News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Commander of the British Empire

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Recently picked this guy up. I'm quite amazed at the size of the medal and case. The detail on the pendant is quite amazing and you don't see these floating around very much. Sorry for the quality of some of the pictures, but the sun is going down and have been take inside the house.

Edited by Darrell

Unfortunately this CBE is not Halmarked as many early ones were. If i had to hazard a guess i'd say late 20's to Mid 30's. I'll go through my records at home to see if i can either expand or narrow that range.

Cheers

Chris

Guest Darrell

Hi Chris, I'd say later than 1953 based on the case (referring to "The Queen"). Earlier than 1953 if the case had reference to "The King".

The Type II medal dates post 1937 as that was the institution date of this type with King George and Queen Mary effigies.

Are you sure the Type I CBE's were halmarked?

Edited by Darrell

Recently picked this guy up. I'm quite amazed at the size of the medal and case. The detail on the pendant is quite amazing and you don't see these floating around very much. Sorry for the quality of some of the pictures, but the sun is going down and have been take inside the house.

I smiled at this, given the awards reference to the British Empire.

My bad i confused the details of the CBE with the MBE. I took a closer look at your pics. From DNW auction records of attributable groups and condition etc. i think 1970's is a safe bet on age. DNW has an online database of all their auction results from the early 90's to present day which you can search for free.

Cheers

Chris

Guest Darrell

My bad i confused the details of the CBE with the MBE. I took a closer look at your pics. From DNW auction records of attributable groups and condition etc. i think 1970's is a safe bet on age. DNW has an online database of all their auction results from the early 90's to present day which you can search for free.

Cheers

Chris

Someone somewhere (so many damn forums these days) mentioned that the CBE's are hallmarked "under the enamel". Is this true? Not that i'm gonna start chipping away to find out :rolleyes:

Guest Darrell

I smiled at this, given the awards reference to the British Empire.

Maybe the sun is setting on good old GB, but I bet the temps are not in the -30C's :speechless1: