News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medalla "Cruz Roja Cubana"

Taz

Awarded to Cuban and foreign citizens, to recognize and to distinguish the accomplishment of high humanity or heroic content when giving health help or saving people whose lives are in extreme danger; or had distinguished themselves in activities, goals and purposes of the institution.

The Cuban Red Cross was founded by Diego Tamayo y Figueredo on the 10th March, 1909 and recognised by the International Committee of the Red Cross on the 7th September 1909.

In 1919 the Cruz Roja Cubana (CRC) joined the International Federation of Red Cross Societies.

The Cuban Red Cross maintains an overview of Cuba's medicines and medical supplies and distributes medical donations where they are most needed. Working to alleviate shortages caused by the US embargo, the Cuban Red Cross connects donors with hospitals and clinics around Cuba in order to distribute medical donations as quickly and efficiently as possible.

The Cuban Red Cross also responds to natural disasters in Cuba, helping to meet the needs of the Cuban population under extraordinary circumstances.

Interesting that Manuel ''Piti'' Fajardo is on this Red Cross medal, he fought alongside and was a Doctor with the rebel army.

At this point I would like to thank Vic for the kind use of his images. Here is a link to his site http://www.cubalibre1959.narod.ru/

• 4 years later...

Dear Taz,

i know this is a very old thread but perhaps you can answer a few questions about the cuban Order of the Red Cross. I just found very few infos, like it was instituted in 5 classes and that there were different models.

So I read in the discription of a Breast-Star "1st Model with stars", it was a golden Breast-Star with small silver fivepointed silver stars, between the axes of the red cross. But I also saw one colored the other way round. Was this another class or another model and how much models existed?

Did the investiture of the order end in 1961?

If you have any informations, I would be very pleased!

Thank you for your efforts!

Leo

Hi Leo,

As far as i know, yes there were five classes of the Order:

Grand Cross (the one you mention)

Commander

Officer

Knight

5th Class

There were various different makers of these awards which would lead to a few minor variations i would imagine, but to go as far as having reversed gilting I'm not too sure.

Saying this my field of expertise is more the Castro era awards and not these pre-castro ones, however if i find any relevant information i will post it here.

Regards Eddie

Edited by Taz

Dear Eddie,

thank you for your very fast answer!

So, only the Grand Cross had a golden Breast-Star with silver "little" Stars? Then the the silver Breast-Star with golden "little" Stars were probably the Commander.

Do you know how the classes were worn is there a similarity to the French Legion of Honor?

Grand Cross - golden Star with a Sash (I saw one set)

Grand Officer or Commander - silver Star with Neck-Decoration (?)

Commander or Officer - Neck-Decoration (?)

Officer or Knight (1st class) - Decoration with a Rosette on the ribbon (?)

Chevalier or Knight (2nd class) - Decoration without a Rosette (?)

Thanks a lot for any information!

Regards,

Leo

Hi again Leo,

this is how i understand it to be at the moment:

Grand Cross - golden Star with a Sash

Commander - Neck-Decoration

Officer - Decoration with a Rosette on the ribbon

Knight - Decoration without a Rosette on the ribbon

5th class - Decoration without a Rosette on the ribbon. Cross in bronze

All decorations have stars between the red cross arms, the Grand cross and commander grades had silver stars on the ones i have seen, in fact all were silverish in colour apart from the all bronze lowest grade come to think of it.

Regards Eddie

Edited by Taz

Hi Eddie,

thank you for your help! So the 5th grade was a medal, good to know.

Regards,

Leo

Leo,

should have said cross in bronze in case there is any confusion, no enamel work on this class at all.

Regards Eddie

Leo,

one point that i never mentioned was until when were these awarded.

In your original post you asked if it was up until 1961 i think.

Under Decreto ley 30 of 1978 the castro version was implemented, the Medalla "Cruz Roja Cubana" so i imagine up till then.

Have a nice weekend too,

Regards Eddie