News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Show your immaculate Godet Spangen!

Guest Brian von Etzel

Here's a good one. I think they went through a few iterations but let's show them and discuss the differences.

Guest Brian von Etzel

Here's one on eBay now with a mini PlM I have no faith in whatsoever. But some say the postwar logo differs in that the Koeng. designation is gone. So I'd like to see what you have to show a good postwar button especially.

Hi Brian, has anyone tried to date the usage of the different styles? Just curious as it would be pretty spiffy to be able to add that to what we know about Gebr. Godet u.S?hn....

While I have had several nice pieces with their mark on minis, there was not anything that I could accurately pinpoint dates beyond an era.

Guest Brian von Etzel

What an amazing work of art the rosette is. Thanks, guys, maybe we'll get a good representation here and one of the smarter guys can date them. I figure mine is probably 1918 late or 1919.

Brian

Here are mine...

I can't add much to the dating process as neither have firm provenance... the 'no Koeng. = postwar' theory seems logical enough to me though, but that's only something I've read....

I do not think the PLM mini is wartime production...

Marshall

Guest Brian von Etzel

Marshal, YES, THAT'S the one I see copied badly. You guys, GREAT collection of buttons.

But yes Marshal, even if not wartime production, I think most were NOT, the button is perfect.

It's my belief most of these turned up postwar but I do NOT know. Certainly the cased PlM left no room for a mini. So, private purchase since von Etzel's was 'W'. NOT Godet. Hence the private purchase and I guess most of the civilian dressed vets found a need for them post nineteen nineteen. Make sense?

Edited by Brian von Etzel

Guest Brian von Etzel

Ralph, YES, same one I see copied. All those are obviously PERFECT. We have a rich thread of perfect Godet button backs. That is SO nice.

....I guess most of the civilian dressed vets found a need for them post nineteen nineteen. Make sense?........

Yes - a great deal of sense.

It's hard to picture a PLM winner at any wartime social occaision in anything other than full military dress - and therefore, as per regulation, wearing their full size PLM's.... the 20's being the most likely period of requirement for privately purchased mini's such as mine...

Incidentally - when did the Godet firm lose their crown jeweller status...?

For the record (unfortunately not the photographic one)

I used to have a full sized 1870 EK2 with 25 oakleaf, it was a cross that was 100% made during the WW1 era as it corresponded more to the WW1 crosses than the 1870 ones.

It was mounted in the same styles as Ralphs mini in post 10, and had the same style of button, obviously for wear on a civilian set of clothes.

Here is the back of a double EK mini. the presence of the HK ribbon says it is post '34. I would guess that Godet lost it's Koeniglich Hofjuweliere status when the Kaiser abdicated. When most of the reigning houses of Germany fell, there was no longer such a thing as a Royal Jeweler. Godet probably used up the button backs they had and then used the different design on new production buttons. The other possibility is that they changed when the name was changed to Eugen Godet and Co. sometime around 1924. I have never seen anything marked as such,(have you?) perhaps he still marked them J. Godet since the name was so well known. Andrea's site states the change to Gebruder Godet was in the late 20's or early 30's. I think the fact that Ralphs mini with the 1936 Olympic medal and the 1939 KVK 2 are on a button marked J.Godet & Sohn shows that there was an overlapping period of use of all of these buttons. There may be no way to form a definitive timeline for the usage of the various buttons.

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Ok guys, here is what I have been able to deduce from the post's so far.

Post 1 , Late Imperial Period 1910-1919.

Post 2 , 1920's.

Posts 4,5,6,10 , Imperial Period ( Early and Late). The rosette was considered to be 1870-1900 awards.

Post 8 , 20's to 40's.

Posts 9,18 , 30's to 40's.

Post 11 , Left, late imperial, 1910-1919. Right, 20's.

Post 12 , Left, Early imperial1890-1910. Right, 20's.

The time periods I have used are just possible examples. Now, what do you think?

Dan Murphy

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Guest Brian von Etzel

I see your dating perspective and it makes a lot of sense. I think the only fake is the one in Post #2 from eBay. The copy matches however your timeline in terms of style.

Guest Brian von Etzel

Interesting thread guys. Based on appearance, there's several I would have thought to be 1870ish but are bearing obviously much later awards!!

Hope to see some variations from this period.

• 3 years later...

Dear forumites,

I just wanted to stimulate a thread about pristine Godet Spange (only!)...

Here's one of my latest purchases... very banal and small... but immaculate and with vivid and colourful ribbons... like it came out of the time machine!

Ciao,

Claudio