but that is a minor thing.

I would say it looks okay pending a better look at the obverse and reverse. You may want to inquire with Paul Murphy as well.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Here are the obverse and reverse. The medallion certainly looks more "aged" than the ribbon. I guess one thing might have nothing to do with the other, but this is what made me wonder that although the ribbon may be authentic, perhaps it was not original to this medallion and was replaced at some point..... (?)

I've been looking at the front, I noticed several differences, some more visible. I'll try to describe them.

falsaeverdadeirac.jpg

1 - sole of the boot

2 - crumpled different and with shade (shadow in "poofy")

3 - crumpled different and with shade (shadow in "poofy")

4 - thickness of the belt

5 - thickness of the bat

6 - tie belt

7 - size of sleeve bar

8 - collar of the kimono

9 - creased the sleeve is more subtle

10 - hair and a face less

Regards.

Berzotti

ps: sorry for my bad english

To all,

As indicated in post #22 here are a couple of comparison pics of a regular French made Jap vic repro (on the left) and another French made cast copy repro (on the right).

Note the smaller suspender ball, shallower level of detail and slightly pitted appearance, attributable to the casting process. The diameter of the cast copy is 34.6 mm compared to 35.8 mm for the standard French repro compared to 36.5 mm of the official strike.

There is considerable flashing, pits, and filing marks on the rim indicative of the casting and finishing process.

Hope it is of use.

Edited by RobW