News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 7 months later...
    Guest Wayne sinnott

Hi,

Anyone know anything about Wigan Police? I`m trying to find out more about Sgt Clifford Hamilton, he served during WW2.

Is there a museum or archives dept, that I could contact to try and find out more?

BJOW

The history centre at wigan is quite fantastic, there is a small archive room with about 8 viewers, gets busy so best to book, if you are interested I can get the details.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Anyone know anything about Wigan Police? I`m trying to find out more about Sgt Clifford Hamilton, he served during WW2.

Is there a museum or archives dept, that I could contact to try and find out more?

BJOW

It all depends on which part of Wigan Sgt Hamilton was stationed. During WW2, Wigan itself wasn't all that big but was a County Borough and had its own Borough Police Force. It was surrounded by Wigan Division of the Lancashire Constabulary. The latter had stations at Hindley, Ince in Makerfield, Ashton in Makerfield, Standish and (I think) Pemberton.

Wigan Borough, together with 11 other County Borough Forces were absorbed by the Lancashire Constabulary on 1st April 1969. The Local Government Reorganization, on the same date in 1974, saw the 'old' Wigan Division split up. The current Metropolitan Borough of Wigan is 'L' Division of the Greater Manchester Police.

Try the Greater Manchester Police Museum (www.gmp.police.uk) They can most likely point you in the right direction.